Mike Willesee - A ‘True Believer’ - RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I have been waiting to post this until the Swans released their tribute, so now they’ve done that, here it is.

In the long history of any sporting club it is usually impossible to attribute its success or even existence to one single person and the Swans are no exception to that. However, there are often key moments which directly shape that history and Mike’s leading role in the late 80s and early 90s, along with the rest of the “Private Ownership Group”, definitely directly helped secure our existence at a time when many actively sought to close us down forever.

If you were not around during that period (and even if you were) I urge you to read the article and salute a true champion of the mighty Red & White.

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2019-03-04/farewell-to-a-true-believer

Great bloke would mix with anyone . Was up at Carrara for a Bears game , got in the rooms pre game and Mike came up and introduced himself. Met him a couple other times and he was a beauty. Very sad and they don't make journo's like him anymore.
They really don’t make journalists like him anymore.

Terrific bloke. I once ended up in a boozathon at the Curtin Hotel with him and another mad Bloods fan in RJHawke among others. I was soon under the table and despite a two day hangover I was still laughing at his stories.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back