Midfield 2022- 4 locks + ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Well it looks as though the die is cast for our trading this year , and given our #6 pick is gone, it is doubtful that we will draft a young midfielder that will contend to be picked in our midfield rotation.

I dont think many would argue that our best 4 midfielders next year will be-

1 Cripps
2 Walsh
3 Cerra
4 Hewett

But great sides in this modern game need another 2-3 very good mids to add to these 4. Who are our next 3 mids?
To start off , it seems that the emphasis from Vos and his assistants will be tough contested football, so who are the most likely?

My first nomination is Ed Curnow.
Ed has elite running and endurance, and is tough at the contest. Sure he is not an elite ball user but with the class of the above 4 mids around him, maybe his role can be refined so that he gets it out to them and he can concentrate on getting the contested ball. For me Ed is a definite.

My Second Nomination is Liam Stocker
Liam had a very solid 2021 after being in the wilderness in 2020. He showed the traits that attracted SOS in the famous first draft Live trade. For me he meets all the criteria that Vos will demand of our midfielders. He may even remind Vos a little of his younger self. Liam won many of our hearts in 2021 with his hard hitting, balls out , body-on-the-line play , often in support of his fellow players. I reckon vossy will love him. His one weakness -his endurance will be no doubt identified and thrown at him as a challenge to improve this preseason. If he manages to lift this part of his game, then I see no reason why a move from the backline to the midfield isnt a big possibility. As well as his contested toughness , he is also a beautiful kick.

My Third Nomination is undecided
There are about 8 players with some claims-

Leading the pack is Zac Williams: He needs to lift his attitude and fitness , but we need to remind ourselves as to why we went after him so hard last year. It was not for his half back prowess, it was for his ability as a midfielder. Clearly hampered by injury and a lack of physical preparation, his 2021 was underwhelming; If he can get fit anything is possible.

Brodie Kemp is a utility player. He could play in the midfield, or back or forward. Can take a strong mark, but is also quick . It will be interesting to see where Vos sees him playing.

Dow. To say he has been disappointing in his first 4 years, is being a little unfair. He had to manage huge expectations, and the reality is that physically he wasnt ready until 2021. He showed some signs at the end of this year. If he can improve his fitness again this year, he will be a real chance.

Kennedy. Matt started to show that he has a midfield role by playing well in the midfield when given a chance in 2021. He is a very good mark for his size and can kick straight. It didnt seem as though having him as a permanent forward worked under Teague. it will be interesting to see what Vos thinks his role should be

Cuningham. Always injured, always showing signs of class. At his best he is full of class. But will need to show that he can concentrate.

Setterfield. Played out of position (midfield) this year and was hardly sighted. Another player that Vos will need to decide what his role is.

Philp. Has plenty of ability.

From the best 22 thread my team looks like this:

B: Young Weits Plow
HB: Carroll Jones Saad
C: Cerra Walsh Williams
HF: Martin Charles Fisher
F: JSos Mckay Honey
Foll: TDK Cripps Hewett

Int: Kemp Dow Stocker Kennedy

Cerra Walsh and Williams rotating on the wings with Cripps Hewett Cerra Dow Stocker and Kennedy rotating through the contested stuff as well. Kemp off the bench can rotate through as can Martin, Fisher, Jsos and Carroll.

Doch and Cunners when they're back are more than capable as well. Plenty of ball winners and outside mids in the reserves still too. Ed, Setters, L'Ob, Newnes etc.

Good thread.

The obvious 4 are known, however I think next year Kennedy is going to be spoken about as a given starting midfielder.

That combo of 5 is going to be super strong.

I also think Dow will go to the next level on three factors;

1. he was already heading in that direction;

2. Voss as coach. Dow is exactly the type of player that Voss is ready to get into. Voss has the added benefit of being one of the best midfielders that has ever played. He can give advise on how to be a better midfielder, more so than say someone like Teague. This is the perfect coach for a player like Dow.

3. With Cerra's arrival; his draft year's crop; being considered probably equal or better than throughout juniors, he would want to catch up to Cerra's quality.

Whilst I have no doubt Stocker will eventually transition to the midfield, I see him right now as a tremendous quality defender. He serves the team with something no one else can. He might transition slowly latter part of the year, but it would require someone else coming in and doing his current job.

I think we're going to see Kemp follow the same path as Stocker. First grow that accountable defender role and then go into the midfield so that they are all accountable midfielders that run both way.

Seriously seriously strong midfield with growth to come.

Haven't even mentioned LOB, Carroll, Ed, Fisher, Cuningham, Forgaty, Philp.

Hell even mentioned Martin, Williams, Newnes, Honey who also played mid as a junior. And of course Docherty was playing more midfield before he went out.

That is a very strong best starting mid and a hell of a depth

Get excited guys

Stocker is Martin/Petracca and needs to be playing that role, you maybe right about his tank, but that was the knock on both Dusty and Traccs, Liam needs to be rotated through there next season and build on what he has shown thus far.

