Strategy Midfield Crows Woes

Remove this Banner Ad

If we move Sloane out to a wing/HFF I'm looking at our list for CBA midfielders.

I know I keep on harping on about it but the previous years lack of selection of youth is biting us on our backside now.

Possible CBA mids. How many A graders to lift us out of the bottom of the ladder?

Laird 160 games. Will be a regular
Crouch 125. Regular
Milera 62, out for the year.
Keays 46. Tries hard.
Jones 23, needs a huge lift. Probably better suited to an outside position.
Hately 13. ?
Schoenberg 8, need to get him in as much as possible.
then its 0 gamers.

Not suited to CBA but can roll through.
Smith 183.
Seedsman 110.
McHenry 8.
Hinge 3.

The player I would like to see go in for regular bursts is.
Doedee 30.
Great size, great footy brain, always gives 100%, good in traffic.
Sloane will be in there too.

The list is concerning though, we really need some one to have a break out year just to be competitive

Sloane will be in there too.

The list is concerning though, we really need some one to have a break out year just to be competitive
Don't worry Sloaney still thinks we can get back to being the best midfield in the competition and make the 8....
There is a fine line between positivity and delusion.

If we move Sloane out to a wing/HFF I'm looking at our list for CBA midfielders.

I know I keep on harping on about it but the previous years lack of selection of youth is biting us on our backside now.

Possible CBA mids. How many A graders to lift us out of the bottom of the ladder?

Laird 160 games. Will be a regular
Crouch 125. Regular
Milera 62, out for the year.
Keays 46. Tries hard.
Jones 23, needs a huge lift. Probably better suited to an outside position.
Hately 13. ?
Schoenberg 8, need to get him in as much as possible.
then its 0 gamers.

Not suited to CBA but can roll through.
Smith 183.
Seedsman 110.
McHenry 8.
Hinge 3.

The player I would like to see go in for regular bursts is.
Doedee 30.
Great size, great footy brain, always gives 100%, good in traffic.
Doedee would be ideal in the midfield.
The coaches keep talking about flexibility but they won't ever try anything different.

He's never going to make it as a full time mid either.
he doesnt need to be a full time mid, but every chance he could have a big impact in there now with the lower rotations. It seems we will never know, clearly whatever he is doing doesnt warrant games ahead of the 5-6 that wont be part of the next flag. He has pretty close to zero trade value as it is so at the very least some good performances in the midfield with a few snags on top could at least get us something for him.

Doedee would be ideal in the midfield.
The coaches keep talking about flexibility but they won't ever try anything different.
Lets first focus on getting Doedee through a full season of footy before we consider a move to the midfield

Lers also continue to target pure midfielders like Berry and Pedlar in our next draft

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The last two weeks have given a solid indication that we've got all the hard working, hard tackling, two way running squad players we need and went without in '19 and '20, but that we yet again came out of another draft without adding a single class ball user to the top of our midfield, a midfield that hasn't had a player of that type in the side since Bernie Vince was traded.

The last two weeks have given a solid indication that we've got all the hard working, hard tackling, two way running squad players we need and went without in '19 and '20, but that we yet again came out of another draft without adding a single class ball user to the top of our midfield, a midfield that hasn't had a player of that type in the side since Bernie Vince was traded.
Yes. Keep on saying it. Need to get two top 10 picks this year and spend them on elite ball using mids.

I'm sick of these good honest try-er types. We have a decent pick, I want class and speed.

Our midfield shouldn't consist solely of 2nd round picks.

Yes. Keep on saying it. Need to get two top 10 picks this year and spend them on elite ball using mids.
It's all well and good to say that but who were they in last year's draft and who are they this year?

The best 2 midfield ball users in last year's draft Campbell and Gulden weren't available to anyone but the Swans and no way were Sydney not going to match especially with Campbell.

That's the big problem great midfield prospects than are great kicks are at an absolute premium.

It's all well and good to say that but who were they in last year's draft and who are they this year?

