Mike Fitzpatrick on expansion and future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Im no thugby loig person so l'll accept your account. It just looks brutal.

All good. Obviously there will be people with, or who claim to have very little interest in RL who think the same and yes the game certainly is still physical, but player safety has become paramount. I would at least acknowledge Garlic munchers claim that high hits do go unpunished simply because a grab on the shoulder isn't regarded as a high tackle in RL.

I doubt anyone really likes or accepts the childish sniping that goes on. The umpires need to report & fine players for illegal contact meant to incite a response. It is a blight on the game which kids copy.

They certainly do and it's definitely a part of the game which should be removed.

Last edited:
One look at football (soccer) players compared to AFL/NRL/Rugby players shows a physical difference. Soccer and hockey players are slim, skilful and svelte compared to the others. Each to his own.

One look at football (soccer) players compared to AFL/NRL/Rugby players shows a physical difference. Soccer and hockey players are slim, skilful and svelte compared to the others. Each to his own.

Yer you got me

what a absolute croc of sh1te :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to offend you, Garlic Muncher.
I see it as clear cut.
If you were to take every player in each of the codes mentioned a clear average difference between participants would emerge.

This is what you said ---- Soccer and hockey players are slim, skilful and svelte compared to the others.

As i said you are full of s**t.

Go back to the drugs board and keep ringing Gillon about your son- i don't care.

I'm done

I'm sorry to offend you, Garlic Muncher.
I see it as clear cut.
If you were to take every player in each of the codes mentioned a clear average difference between participants would emerge.
You equated skill level directly to size. If you are female and over a size 8 you cannot possess skill?
That is not what you said - and you are full of sh1te.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Na, disagree. Plenty of slim and skillful players in the other sports.

For a start, skill is about hand/eye, foot/ eye coordination. Its about game & team specific coordination. ie sports intelligence. Dont start the shyte about soccer players skill. They are no more skilful than anyone else. Cricket takes immense skill, so does basketball & AusRules. So too other games. Try professional darts! Skill with the ball & skill with ones own body. Nor are they more 'svelte' or whatever crappy word you want to use. All elite sportsmen, apart from front rowers & sumo lads! keep an eye on body fat levels. Also dietary intake.
I could say soccer players are weak & gutless because they play a girls game of very little contact. But that would be silly too, wouldnt it.

Mike said:
"When you're putting it up against the heavy contact sports such as NRL and Rugby Union we have a bit of an advantage in being seen as a safer sport by the female population.''

How is AFL not a heavy contact sport like rugby and NRL? Surely if you're looking to avoid heavy contact, football (soccer) would be the best choice.

AFL is pretty safe

I played a lot of footy as a kid, and the worst injury that I saw was a broken leg and a concussion

If the choice is between rugby, soccer and AFL, concerned mums will look at AFL and soccer as pretty even imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL is pretty safe

I played a lot of footy as a kid, and the worst injury that I saw was a broken leg and a concussion

If the choice is between rugby, soccer and AFL, concerned mums will look at AFL and soccer as pretty even imo

Yep, i reckon that is pretty close.

Senior football is very different to junior football, footy until about year 10 is a very safe sport and even more so recently with several forms of tackles outlawed ( sling tackle etc ) in the last season or 2.

There really has been a concerted effort from both officials, parents and players to play within the rules and spirit of the game, of course i am only talking about my little patch.

AFL is pretty safe

If they know AFL. Those that do not, will view Soccer as safer.

AFL is pretty safe

They'll go soccer most of the time. History and the numbers dont lie. What really differentiates the AFL from soccer though is the cost. Soccer fees can be well over the top - especially if your kid makes a rep side, whereas footy clubs charge bugger all.

Tell me then, your reasoning?
Surely women should choose their sport dependent on their attributes and interests?
If you're 80kg, fast and agile maybe rugby sevens is the right choice or if you're 50kg and have both speed and endurance, soccer is better.
Diversity and choice is important.

I would have thought that Daisy Pearce wouldn't weight a lot more than 50kg.

Some things that are against Rugby League is the significant increase in Islanders in all levels. A lot of parents will not let their kids play as the size difference of the Islander kids at the same age is huge. Another thing about the Origin matches that is effecting support is the fact Queensland have won 9 of the last 10 series. Before that there was a good chance that either side could win. The Qld dominance is effecting support and ratings. If you look at both of these factors and the number of people playing RL is has been slowly going down in a lot of areas or static. I think if it was available to be played more in Qld AFL would be taking off more than it already is. I watched league until about 10 years ago. I went to my first Lions game and wouldnt go back to league. And this is following a side that has been crap the whole time.

Some things that are against Rugby League is the significant increase in Islanders in all levels. A lot of parents will not let their kids play as the size difference of the Islander kids at the same age is huge. Another thing about the Origin matches that is effecting support is the fact Queensland have won 9 of the last 10 series. Before that there was a good chance that either side could win. The Qld dominance is effecting support and ratings. If you look at both of these factors and the number of people playing RL is has been slowly going down in a lot of areas or static. I think if it was available to be played more in Qld AFL would be taking off more than it already is. I watched league until about 10 years ago. I went to my first Lions game and wouldnt go back to league. And this is following a side that has been crap the whole time.

Not sure whether QLD winning dilutes support and ratings, but IMO QLD considers itself the underdog and outsider, historically that may actually be correct, however these days QLD really is the world home of the game, even NRL CEO's have confirmed that.

The Islander influence at junior level is just something that will be ongoing, other codes have been benefitting from that for 20 years now

Mike Fitzpatrick and the entire AFL Commission is made up from some of the smartest people in the country and it shows with their gutsy forward vision for our game and strategic thinking unlike the NRL that seems to be in a time warp.

I look forward to the day when GWS is in the GF and Sydney people get on board and as we know Sydneysiders are great band wagoners.

Mike Fitzpatrick and the entire AFL Commission is made up from some of the smartest people in the country and it shows with their gutsy forward vision for our game and strategic thinking unlike the NRL that seems to be in a time warp.

I look forward to the day when GWS is in the GF and Sydney people get on board and as we know Sydneysiders are great band wagoners.
Swans have a decent supporter base and GWS has experienced significant growth, overtaking Gold Coast's membership numbers in 2016.

I'd expect an explosion of new memberships for GWS in 2017 on the back of what you're saying, a bunch of bandwagoners. I'll be one of the new members in 2017, but not because I'm a bandwagoner. Once I'm on board I'll be on board for good.

Swans have a decent supporter base and GWS has experienced significant growth, overtaking Gold Coast's membership numbers in 2016.

I'd expect an explosion of new memberships for GWS in 2017 on the back of what you're saying, a bunch of bandwagoners. I'll be one of the new members in 2017, but not because I'm a bandwagoner. Once I'm on board I'll be on board for good.

So maybe make us a prediction of Memberships & finances for 2017.

Based on your premise of there being a large bandwagon contingency jumping on board? Or on actual realistic projections? I'd say conservatively around 17K, but I'm hoping for at least 18K.

Memberships onward & upward is as good as anyone can ask, finances: well, who knows the current position to speculate?

The salary cap 2017 (?), known officially as Total Player Payments, is A$10,600,000 for the 2016 season with a salary floor of $10,070,000 except for GWS, whose salary cap is $10,886,000 with a floor of $10,336,000. $500,000 p.a isn't a big deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back