Midfield Restructure

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think OVERALL, we have an exciting mix of up and coming midfielders,. yes not all of them are as proven as some of our competitors, but maybe a few of them are going to absolutely breakout this season,..
I think we need to roll with in order (when fit) : Sloane, M.Crouch, B.Crouch, Cameron - As the core (across midfield/wings)
And then rotate in order (again when fit) Thompson, Milera, Wigg, Hampton, Knight, Seedsman, Atkins, Gore,..
I don't agree with disrupting our forward line or backline and shifting the likes of Smith or Betts out of their position,. then we will just weaken ourselves across the board.

Thommo can't rotate. He's either in the midfield or he's not playing.

Note: we cant build experience if we dont play the younger ones. Instead we play henderson, mckay, types
Absolutely agree. CEY is a great example of that where Brenton Sanderson failed to properly develop him early in his career.

But in saying that there is balance between youth and experience to be made. At the moment there are a lot of unknowns and we could benefit from a Lyons type (and I'm no fan of Lyons) who is known quantity. A player who can come in and play a role if the younger players need a chop out (or don't work).

As a side point playing hendo and McKay at anytime is pretty unjustifiable :).

I thought it was how soft he us and stuffs things up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He's not soft, he does have a crack, he just gets ragdolled around the contest. And I'm not sure he stuffs up too much, he generally just kicks forward to a 50:50. He's just a plodder who's physically not up to it and brings no weapons with him.

Lyons was a fringe player who had no scope for further improvement, and who would have hung around for years - occupying a slot that could have been used to develop a kid with greater potential. A list clogger.
I've posted similar comments on the main board about Lyons umpteen times. Most of them over there think that we 'lost' Lyons to GC rather than the fact that we didn't really want him. They just don't understand.

I've posted similar comments on the main board about Lyons umpteen times. Most of them over there think that we 'lost' Lyons to GC rather than the fact that we didn't really want him. They just don't understand.
"Lost" him? The AFC almost went as far as marching him out the door, with a gun pointed to his head.

"Lost" him? The AFC almost went as far as marching him out the door, with a gun pointed to his head.
Yes "lost". That's what the majority of opposition posters seem to think on the main board despite my repeated posts stating the opposite. Hell what do they know.

Yes "lost". That's what the majority of opposition posters seem to think on the main board despite my repeated posts stating the opposite. Hell what do they know.
They know Tom Doedee is the most likely draftee to fail, apparently...

Perhaps we pointed the gun at him and told him to get lost?

Interesting to see how he goes at Gold Coast.

With any luck he'll play in China.

We don't need a midfield restructure.

We need a new midfield coach!
Do the two have to be exclusive?
66758240.jpg

imgres

I supported the clubs decision to move on Lyons. But let me ask everyone the question: considering injuries to bcrouch, Sloane, Thompson and CEY - would you have him back?

I'm being optimistic about some up and coming players and believe (more hope) we can come up with an adequate midfield.

Do the two have to be exclusive?
66758240.jpg

imgres

Well you'd probably assume that with a new midfield coach would come a bit of a shake up, new ideas and yes, somewhat of a "restructure"

But we don't need a midfield restructure as such now, especially after losing CEY, which is the most minor of losses.

A new midfield coach should be the first issue addressed on the agenda. It should have been addressed a few years ago too, but still Campo fails to deliver anything of note and we just sit here scratching our head as to why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well you'd probably assume that with a new midfield coach would come a bit of a shake up, new ideas and yes, somewhat of a "restructure"

But we don't need a midfield restructure as such now, especially after losing CEY, which is the most minor of losses.

A new midfield coach should be the first issue addressed on the agenda. It should have been addressed a few years ago too, but still Campo fails to deliver anything of note and we just sit here scratching our head as to why.
I do agree that the loss of CEY is not cause for a midfield restructure.

The likely absence of Sloane, Brouch, Thompson and Lyons, relative to our 2016 SF team, is definitely cause for a restructure. Sloane should be back early in the season. We have no idea if/when Brouch & Thompson will be fit to play - neither will be taking part in the JLT series. Lyons' departure is permanent.

I supported the clubs decision to move on Lyons. But let me ask everyone the question: considering injuries to bcrouch, Sloane, Thompson and CEY - would you have him back?
No, I wouldn't. Moving him on was the right decision at the time and that doesn't change with the benefit of hindsight.

I'm being optimistic about some up and coming players and believe (more hope) we can come up with an adequate midfield.
No I wouldn't want him back. Knight will do his role I reckon and do it better. It was time to move Lyons on.

I see losing Thommo finally as a positive. Get Junior into his role, and move someone like Milera/Hampton into the midfield to add some class and speed.