Dow carried injuries in his first few seasons (think it was a hip from memory). He has got a super powerful core a couple of games the ruckman tackled him he stood up and dished it off never looked like getting pulled down. He's still a bud that hasn't flowered yet, you can see some of the comparisons to Dagerfield as reported through his under 18 years. If he has a good pre season improving his tank he is the one for me.

Philp from the limited exposure thought he was really good at the contested footy, but prefer to put him on the wing, got serious wheels so why not use them.

Can only see Ed in the middle when Hewett is taking a spell, love Ed but we need to move past him.

Kemp needs to stay down back and cement his place in the side, (reminds me so much of James Clement) think the backline will be his home at AFL level.

1 Cripps
2 Walsh
3 Cerra
4 Hewett
5 Dow
6 Stocker

I'll take a slightly different approach and say I'd prefer Cripps, Hewett and Dow as our main midfielders. If Walsh and Cerra split their time about 50-50 on each wing it allows the likes of Stocker, Williams and a forward such as Fisher to rotate through.

We need to model our structure off the Dogs - the reason their midfield works so well is because of the group's versatility and the constant rotations. In our 22 we need 7-8 players who are capable of playing in our midfield.

Well it looks as though the die is cast for our trading this year , and given our #6 pick is gone, it is doubtful that we will draft a young midfielder that will contend to be picked in our midfield rotation.

1 Cripps
2 Walsh
3 Cerra
4 Hewett

But great sides in this modern game need another 2-3 very good mids to add to these 4. Who are our next 3 mids?
To start off , it seems that the emphasis from Vos and his assistants will be tough contested football, so who are the most likely?

Ed has elite running and endurance, and is tough at the contest. Sure he is not an elite ball user but with the class of the above 4 mids around him, maybe his role can be refined so that he gets it out to them and he can concentrate on getting the contested ball. For me Ed is a definite.

Liam had a very solid 2021 after being in the wilderness in 2020. He showed the traits that attracted SOS in the famous first draft Live trade. For me he meets all the criteria that Vos will demand of our midfielders. He may even remind Vos a little of his younger self. Liam won many of our hearts in 2021 with his hard hitting, balls out , body-on-the-line play , often in support of his fellow players. I reckon vossy will love him. His one weakness -his endurance will be no doubt identified and thrown at him as a challenge to improve this preseason. If he manages to lift this part of his game, then I see no reason why a move from the backline to the midfield isnt a big possibility. As well as his contested toughness , he is also a beautiful kick.

Leading the pack is Zac Williams: He needs to lift his attitude and fitness , but we need to remind ourselves as to why we went after him so hard last year. It was not for his half back prowess, it was for his ability as a midfielder. Clearly hampered by injury and a lack of physical preparation, his 2021 was underwhelming; If he can get fit anything is possible.

Brodie Kemp is a utility player. He could play in the midfield, or back or forward. Can take a strong mark, but is also quick . It will be interesting to see where Vos sees him playing.

Dow. To say he has been disappointing in his first 4 years, is being a little unfair. He had to manage huge expectations, and the reality is that physically he wasnt ready until 2021. He showed some signs at the end of this year. If he can improve his fitness again this year, he will be a real chance.

Kennedy. Matt started to show that he has a midfield role by playing well in the midfield when given a chance in 2021. He is a very good mark for his size and can kick straight. It didnt seem as though having him as a permanent forward worked under Teague. it will be interesting to see what Vos thinks his role should be

Cuningham. Always injured, always showing signs of class. At his best he is full of class. But will need to show that he can concentrate.

Setterfield. Played out of position (midfield) this year and was hardly sighted. Another player that Vos will need to decide what his role is.

I want Ed nowhere near the midfield unless he's tagging someone.

Wouldn't narrow it to a permanent 3-4 mids, more about rotations

Cripps, Kennedy, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett, Stocker, Williams, Martin, Ed

Unless Dow improves his defensive side, will struggle to play best 22

Massive rotation potential in that lot - really powerful line-up if they can get a real system going betwen the arcs - 3-4 goal a game difference each way.

I reckon all the 'bits' are in place now - to play a genuine all ground game - meaning the team can adapt according to opponent.

Opposition have to start shitting biricks wondering who to 'tag' over Cripps/Walsh/Cerra/Williams/Martin - the worst kick in your bunch above is Cripps - and if he just gets back to see ball get ball diosh off- there are plenty if kciking options now and running...

I'm very confident tbh - first time in years and years....confident notjust supporter optimistic.

1 Cripps
2 Walsh
3 Cerra
4 Hewett

Carroll in this list and he’s looking the goods too

Massive rotation potential in that lot - really powerful line-up if they can get a real system going betwen the arcs - 3-4 goal a game difference each way.

I reckon all the 'bits' are in place now - to play a genuine all ground game - meaning the team can adapt according to opponent.

Opposition have to start shitting biricks wondering who to 'tag' over Cripps/Walsh/Cerra/Williams/Martin - the worst kick in your bunch above is Cripps - and if he just gets back to see ball get ball diosh off- there are plenty if kciking options now and running...

I'm very confident tbh - first time in years and years....confident notjust supporter optimistic.

