Midnight Oil- relevant anymore?

Remove this Banner Ad

Triple M will tell you they are. Very average band. Got a bit of success overseas and Australians are obbessed with Australian bands who have success overseas, even average music groups like Midnight Oil

Im guessing you werent around in 80 - 81 cruising around with your mates and cranking Head Injuries to ear-splitting, partying, surfing etc. having the time of your life. Or seen them live at their peak.

If you weren't or didnt, you dont know s**t about the Oils.

Im guessing you werent around in 80 - 81 cruising around with your mates and cranking Head Injuries to ear-splitting, partying, surfing etc. having the time of your life. Or seen them live at their peak.

If you weren't or didnt, you dont know s**t about the Oils.

Well said mate. To this day, if any foreign person talks Aussie music the Oils are always the band I talk about. I love reading about people who were lucky to follow them in their day. When people whine that they are overrated and they preach, etc they know s**t all about MO. I find they dismiss just how well the lads could play together as a band, the dynamic musical side and just rag on about the lyrics and the message, etc. MO for my money are the very best band to come out of this country and as is often said the best live band at their peak and still damn good at the Relief Concerts a few years back. Like for alot of people their music brings me images of crusing up the coast, summer sun, parties, white sandy beaches, our outback.

Very difficult to take seriously a band whose lead singer's speeches reveal his singing voice to be a tawdry, grating affectation.

On a lulzier note,

[YOUTUBE]MRHbrRdhMPs[/YOUTUBE]

Ouch! :p

Re the original question - to me the message of their music is still relevant. Of course, it is tinged with the disappointment of Peter's backflips etc. But hell ... he is human and just turned out to be like just about every other polly in that he didn't make a change or stand by his ideals.

I think they peaked with Red Sails and loved the Goat Island concert - it was "JJJ" - I remember Peter saying that in between songs.

Ouch! :p

Re the original question - to me the message of their music is still relevant. Of course, it is tinged with the disappointment of Peter's backflips etc. But hell ... he is human and just turned out to be like just about every other polly in that he didn't make a change or stand by his ideals.

I think they peaked with Red Sails and loved the Goat Island concert - it was "JJJ" - I remember Peter saying that in between songs.

He said "JJJ is 10 today" as the concert was for their 10th birthday.

Was an amazing gig, sadly I was in Adelaide watching it on ABC simulcast.

Great show on Music Max last night on The Oils.

The opinions & comments from those outside the band where particularly interesting.

Gee they had balls to do some of the stuff they did!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with Midnight Oil is, when they started it was 95% about the music and 5% about the political message, unfortunately over the years that number has inversed.

Which, in turn (to answer the original question), rendered them irrelevant, because Garrett refused to live his values when he had the chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back