Review Miles Poholke Is 2019 Make Or Break For Him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I watched him through the season, at a few games live as well. He didn't get a lot of "just hang on a flank or a pocket and find your way" time, he was in the middle doing the heavy lifting. Maybe his lack of quick decision making was based on him being knackered or when I was watching behind the goals, forwards standing with hands on hips or leading when he was backing away from the mark.

He definitely needs to increase his awareness but sometimes last year all I could see was him thinking "are any of you campaigners going to lead"

It may or may not be....but I'm not in his corner so I'll leave it there.

I want him to make it, as I want anyone we have too however it really has to be this season coming up if he wants a long career. Next year it gets a lot harder.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
I watched him through the season, at a few games live as well. He didn't get a lot of "just hang on a flank or a pocket and find your way" time, he was in the middle doing the heavy lifting. Maybe his lack of quick decision making was based on him being knackered or when I was watching behind the goals, forwards standing with hands on hips or leading when he was backing away from the mark.

He definitely needs to increase his awareness but sometimes last year all I could see was him thinking "are any of you campaigners going to lead"
Top 10 finish in repeat sprints at the 2016 draft combine would suggest endurance shouldn't be a factor.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
No zip. At his size you need zip at this level.
Have you ever watched Dylan play a game?

At the start of last season he was 186 cm (over 6 foot 1 inches) and 86 Kg.
He is developing into a big unit.
He is far from slow for his size. I agree he needs to improve decision making, he often takes too long looking for the best option but he will improve with experience.

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Have you ever watched Dylan play a game?

At the start of last season he was 186 cm (over 6 foot 1 inches) and 86 Kg.
He is developing into a big unit.
He is far from slow for his size. I agree he needs to improve decision making, he often takes too long looking for the best option but he will improve with experience.
No I've never seen him play :huh:. His size may be the problem. He looks a bit heavy to me. His slow reflexes can be partly mental and partly physical, but he's on a 1 year contract for a reason so he'd better improve them soon

Oct 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Difference between Poholke and Davis is that Davis has huge amounts of potential. I'm not 100% sure what Poholkes weapons are outside of trying hard on gameday.

Myles is also a year younger than Davis - hoping he will have a breakout year and am not so keen to write him off just yet, but his end of season review seems pretty non-descript which doesn't inspire me with too much confidence.

Glenny83

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m definitely not writing him off, agree I thought similar this year that he wasn’t up to the pace yet. He’s still played only nine games so his curve for improvement will rise this year after another pre-season. If he can show poise, good decision making under pressure this year whilst increasing his accumulation on this year, he’s doing everything we’d hope for IMO.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
How about we look at it from another angle...the fact he’s actually played 9 games with us this year says a lot of what the club thinks of him. In a second AFL season, 9 games is a pretty fair effort.

Also, who here actually thinks he can’t improve further with his decision making?

Exhibit A: Wayne Milera.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
How about we look at it from another angle...the fact he’s actually played 9 games with us this year says a lot of what the club thinks of him. In a second AFL season, 9 games is a pretty fair effort.

Also, who here actually thinks he can’t improve further with his decision making?

To be fair there were injuries that contributed to that total

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows

Yeah must have been all that pressure for spots from others killing it in the SANFL, those that still had sound bodies anyhow.

conVINCEd

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
We will need to replace Gibbs in a couple of years, possibly Sloaney and Brouch.

I can understand concern over Brad Crouch’s fitness but Gibbs still has three years on his deal and Sloane just signed a five year contract - I hope Rory is still going strong in a ‘couple of years’!

He is contracted until the end of 2020. Another 2 pre seasons will help him a lot body wise. I wouldn't write him off just yet. He and the Gooch were drafted in the same year.

You do realise he's 186 cm / 86 kg right? Two more preseasons aren't going to help him a lot body wise at all as he's already around an ideal weight.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Some decent AFL players taken around the mark Poholke was. Some spuds too. Players drafted around that mark are going to be incomplete.

2 38 Sean Darcy Fremantle Geelong Falcons TAC Cup Traded from Gold Coast, received from Western Bulldogs; received from Fremantle; received from Greater Western Sydney; received from Adelaide

2 39 Josh Battle St Kilda Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup Traded from Hawthorn

2 40 Tom Stewart Geelong Geelong VFL

2 41 Brennan Cox Fremantle Woodville-West Torrens SANFL Traded from Western Bulldogs

3 42 Kobe Mutch Essendon Bendigo Pioneers TAC Cup Academy eligible, but Greater Western Sydney did not match the bid

3 43 Esava Ratugolea Geelong Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup Traded from Brisbane Lions

3 44 Myles Poholke Adelaide Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup Traded from Gold Coast; received from Western Bulldogs; received from Fremantle

3 45 Jack Maibaum Sydney Eastern Ranges TAC Cup Traded from Richmond

3 46 Mitch Hannan Melbourne Footscray VFL Traded from Collingwood

3 47 Harrison Macreadie Carlton Henty HFL Academy eligible, but Greater Western Sydney did not match the bid; traded from Hawthorn; received from Melbourne

