Review Miles Poholke Is 2019 Make Or Break For Him?

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
How many years did CEY get before he played 10 games?

Reckon Dylan is safe for a couple of years still
Height buys years imo, basically if you're tall you're given a decent amount of time to prove you can't play football before you're canned.

While CEY mightn't be tall in comparison to the biggest in the game, he is rather tall as a midfielder and came in as a project player. Still blows my mind that someone like McKernan who is now heading into his 12th season at AFL level, hasn't played over 10 games in a season since his second season way back in 2011 (only other double figure number was 10 games this season). Has managed to play his role at Essendon when required but he's someone that hasn't 'made' it as such (in terms of breaking into the 22) but has remained at AFL level for as long as he has.

Iron

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thought this guy would make it and gooch would struggle. Win some lose some.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I thought he showed a bit in his first game against Sydney this year. Not much to get excited about since then. I'm not writing him off yet, but this will be his 3rd season on the list - you generally need to start making a mark then or you're on shaky ground.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hes a big kid, great overhead and solid skills.

Just doesnt have that something extra that you need to succeed at the top level.
The only thing I've seen in him that does look to be top level, is his ability to get first hands on the ball from a stoppage. Uncanny ability to be right at the drop from a ruck contest.

If we freeze frame right there it looks great.

Problem for him is what happens next.

Clocks ticking on him figuring that out.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
From memory he is contracted until 2020, but I do tend to think that he's not going to make it.

He seems like one of those guys who has the potential to be a great SANFL player, but just doesn't have the weapons needed to be an AFL player.

Seems like a great guy, but I haven't seen anything yet that even remotely suggests that he can break into our best 22.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
He'd have to have several spectacular games in the SANFL to even break into the AFL side or lots of injuries and even then I don't think he'd stay long. Hopefully he has a good year in the 2's, would be nice trade bait at the end of the year.
He'd need to play at least a dozen AFL games in 2019 to be trade bait. Even then, a player with 20 games in 3 seasons that was originally pick 44 is probably only going to get you a third rounder, if that.

Personally I don't think he's going to make it as he doesn't have a particular quality that differentiates him from all the other "ok" footballers going around at every club. Happy to be proven wrong though.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
He's got plenty of work to do currently, in a lot of those 9 games he showed little composure and on more than one occasion looked like a deer in the spotlight. I hope you're right but I'm not seeing it.
Not to mention that he got several of those 9 games due to the fact that we had a heap of injuries, rather than Poholke's form demanding he be picked in the team.

Yup it's make or break time for Dylan. 3rd season now, and not really a project player which means he either needs to be in the best 22 or really bashing the door down.

Hopefully the fitness has massively improved as that is the first step here.

20 years of age. Bit early to call him a bust. Still developing and learning his trade. People may or may not be right that he lacks the tools. I'll sit on the fence a while yet.

The age isn't important here. What is important is the amount of preseasons. We're at 3 now and I doubt Myles has enough tools to stay on the list for 5.

It's very much make or break, especially seeing there will be more competition next year for midfield spots with Jones/McHenry + what we have now.

beartoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Moana Heights Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
The age isn't important here. What is important is the amount of preseasons. We're at 3 now and I doubt Myles has enough tools to stay on the list for 5.

It's very much make or break, especially seeing there will be more competition next year for midfield spots with Jones/McHenry + what we have now.

It may or may not be....but I'm not in his corner so I'll leave it there.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why are people calling him Dylan? I feel like I missed the memo there.
Interviewed early in the season by Roamin Brian who called him Dylan, wtf? Threreafter he will always be Dylan to me.

After two seasons some on BF were questioning Milera.
After two seasons Doedee had played no games and many were questioning the Dude.

Dylan has the same lack of tools as a young Scott Thompson. The only new recruit that he is competing against as CJ. We will need to replace Gibbs in a couple of years, possibly Sloaney and Brouch.

Patience is a virtue.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I don’t see what the club sees in him

Then again, they’re paid for it, I’m not, so I’m happy to be wrong

Good luck to him
A big bodied midfielder who can take an overhead mark and moves to the right positions more often than not ?? I can certainly see something recruiters would like, but he needs to lift.

Back