I don't see Lyons as a loss either, considering Knight is still to come back into the side. Let's just say we break even for now, but I see it as a small gain. (I rate Knight and what he can bring highly obviously).

Sloane should be fine, and Crouch looks on track to play early in the season anyway. No need to panic.

Losing 2 slow, contested, vanilla inside players is hardly the need for a restructure.

We have some pretty skillful cattle in our ranks, Campo just doesn't know what to do with them, and he never has.

I see losing Thommo finally as a positive. Get Junior into his role, and move someone like Milera/Hampton into the midfield to add some class and speed.

I don't see Lyons as a loss either, considering Knight is still to come back into the side. Let's just say we break even for now, but I see it as a small gain. (I rate Knight and what he can bring highly obviously).
Neither of them represent a major loss, but they both need to be replaced in the team structure. Moving Knight/Hampton/Milera into the middle still requires a fairly major restructure.
Sloane should be fine, and Crouch looks on track to play early in the season anyway. No need to panic.
Sloane is the least of our concerns. He's our best player, but he won't be MIA for long, and his injury wasn't the kind that you'd expect to recur.

Crouch, on the other hand, has had continual problems with his hamstrings for a while now. He might be on track to play early right now, but how long will he stay fit? Given the lessons of 2016, it's a fair bet that he won't be hitting his straps straight away either.
Losing 2 slow, contested, vanilla inside players is hardly the need for a restructure.
Losing those players does create a need for a restructure. The likely replacements have very different strengths and weaknesses than the players they're replacing. Plug and Play just doesn't work - no matter how much Neil Craig used to think it did. That means a restructure is required.

Neither of them represent a major loss, but they both need to be replaced in the team structure. Moving Knight/Hampton/Milera into the middle still requires a fairly major restructure.

Sloane is the least of our concerns. He's our best player, but he won't be MIA for long, and his injury wasn't the kind that you'd expect to recur.

Crouch, on the other hand, has had continual problems with his hamstrings for a while now. He might be on track to play early right now, but how long will he stay fit? Given the lessons of 2016, it's a fair bet that he won't be hitting his straps straight away either.

Losing those players does create a need for a restructure. The likely replacements have very different strengths and weaknesses than the players they're replacing. Plug and Play just doesn't work - no matter how much Neil Craig used to think it did. That means a restructure is required.

I think we have different definitions of the word "restructure"

The way you put it, makes it seem like every time we have one maybe changes, things need to be "restructured" and completely overhauled.

I see it as a few tweaks to the system really, with some different personnel running through the midfield. Don't forget these players have been part of our set up for a while now and know what's what. The core of our midfield is still very much intact however. Whether or not I think that the core is heading in the right direction or being utilised properly by our coaches, is anther question...

I think we have different definitions of the word "restructure"

The way you put it, makes it seem like every time we have one maybe changes, things need to be "restructured" and completely overhauled.

I see it as a few tweaks to the system really, with some different personnel running through the midfield. Don't forget these players have been part of our set up for a while now and know what's what. The core of our midfield is still very much intact however. Whether or not I think that the core is heading in the right direction or being utilised properly by our coaches, is anther question...
Replacing one player is a minor restructure. Replacing 3 of them (4 if you count Sloane) is getting towards the major end of the scale.

How can you say that the core of our midfield is intact, given that Mrouch is pretty much the only member of our "core" midfield group from 2016 who is likely to play in R1?

Replacing one player is a minor restructure. Replacing 3 of them (4 if you count Sloane) is getting towards the major end of the scale.

How can you say that the core of our midfield is intact, given that Mrouch is pretty much the only member of our "core" midfield group from 2016 who is likely to play in R1?

Come on we all know Thommo will be lining up he is clearly part of 2016 mids

Totally agree with this point.. If we had of kept Lyons in 2-3 years we'd be complaining about how our midfield lacks A-graders.. By trading him,. we at least have a chance that A) one of our young unproven kids gets a chance and could develop and B) Myles Poholke & Matthew Signorello (that we attained in the trade for him and pick 71) could be anything.

I am Glad you brought Up Signorello, Since Bicks talked about him I have been doing some research on him ie watch the few games on Utube he has been in.(Northern Knights have a few game up on Utube) he has some of the cleanest hands I have seen in a while and some football smarts to go with it, He a good size, good speed and can find his own ball Time will tell if he makes it But I am tipping he will give it a good go.
So in trading Lyons the Crows got an inside mid at pick 44 allowing them the luxury of getting a tall player in Himillberg and then getting another potential inside/outside mid in Signorello before either GC, Essendon, Melbourne and Carlton. Most forget it was Lyons and pick 71 for 43 and 67,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back