3 48 Darcy Cameron Sydney Claremont WAFL Traded from Port Adelaide

3 49 Lewis Young Western Bulldogs Sturt SANFL Traded from St Kilda

3 50 Kayle Kirby Collingwood Bendigo Pioneers TAC Cup Traded from Melbourne; received from Greater Western Sydney; received from Brisbane Lions; received from North Melbourne

3 51 Elliott Himmelberg Adelaide Redland NEAFL

3 52 Willie Rioli West Coast Glenelg SANFL Traded from Hawthorn

3 53 Jack Graham Richmond North Adelaide SANFL Traded from Geelong

4 54 Lachlan Tiziani Greater Western Sydney Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup Academy player, traded from Melbourne; received from Essendon

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
To be fair there were injuries that contributed to that total
Yes, but he was chosen ahead of a bunch of other kids yet to play this year. This tells us the club can see growth in him more than others outside the club walls.

Also, I would like to point out due to a lack of on-field healthy players or leadership this year, a player playing their 1st AFL season would likely be affected due to lack of team stability.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
You do realise he's 186 cm / 86 kg right? Two more preseasons aren't going to help him a lot body wise at all as he's already around an ideal weight.

I agree this is part of it, he seemingly came more AFL ready than most, yet hasn’t managed to put any dominant SANFL performances in.

As with others, don’t want to right him off and he seemed like a good pick up at draft time, but I’m just not seeing a genuine AFL quality midfielder. Sure, he might become an okay role player with some more development, but nothing more.

I simply don’t see the where the development is coming from in his game and I think he may have been a touch lucky to get the contract he did.

The addition of Jones, McHenry, McAdam, Stengle and Hamill doesn’t help either. Young midfielders generally need to start with significant flank/wing time and we’ve just brought in a bunch of highly talented players to compete for what few spots we have in these roles.

Good luck to the lad, I hope he can prove me wrong. Needs to start by racking up 25+, ideally 30+ touches a game in the SANFL. Needs to accumulate because his skills aren’t there such that he can rely on lower possession games.

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Some decent AFL players taken around the mark Poholke was. Some spuds too. Players drafted around that mark are going to be incomplete.

2 38 Sean Darcy Fremantle Geelong Falcons TAC Cup Traded from Gold Coast, received from Western Bulldogs; received from Fremantle; received from Greater Western Sydney; received from Adelaide

2 39 Josh Battle St Kilda Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup Traded from Hawthorn

2 40 Tom Stewart Geelong Geelong VFL

2 41 Brennan Cox Fremantle Woodville-West Torrens SANFL Traded from Western Bulldogs

3 42 Kobe Mutch Essendon Bendigo Pioneers TAC Cup Academy eligible, but Greater Western Sydney did not match the bid

3 43 Esava Ratugolea Geelong Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup Traded from Brisbane Lions

3 44 Myles Poholke Adelaide Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup Traded from Gold Coast; received from Western Bulldogs; received from Fremantle

3 45 Jack Maibaum Sydney Eastern Ranges TAC Cup Traded from Richmond

3 46 Mitch Hannan Melbourne Footscray VFL Traded from Collingwood

3 47 Harrison Macreadie Carlton Henty HFL Academy eligible, but Greater Western Sydney did not match the bid; traded from Hawthorn; received from Melbourne

3 48 Darcy Cameron Sydney Claremont WAFL Traded from Port Adelaide

3 49 Lewis Young Western Bulldogs Sturt SANFL Traded from St Kilda

3 50 Kayle Kirby Collingwood Bendigo Pioneers TAC Cup Traded from Melbourne; received from Greater Western Sydney; received from Brisbane Lions; received from North Melbourne

3 51 Elliott Himmelberg Adelaide Redland NEAFL

3 52 Willie Rioli West Coast Glenelg SANFL Traded from Hawthorn

3 53 Jack Graham Richmond North Adelaide SANFL Traded from Geelong

4 54 Lachlan Tiziani Greater Western Sydney Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup Academy player, traded from Melbourne; received from Essendon
We should have taken that Himmelburg guy instead

Oct 17, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins

I realise that, I was referring to his developement of his game. He has things to work on for sure but so do all young players. He is the right size to be that bigger bodied midfielder teams need.
In the games I've watched he is coming along nicely IMO. I expect him to get a few games this year again when the injuries happen.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
but he's on a 1 year contract for a reason so he'd better improve them soon
With all due respect, your statement is either a little misleading or pure bullshit. He is not on a one year contract, in 2019 he is in the third year of a three or four year contract

In his first season at the Crows (2017) he was offered a two year extension despite failing to debut. It wasn’t clear whether the press release meant an extra two years (i.e. until the end of 2020) or extended from two to three years until the end of 2019.

This clearly means either
1) The club believed he was going nowhere and wanted to cheer him up
or
2) Poholke is viewed as a long term prospect who is expected to take time to develop.

Strangely, Himmelberg was drafted in the same year as Dylan and has played one match/dead rubber. Despite the extra 8 games played by Poholke, the Breg is viewed as a rising star and Poholke has his head on the chopping block.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back