Strategy MIDFIELD - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I know right. And did you read the posts about him? "Looks like the Clem experiment has failed" etc. Boek's tank is no bigger than Clem's.
The day you don't pick a small-tanked novice is the day you sacrifice, say, Tom Bell as the sub and he gets a measly 5 possessions in the last quarter, his match fitness is ruined and we still lose by 6 goals.

Injuries to Thomas and White were miserable accidents but I wouldn't expect it every week.

For development of our squad, pick the best 21 to run out 4 quarters. Use the sub to blood a kid. If you're relying on a sub to win the match for you, this ain't the fairytale of the 1970 grand final.

We have low expectations of our young mids and young draftees because of our history, I'll admit Boekhorst isn't nearly ready for AFL, he did look off the pace and did look as if he struggled to find the footy while doing a defensive job but you'd think as the sub he'd fill a role. I think Walker would be a good option for the sub position this week.

Clem is struggling to keep up a whole game too...but a sub really should be only playing a qtr and a half, not a full game.

I say give BB a shot, sometimes a go in the big league can bring the best out, qtr and a bit to show your stuff, make a great sub

Doesn't matter where someone was drafted or how old they are. A first year rookie is a first year rookie. Just because you're a first rounder, or just because you're a bit older doesn't mean you're entitled to a game. You need to earn it. If they give him a game when he doesn't deserve it he might turn into another entitled flog that doesn't appreciate his spot on an AFL list.

How is Isaac Heeney fit to play senior footy but none of our players from last year draft are???

Im not even talking about skill but Heeney ran his guts out last weekend against Port meanwhile our players cant run around the block.

Something tells me expectations at the 2 clubs might be somewhat different at Sydney you are demanded to be fit but at Carlton well lets see what happens........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't it worrying that Boekhurst, a guy that should be physically a couple of years ahead of the other draftees isnt? We drafted him, supposedly, to come in straight away yet he isnt ready. Makes the pick that much more perplexing.

Seemed like he didn't have the tank in pre-season.

I'm not saying he isn't any good. I think he will be solid. But he should be ahead of where he is physically. As a 21 year old opposed to an 18 year old.

Boekhurst just needs to build his fitness up.

A winger with genuine pace and kicking is exactly what our team needs. No point rushing him into the side until he is ready.

Considering Whiley and Jaksch will likely play a fair few games this year for us the trade isn't looking too bad so far.

DVR, Whiley, Smith, Jaksch, Boekhurst and Foster.

3 mids, 1 SF/mid and 2 KPP's. Fairly decent trade/draft period.

Drafting Duggan, Wright or La Verde alone wouldn't have solved our issue last year where we had a massive hole in the 18-21 age gap.

I'm not saying he isn't any good. I think he will be solid. But he should be ahead of where he is physically. As a 21 year old opposed to an 18 year old.

He was a fringe player at WAFL till his break out season. 20 games at WAFL level isn't the greatest platform to launch yourself into the AFL from the get go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back