Strategy Midfield Crows Woes

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
If anyone could have worked through a tag, I would have bet my money on Sloane with gut running.
Narrator: he lost his money.

I don't think we ever gave him the option of changing up his role to use his assets to beat the tag. Just kept playing him stationary at the stoppage which made the tagger's job as easy as it could possibly be. It was infuriating to watch.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Not far from the truth though. I hope he plays half forward with pinch hits on the ball.
Wing or half back general for mine.

Midfield days are over. Just being prolonged by some misguided belief that he brings leadership and organises the midfield or something.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
I think his Leadership is fine for what we need at the moment.
Sure. Leadership is fine. But not worth a starting midfield spot.

We have a long history of this stuff. VB went on far too long for his off field leadership. We're constantly reminded about Dmac's off field leadership at training.

I never see other clubs exhorting 'leadership' as game worthy the way we do. It's ingrained in us for some reason and it offers little real world reward. Hasn't in the past and doesn't now.

Kenny Dee

All Australian
Aug 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

We have a long history of this stuff. VB went on far too long for his off field leadership. We're constantly reminded about Dmac's off field leadership at training.

I never see other clubs exhorting 'leadership' as game worthy the way we do. It's ingrained in us for some reason and it offers little real world reward. Hasn't in the past and doesn't now.
Agreed, hence why I think he should play half forward...

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Agreed, hence why I think he should play half forward...
The Richie Douglas role on a HFF? No thanks.

HFF is where we traditionally introduce our future midfielders. Having Sloane there would just bottle things up for little return.

I think wing is perfect for him. We have no wingmen to speak of since Atkins left (Jones, Seedsman?). It's a largely unaccountable position he could thrive in with his gut running and still give some voice to the mids.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

It just reinforces what this club has become. It's become a company where those who work there can have a long career as long as their intent is wholesome.

Winning premierships is secondary to long careers for our average performing well intentioned players.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

HFF is where we traditionally introduce our future midfielders. Having Sloane there would just bottle things up for little return.

I think wing is perfect for him. We have no wingmen to speak of since Atkins left (Jones, Seedsman?). It's a largely unaccountable position he could thrive in with his gut running and still give some voice to the mids.
I'd seriously look at a forward pocket role for him..he could play the puopolo role for us and shift mcadam to a half forward flank.

Sloane can take a contested grab, is a good set shot for goal and can apply tackling pressure which he can use inside 50 to.our advantage. It would / should prolong his career too so the length of contract he is onshould not be too much of a millstone around the clubs neck

I'd seriously look at a forward pocket role for him..he could play the puopolo role for us and shift mcadam to a half forward flank.

Sloane can take a contested grab, is a good set shot for goal and can apply tackling pressure which he can use inside 50 to.our advantage. It would / should prolong his career too so the length of contract he is onshould not be too much of a millstone around the clubs neck

I'd shift him into the Lynch role. He's a better overhead mark than Lynch, which is a bonus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No

McAdam is better at all of that where he is.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
I'd shift him into the Lynch role. He's a better overhead mark than Lynch, which is a bonus.
Basically wing pushing forward. I'd be ok with that. Just not a HFF role. We need new midfielders and their only gateway at the crows is HFF.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting comments from Knight about not getting more midfield time.

"If I had a coach that was brutally honest and said, ‘Look, you’re not going to play midfield for our club’ then I would have invested more time in my forward craft and became more than just the half-forward link sort of player."

I wonder if he ever looked at other clubs and if there was any interest. I suppose that he wasn't picked up this year is probably my answer.

Wish him well at the eagles.

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg

"If I had a coach that was brutally honest and said, ‘Look, you’re not going to play midfield for our club’ then I would have invested more time in my forward craft and became more than just the half-forward link sort of player."

I wonder if he ever looked at other clubs and if there was any interest. I suppose that he wasn't picked up this year is probably my answer.

hahaha whaaaat? This bloke DID rotate through the midfield at times, and was a plodder. And he's bang on when he says injuries prevented him from getting any continuity.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

Seems like a big sook to me.

hahaha whaaaat? This bloke DID rotate through the midfield at times, and was a plodder. And he's bang on when he says injuries prevented him from getting any continuity.

He had the ankles of a 70 year old. Shame because he had some toe about him early on.

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Yeah, but our traditional HFF introduction of young midfielders works terribly. They can't get near the pill and lose confidence.

Put sloane there, where maybe he can tackle and put a gut runner like Ned or Jones on the wing instead. Can't be worse than the current status quo.

Doctor B

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
If we move Sloane out to a wing/HFF I'm looking at our list for CBA midfielders.

I know I keep on harping on about it but the previous years lack of selection of youth is biting us on our backside now.

Possible CBA mids. How many A graders to lift us out of the bottom of the ladder?

Laird 160 games. Will be a regular
Crouch 125. Regular
Milera 62, out for the year.
Keays 46. Tries hard.
Jones 23, needs a huge lift. Probably better suited to an outside position.
Hately 13. ?
Schoenberg 8, need to get him in as much as possible.
then its 0 gamers.

Not suited to CBA but can roll through.
Smith 183.
Seedsman 110.
McHenry 8.
Hinge 3.

The player I would like to see go in for regular bursts is.
Doedee 30.
Great size, great footy brain, always gives 100%, good in traffic.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We need midfielders that can actually deliver the ball to advantage. With Milera going down I have no confidence that any of our midfielders can do this.

We need to fast track Pedler and Berry this year.

F#$k it you might as well throw Jones in there.

Pedler, Jones, Fog

Then Berry, Crouch, Hatley

Then Keays, Laird, Shoenberg

Mix these damn combinations up so we have variety in the midfield combinations.

I would never have Laird, Crouch and Sloane as a pairing again.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
fogarty is the one who should get into the midfield, hes not going to make it as a kpf. Id love to see him as a wrecking ball in there.
He's never going to make it as a full time mid either.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Wing or half back general for mine.

Midfield days are over. Just being prolonged by some misguided belief that he brings leadership and organises the midfield or something.
I just don't get the push to play him on the wing. What does he offer there? How would it be a better option than Smith, or Sholl, or Hamill?

The thing that he has lost most is his power running. Not his ability to crash and bash. Not his ability to tackle. So really, his inside game should be much better than his outside game.
The fact that his inside game has also almost entirely gone, should tell you that Sloane on a wing will not work.

I'm, on the half forward role with short bursts in the middle. I would be hoping and praying his one on one ability and his marking ability make him a dangerous forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back