The best 2 midfield ball users in last year's draft Campbell and Gulden weren't available to anyone but the Swans and no way were Sydney not going to match especially with Campbell.

That's the big problem great midfield prospects than are great kicks are at an absolute premium.

In your opinion who would have the best skills out of Horne, Rachele and Sonsie? Are any of the that Josh Kelly, Pendlebury, Bont style mid?

In your opinion who would have the best skills out of Horne, Rachele and Sonsie? Are any of the that Josh Kelly, Pendlebury, Bont style mid?
Haven't seen enough of Rachele and Sonsie tp pass an informed opinion at this point. Don't leave Campbell Chesser out of that discussion either. The little I've seen of Chesser I'd class his foot skills as very, very good and he's an excellent athlete and elite runner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh? I'm taking about this year's draft where we have the likes of Horne who is elite in just about every facet of the game.

FWIW I would have been happy calling Campbell's name at 2. I think we were the few that rated him right up there. If they match him they don't get mcdonald either.

Huh? I'm taking about this year's draft where we have the likes of Horne who is elite in just about every facet of the game.

FWIW I would have been happy calling Campbell's name at 2. I think we were the few that rated him right up there. If they match him they don't get mcdonald either.
You think Horne is an elite field kick? I'd say good but certainly not elite.

You think Horne is an elite field kick? I'd say good but certainly not elite.
From what I've seen he's pretty good. Not in the Pendlebury elite category, but importantly he makes good decisions.

Put that with his elite aerial ability, burst pace and hardness, it's hard to see him not being a dominant blue chip AFL player.

They did match him but the bloody Roos went Phillips instead of bidding on Campbell then Sydney don't get McDonald and the Roos would have still got Phillips.

Who knows but the Hawks might have got McDonald then?

The Richie Douglas role on a HFF? No thanks.

HFF is where we traditionally introduce our future midfielders. Having Sloane there would just bottle things up for little return.

I think wing is perfect for him. We have no wingmen to speak of since Atkins left (Jones, Seedsman?). It's a largely unaccountable position he could thrive in with his gut running and still give some voice to the mids.
Sydney are quick all around the ground and agile. Tariek Newchurch needs to become our wingman. Need elite speed

Sydney are quick all around the ground and agile. Tariek Newchurch needs to become our wingman. Need elite speed
Their ball movement with Pyke makes them look quicker than they are. We didn't really suffer from any blistering runs down the wing.

Key quote. It is perplexing especially if you can’t complete handball chains let alone foot.

Their ball movement with Pyke makes them look quicker than they are. We didn't really suffer from any blistering runs down the wing.
Would you give it all to Pyke though?
He probably designs some triangles.
Rules of the game now imply being with the ball is way easier than without it.
Put it down to skills coaching.
We had some good chains broken from poor disposal. Especially half back to wing in the cherry area.
They had better skill disposal.
Our style of play although different was up to it.

Would you give it all to Pyke though?
He probably designs some triangles.
Rules of the game now imply being with the ball is way easier than without it.
Put it down to skills coaching.
We had some good chains broken from poor disposal. Especially half back to wing in the cherry area.
They had better skill disposal.
Our style of play although different was up to it.
Not all down to Pyke obviously. But you can unmistakably see his influence. Remember he even made us look like the fastest team around due to ball movement.

Lot of hate for him on this board. I maintain he was never the real problem. We took a massive dump on him. A football boss worth his salt could've nullified that camp s**t almost immediately rather than arrogantly let it fester and leave the coach that took us to a GF and levelled up an almost unassailable showdown count hanging out to dry.

Not all down to Pyke obviously. But you can unmistakably see his influence. Remember he even made us look like the fastest team around due to ball movement.

Lot of hate for him on this board. I maintain he was never the real problem. We took a massive dump on him. A football boss worth his salt could've nullified that camp sh*t almost immediately rather than arrogantly let it fester and leave the coach that took us to a GF and levelled up an almost unassailable showdown count hanging out to dry.
A clever businessman who’s self made did not get hung out to dry. His periphery did and then you’d have to fall on it. That’s noble and acceptable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back