Mike Sheahans post season Top 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure. But as I said Rance has that extra thing that just makes him special and better than anyone else.
The impact he has on games is unlike any other defender. The way he reads the play, leaves his man to go to another contest and it never backfires, the desperation spoils, the one on one wins, the contested marks, the rebounds out of defense.
Theres a reason hes in the conversation of the best of defender of all time. And its nothing to do with Vic bias.
Rance is the greatest defender of all time. People might point to bodies of work, or great opponents in the past, but no one has done what he does. Back in the day being a defender was beating your man, who was usually a good player. Well for most of the AFL it's still mainly that and the basic aerial protection of your backline. But with Rance, he basically scares you from kicking the ball forward. He's like a forcefield that spans 40 metres. It's f*#*ked
Don't know if you watch many Eagles games but Gov does all those things to the point where commentators continuously point out when opposition teams bomb it long why their coach lets them do it when McGovern is anywhere within the back half as he reads the play so well. Then when he's done it for half the game the other team just chips it sideways to avoid him.

Of course this would be even more pronounced if our midfield wasn't so s**t.

Don't know if you watch many Eagles games but Gov does all those things to the point where commentators continuously point out when opposition teams bomb it long why their coach lets them do it when McGovern is anywhere within the back half as he reads the play so well. Then when he's done it for half the game the other team just chips it sideways to avoid him.

yeh Gov is an animal also. lost like 8% of contests this year. he'll be an all timer too. the games different now obviously and these types of players thrive with source pressure now a thing, but gravity/forcefields on the defensive end is just amazing.

yeh Gov is an animal also. lost like 8% of contests this year. he'll be an all timer too. the games different now obviously and these types of players thrive with source pressure now a thing, but gravity/forcefields on the defensive end is just amazing.
All about intercept possessions and 'slingshot' play currently.

Never said he wasnt good at it. But Rance is a teir above the best defenders.

Yes, yes he is.[
Gov is a better contested mark, intercept mark, rebounder and not far off Rance defensively.
Rances super human ability to repel everything coming in, experience and leadership makes him a better player and hes defo top 5 in the AFL but the gap isnt that big

If he put Sidebottom in the top 10, Andrew Gaff should be around that mark too. They have similar stats (Gaffs are superior) and are both scared of contested ball.

ohhZab.jpg

But of course most poeple dont have Gaff in the top 50 best players o_O

Re:Rance being overrated. I'm trying to decide who's opinions I should listen to. Leigh Matthews ( knows a bit about footy) or the posters on BF.

Re:Rance being overrated. I'm trying to decide who's opinions I should listen to. Leigh Matthews ( knows a bit about footy) or the posters on BF.
Leigh Matthews is inarticulate and out of touch. I think there's many on BF with better viewpoints.

Having said that, Rance is f***ing amazing and i reckon goat defender

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leigh Matthews is inarticulate and out of touch. I think there's many on BF with better viewpoints.

Having said that, Rance is f***ing amazing and i reckon goat defender

Two things.
Firstly, I'm not really sure that a persons capacity to form valid opinions is predicated on his facility with the language. Leigh certainly has the ability to make himself understood, which is sufficiently articulate in this space surely.
Secondly, do you have evidence of him being "out of touch". Since his opinion of Rance aligns with yours I'm assuming that you accept his opinion as an indication of his (Leigh's) relevance.

Two things.
Firstly, I'm not really sure that a persons capacity to form valid opinions is predicated on his facility with the language. Leigh certainly has the ability to make himself understood, which is sufficiently articulate in this space surely.
Secondly, do you have evidence of him being "out of touch". Since his opinion of Rance aligns with yours I'm assuming that you accept his opinion as an indication of his (Leigh's) relevance.
i'll cop number one. totally fair, his poor articulation of his views is just annoying to me and was a gratuitous mention in hindsight.

out of touch... just look at the end of his coaching career. no one would honestly back him to be a good coach now would they? he, nor the vast majority of footy media, rarely if ever gives us an insight into the tactical and predictive nuances of modern footy. he's one of many in a horribly run footy commentary industry

and onto your last assumption, you do realise that i can agree with him in this case without agreeing that his viewpoint is more reliable than a bf poster don't you? if anything it's evidence that his viewpoint is the same as a bf poster, as i am one- but that's a poor way coming to a conclusion. do i really have to point out that this is just one opinion of his? just like the people you're disagreeing with here on bf are just some bf posters. there are plenty who enjoy a nuanced, and well articulated view, of how the game works.

find an article on Rance echoing what i've said previously in this thread written by Leigh or any other footy journo twat. the industry is run by old boys and professional writers and analysts don't exist in it. David f***ing King is the closest. Connolly and Flanagan are old creatives who love the romance and language and they've seen some footy but the industry fails to follow the evolution of the "how" in the footy landscape. Which is sad because it's one of the best parts of it. clinging to the views of past heroes with many flaws is a culture i hate about this game and saying "he's done this, i'll take his opinion over yours" is silly when you can just address the content of people's arguments individually if you really want to decry them.

Dusty, Danger and Josh Kennedy [GWS], 3 out of 25 Mike.
Obviously did't see too many Brisbane games for Zorko not to be in top 10.
Obviously didn't see past Danger to notice a bloke called Joel Selwood.
Obviously shied clear of drug scandal with Zac Merrett
Obviously I know more than you do Mike, but keep trying, you can only get better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back