Mike Fitzpatrick on expansion and future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Speaking ahead of the historic finals clash between the Sydney Swans and the GWS Giants, Mr Fitzpatrick told the ABC's Saturday Agenda the 20-30 year view was to become the most popular sport across the entire east coast of Australia.

"We'd like to be the number one code," he said.

"That's going to be tough but I think that should be our objective and I believe with enough resourcing and support that's manageable."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-...-afl-strategy-and-future-of-expansion/7833224

Interesting, but how will the code become number one north of the Murrumbidgee with only 4 clubs.

Surely more than 4 Northern clubs are needed ?.

Thoughts !

Also a sound cloud link in that article.

AFL executive need to stop dreaming about being the popular code in the Northern states. There are inground historical and sporting cultural reasons for the football divide and all the promotion and marketing they can muster isnt going to significantly sway that.

A strong but sustainable niche is the best result for the game in NSW and QLD, even in the long term.

Last edited:
Speaking ahead of the historic finals clash between the Sydney Swans and the GWS Giants, Mr Fitzpatrick told the ABC's Saturday Agenda the 20-30 year view was to become the most popular sport across the entire east coast of Australia.

"That's going to be tough but I think that should be our objective and I believe with enough resourcing and support that's manageable."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-...-afl-strategy-and-future-of-expansion/7833224

Interesting, but how will the code become number one north of the Murrumbidgee with only 4 clubs.

Thoughts !

Growing the game North of the Barrassi line wont be helped by increasing amount of AFL clubs beyond those already existing, it will be about how effective the grassroots programs are and from that attracting more players that will hopefully translate into an increasing pool of NSW and QLD based draftees for both the men's and women's leagues.

Great listening there to Gerard and Mike. Interesting Vlad has never talked about domination of the east coast. Only to co-exist and provide a different option. These are some strong words from Mike Fitzpatrick - but good on him - as if Gallop or Greenberg would not want to be the dominant code.

As for the amount of teams, I think they need to bed down the two expansion teams, and the Lions are a mess. They need four strong and popular teams in NSW and QLD (not too unlike the Eagles, Dockers, Power and Crows). Redevelop Spotless in time (Metricon is happening anyway for Commonwealth games). And build 30 - 40k average crowds.

Academies need to fire to continue to pump out local talent. This will bind the teams stronger to their fanbases, and, as Fitzpatrick points out, lessen the go home factor.

It will take generations (if it does happen) - but they are building.

AFL executive need to stop dreaming about being the popular code in the Northern states. There are inground historical and sporting cultural reasons for the football divide and all the promotion and marketing they can muster isnt going to significantly sway that.

A strong but sustainable niche is the best result for the game in NSW and QLD, even in the long term.

He should want to be number 1. Success isnt driven by aiming to be number 2 or lower. Its by aiming to be the best and the biggest.

Thoughts !

More to being the top code than just the AFL teams.

I have NFI about NSW at all but I've been to SE Queensland and the game is growing heaps. Give GC time to be successful and footy will overtake the other codes in the area. A lot of South Easters hate soccer after the GC United debacle so it's a shootout between us and league over there.

Sydney will be the big one. Get football big over there and the sky's the limit.

I also think that people really overrate soccer in terms of how big it actually is up North. Outside Sydney, Brisbane (this is debatable) and Canberra, it's rugby that's huge in the other areas.

Newcastle, CCM and FNQ all have/had A-League sides but they're all piss small in support and from all reports the grassroots isn't strong (uhhh, CCM is a different story) and all have/had horrible finances and these are the areas the AFL should be targeting to grow the game.

Agree with all the points about bedding, helping, etc the current four Northern teams, i also have reservations about new clubs getting the depth of talent or talent across the league as a whole if new clubs are created, but if we look historically Sydney has been the prize the VFL/AFL has always been after, for example Collingwood played Fitzroy in 1903 at the SCG in front of 15,000, Melbourne played Essendon at the SCG in round 4 at the SCG in 1904.

Fast forward to the 1980's and the VFL leap frogged Canberra, a town /city that deserved a side at the time to move the Swans to Sydney, sure there are other metrics that says your code is on top, but IMO there is no way with just 4 teams in NSW and QLD that the code will ever become number 1.

IMO the AFL must have some sort of an idea to create or implant more teams in the Northern states and more than likely Sydney, new clubs working an area or communities are much better than the AFL rolling out auskick programs etc, participation has increased in the areas where the new clubs call home, one of the advantages the NRL clubs have locally in their districts.

The VFL/AFL have had their eyes on Sydney for 100 years, my bet is they have plenty of plans for new teams.

Opposite viewpoint here: NRL journo lamenting the lack of bold expanionism in the NRL.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...e/news-story/0905dbea430bf0a80f4a237063f14337

Frankly, I am bewildered that the NRL do not have 2 Brisbane teams. At a time when the Lions are on their knees - why would they not go in for the kill? The Lions will bounce up again - the AFL will see to it.