Agree regarding Cripps. I understand players want to add layers to their game, but as a side, Cripps at the coal face winning a contested possession and dishing to a runner makes us more dangerous as a side

Wouldn't narrow it to a permanent 3-4 mids, more about rotations

Cripps, Kennedy, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett, Stocker, Williams, Martin, Ed

the rotation I'm most looking forward to seeing
C. Walsh Stocker Cerra
That combo is going to seriously trouble some sides

So many combinations I'd like to see - depending on opposition

Walsh Martin Williams - for the silk factor

Cripps Stocker Kennedy - if oppsiiton needs some working over

Cerra Hewett Kemp - for the wtf where did they come from factor

A fit Cuningham Setterfield Dow - for the feel good factor

An Ed Hewwett Martin - for the need to shut them down factor

hahahah thats what a roll your own gets ya - over active thinking...

cheers baggers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without knowing loads about midfield tactics and stoppage setup tactics and what mids do when they don't have the footy (I find it difficult to watch anything but the ball and the player in possession in this wonderfully chaotic game) - I had a look at the centre bounce attendance stats and teams would generally have 5-8 mids (not include rucks) rotate through the centre bounce in a game.

I think we have a number of options of players that could be in that mix. I'm fascinated to see who takes the next step. Another pre season, another years development, some better players around them, new coaching mix all reasons why a few might. I'm tipping Dow to get decent midfield minutes and have a strong building year where he replicates a few of those gangbusting 1st quarters more often. Couple of years away from full-blown breakout. A fit Jack Martin could be a wildcard in there. Stocker, Carroll, Kemp, Philp all excite the hell outta me, may be a little way off but who knows.
Or then there's the Kennedy, Setterfield, Cuningham, Fisher, Willaims types that haven't set our midfield alight yet but maybe?

Great 4 locks at this stage, I'm feeling wildly optimistic that 2+ of those emerge out of all of those possibles and become high quality. Then we're set.

Enough to choose from, waiting for some others to cement their games as AFL midfielders.
Inside: 2. Dow 7. Kennedy 9. Cripps 13. Stocker 19. Hewett 35. Curnow 43. Setterfield

In/Outside: 5. Cerra 6. Williams 16. Carroll 17. Kemp 18. Walsh 21. Martin 25. Fisher 28. Cuningham 32. Newnes 34. Philp

Outside: 4. LOB 37. Boyd 46. Cottrell

Last edited:

Also needs to improve his fitness so that he's more involved in the game after quarter time. Started with a bang on quite a few occasions this year and then ended up with only around double his quarter time stats at full time.

Also needs to improve his fitness so that he's more involved in the game after quarter time. Started with a bang on quite a few occasions this year and then ended up with only around double his quarter time stats at full time.
Yup Paddy has a way to go before he’s a certainly for the engine room, aerobic capacity , staying focused & committing to hunt the ball are his deficiencies.
Can start 1st quarter with a bang but fades, same issue with Stocker both need to enhance their aerobic capacity. Dow also needs more work on his physique, as does LOB, shoved off the ball too easily.

Walsh, Kennedy, Cerra, Cripps, Stocker, Williams and Martin.

I can’t see Dow doing it but will keep an open mind.

Smokey is for Setterfield to become relevant like Kennedy did.

1 Cripps
2 Walsh
3 Cerra
4 Hewett

Explosive types
that will emerge are
1/Philp
2/Kemp
3/Cuningham [yes has experience BUT still has his best to come with a consistent run
all three need to be developed with midfield time because they add something very different with acceleration out of the stoppages

Walsh Hewett O'Brien
TDK, Cripps, Cerra

Rotations: Dow, E.Curnow, Stocker, Kemp, Fogarty, Cuningham, JSOS, Martin, Williams, Williamson

How can people look at the acquisition and Hewett and Cerra and think Kennedy is still in the 22? Ahead of who?
On 2021 performance, he's ahead of Dow. If we're looking at playing a more youthful side, he's ahead of Ed Curnow.

However, I still DO NOT have Kennedy in my 22. That's purely because I think it would be painfully slow to watch Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy all in the midfield together.

Walsh Hewett O'Brien
TDK, Cripps, Cerra

Rotations: Dow, E.Curnow, Stocker, Kemp, Fogarty, Cuningham, JSOS, Martin, Williams, Williamson

How can people look at the acquisition and Hewett and Cerra and think Kennedy is still in the 22? Ahead of who?
I think Kennedy is not only a fantastic midfielder who can gather the pill, he is also fantastic two way runner, really good mark on him and can kick a goal.

Like I said earlier, next year when we mention Kennedy's name, we will forget there was a conversation had where we're saying he doesn't have a spot.

For next season it will be Dow and Williams. With a couple others rolling through from time to time.

Stocker will be the year after.

Unfortunately, Ed Curnow is done.

I think it's awareness and game sense he needs to improve.

His distance covered and distance at speed numbers have generally been pretty good this year. Being ineffectual is the issue.

Perhaps he needs to be more forceful calling for the ball as well.

Walsh Hewett O'Brien
TDK, Cripps, Cerra

The fact he can play mid and go forward and kick goals, he is the best we have with that trait, how can you not select him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back