Re: Perth - they should have stuck it out with the Reds. Soon, the new Perth stadium will be in place and will be filled with 50-60k Freo and WCE fans every week.

Opposite viewpoint here: NRL journo lamenting the lack of bold expanionism in the NRL.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...e/news-story/0905dbea430bf0a80f4a237063f14337

Frankly, I am bewildered that the NRL do not have 2 Brisbane teams. At a time when the Lions are on their knees - why would they not go in for the kill? The Lions will bounce up again - the AFL will see to it.

Re: Perth - they should have stuck it out with the Reds. Soon, the new Perth stadium will be in place and will be filled with 50-60k Freo and WCE fans every week.

Can't say I know a real lot about the Brisbane RL situation, but if the Broncos power was diluted it is possible the code could run down its greatest asset and the Titans are only a hour down the road

He should want to be number 1. Success isnt driven by aiming to be number 2 or lower. Its by aiming to be the best and the biggest.
Quite right wookie

The NRL are drifting and not looking to expand anywhere any time soon whereas the AFL always has an eye on the bigger game.
The new AFL 7 is an exciting concept and opens a new market worldwide plus the new Womens game offers endless opportunities

The thing that saved RL & continues to give it a huge boost is State of Origin. It is & will remain the RL flagship event. Fitzpatrick is tugging his whistle if he thinks the AFL will be number one in anything less than a century & spending a few billion dollars.
Arrogant & ignorant.
(PS, come & tell me when GWS & GC each get to 50k full members, then I might think theyll go ok in the long term)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that saved RL & continues to give it a huge boost is State of Origin. It is & will remain the RL flagship event. Fitzpatrick is tugging his whistle if he thinks the AFL will be number one in anything less than a century & spending a few billion dollars.
Arrogant & ignorant.
(PS, come & tell me when GWS & GC each get to 50k full members, then I might think theyll go ok in the long term)

Nope, i don't think there is anything wrong at all aiming for number one, i will add that IMO the AFL and before them the VFL have had a missionary zeal to take the game beyond the Murrumbidgee in a big way, in fact many football supporters carry with them a missionary zeal, many on this board, i count myself proudly as one, i love seeing footy sowing seeds in areas it was not previously played.

He has come out and proudly said he hopes to be number one, whether that actually happens is yet to be seen, but they will give it there best shot.

Are they blinded ?, well many missionaries are, but they don't die wondering either.

Nope, i don't think there is anything wrong at all aiming for number one, i will add that IMO the AFL and before them the VFL have had a missionary zeal to take the game beyond the Murrumbidgee in a big way,

He has come out and proudly said he hopes to be number one, whether that actually happens is yet to be seen, but they will give it there best shot.

Are they blinded ?, well many missionaries are, but they don't die wondering either.

No but a lot of missionaries die. They get speared, staked out in the sun, then put in a big pot. :)

No but a lot of missionaries die. They get speared, staked out in the sun, then put in a big pot. :)

:thumbsu:, everyone dies, I lived through the coldest Perth winter ever this year, or at least it felt like it, looking forward to being staked out in the sun. :)

This bloke springs to mind - brother Pye, a missionary with footy on his mind.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/obitu...islands-father-of-football-20090531-brpo.html

Great story. - i may point out he was actually from NSW.

:thumbsu:, everyone dies, I lived through the coldest Perth winter ever this year, or at least it felt like it, looking forward to being staked out in the sun. :)

This bloke springs to mind - brother Pye, a missionary with footy on his mind.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/obitu...islands-father-of-football-20090531-brpo.html

Great story. - i may point out he was actually from NSW.

Yes they do. It is a great story.
I just hope the AFL doesnt get itself in any problems over extending itself into the deepest darkest footy north, but also by taking the homelands for granted.

Remember Pride goeth before Destruction, & a haughty spirit before a fall. ( old footy proverb ;) )

Yes they do. It is a great story.
I just hope the AFL doesnt get itself in any problems over extending itself into the deepest darkest footy north, but also by taking the homelands for granted.

Remember Pride goeth before Destruction, & a haughty spirit before a fall. ( old footy proverb ;) )
Never heard that one, I got the 3 D's - desperation, determination and desire

Thoughts !

Mike said:
"When you're putting it up against the heavy contact sports such as NRL and Rugby Union we have a bit of an advantage in being seen as a safer sport by the female population.''

How is AFL not a heavy contact sport like rugby and NRL? Surely if you're looking to avoid heavy contact, football (soccer) would be the best choice.

Mike said:
"When you're putting it up against the heavy contact sports such as NRL and Rugby Union we have a bit of an advantage in being seen as a safer sport by the female population.''

How is AFL not a heavy contact sport like rugby and NRL? Surely if you're looking to avoid heavy contact, football (soccer) would be the best choice.
Key phrase here is "...in being seen as a safer sport by the female population.'' Perception is everything :)

Anyone who has played both games - I have but only socially - would know that, yes, the hits may be bigger in the NRL - but only becuase the blokes are heavier, but you can always see whats coming and brace for contact. As oppsed to the AFL where you can get hit from anywhere - case in point the North Melbourne chap (forgot his name) who copped one in the kydneys on Saturday night.

Also, AFL players move a lot faster. Without getting too scientific here, momentum equals mass x velocity. I'd feel more safer colliding with a slower moving 100kg RL payer then getting blindsidedly crunched by 90kg AFL guy moving at speed.

As for Soccer - well injuries there are from the hips down although shin guards do help with that - no protective gear in the other footy codes.

Key phrase here is "...in being seen as a safer sport by the female population.'' Perception is everything :)

Anyone who has played both games - I have but only socially - would know that, yes, the hits may be bigger in the NRL - but only becuase the blokes are heavier, but you can always see whats coming and brace for contact. As oppsed to the AFL where you can get hit from anywhere - case in point the North Melbourne chap (forgot his name) who copped one in the kydneys on Saturday night.

Also, AFL players move a lot faster. Without getting too scientific here, momentum equals mass x velocity. I'd feel more safer colliding with a slower moving 100kg RL payer then getting blindsidedly crunched by 90kg AFL guy moving at speed.

As for Soccer - well injuries there are from the hips down although shin guards do help with that - no protective gear in the other footy codes.

NRL players are not that slow, some are very quick & they know how to hit too! They dont seem as concerned with head injuries as the AFL are. That is a worry.

The AFL allow to many sly punches & knocks. Players should be cited for crappy kidney punches & gut punches, or any sly contact off the ball. They'll stop that childish shyte then.
Soccer players cop head knocks from falls & heading the ball.

Your right, everyone I know that plays both has said the same thing. Average hits in RL are heavier, but you know they are coming and are braced for them. Also, the runner can have some momentum in RL but the tackler is usually relatively stationary.

There are 2 big issues for women.

Continuous front on contact.
The tackler has to stop and drop the ball carrier.

Both these favour players with size and power. Lots of women like looking like Jane, they do not want to be Tarzan.

The fact that a lot of the tackling in footy is from the side or behind means even a small player has a chance, they just have to be able to hang on.

A sport that favours endurance, low skin folds, and strength without lots of bulk, yet still has lots of contact and tackling sits in the sweet spot.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

NRL players are not that slow, some are very quick & they know how to hit too! They dont seem as concerned with head injuries as the AFL are. That is a worry.

That just simply isn't true mate.

Players who suffer head knocks must pass a stringent concussion test before they can come back on the field, just like Kennedy did for the Swans on Saturday afternoon. Rugby league has almost completely sanitised the game. Punching is a sin binable offence, no shoulder charges are allowed and high tackles are penalised. Apart from bringing in grading at junior level they can't do anymore than what they already have done to make the game safer.

The AFL allow to many sly punches & knocks. Players should be cited for crappy kidney punches & gut punches, or any sly contact off the ball. They'll stop that childish shyte then.

Just seems to be part of the game which even the mothers accept.

Your right, everyone I know that plays both has said the same thing. Average hits in RL are heavier, but you know they are coming and are braced for them. Also, the runner can have some momentum in RL but the tackler is usually relatively stationary.

There are 2 big issues for women.

Continuous front on contact.
The tackler has to stop and drop the ball carrier.

Both these favour players with size and power. Lots of women like looking like Jane, they do not want to be Tarzan.

The fact that a lot of the tackling in footy is from the side or behind means even a small player has a chance, they just have to be able to hang on.

A sport that favours endurance, low skin folds, and strength without lots of bulk, yet still has lots of contact and tackling sits in the sweet spot.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

RL allows many more head high hits go unpunished in the act of tackling.

From watching womens games live and on tele, the women seem to have ( but not all) a bit of a lack of peripheral vision which helps you stop getting blindsided by a tackler, i also think some of the girls have taken the old adage keep your eye on the ball a bit to literally, everyone needs to have a squiz even the best players, whilst it may be gutsy running with the flight of the ball into a oncoming pack Jonathon Brownesque it can actually at the same time be pretty stupid and quite detrimental to your team.

The worse your disposal is the more the ball is contestable, the more the ball is contestable, the more impact injuries you will have.

That just simply isn't true mate.

Players who suffer head knocks must pass a stringent concussion test before they can come back on the field, just like Kennedy did for the Swans on Saturday afternoon. Rugby league has almost completely sanitised the game. Punching is a sin binable offence, no shoulder charges are allowed and high tackles are penalised. Apart from bringing in grading at junior level they can't do anymore than what they already have done to make the game safer.

Just seems to be part of the game which even the mothers accept.

Im no thugby loig person so l'll accept your account. It just looks brutal.
I doubt anyone really likes or accepts the childish sniping that goes on. The umpires need to report & fine players for illegal contact meant to incite a response. It is a blight on the game which kids copy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back