Review Miles Poholke Is 2019 Make Or Break For Him?

Remove this Banner Ad

With all due respect, your statement is either a little misleading or pure bullshit. He is not on a one year contract, in 2019 he is in the third year of a three or four year contract

In his first season at the Crows (2017) he was offered a two year extension despite failing to debut. It wasn’t clear whether the press release meant an extra two years (i.e. until the end of 2020) or extended from two to three years until the end of 2019.

This clearly means either
1) The club believed he was going nowhere and wanted to cheer him up
or
2) Poholke is viewed as a long term prospect who is expected to take time to develop.

Strangely, Himmelberg was drafted in the same year as Dylan and has played one match/dead rubber. Despite the extra 8 games played by Poholke, the Breg is viewed as a rising star and Poholke has his head on the chopping block.
Exposed form can be a double edged sword

Yup it's make or break time for Dylan. 3rd season now, and not really a project player which means he either needs to be in the best 22 or really bashing the door down.

Hopefully the fitness has massively improved as that is the first step here.

If he spends most of his time goofing off he isn’t going to be bashing the door down, concerning l have been told by a reliable source he is exactly how he portrays on social media ‘party boy’

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

With all due respect, your statement is either a little misleading or pure bullshit. He is not on a one year contract, in 2019 he is in the third year of a three or four year contract

In his first season at the Crows (2017) he was offered a two year extension despite failing to debut. It wasn’t clear whether the press release meant an extra two years (i.e. until the end of 2020) or extended from two to three years until the end of 2019.

or
2) Poholke is viewed as a long term prospect who is expected to take time to develop.

Strangely, Himmelberg was drafted in the same year as Dylan and has played one match/dead rubber. Despite the extra 8 games played by Poholke, the Breg is viewed as a rising star and Poholke has his head on the chopping block.
My bad, I was quoting someone else who got it wrong as well. He still has time then but he'd want to get a wriggle on as there's plenty of talent poised to overtake him if he doesn't.
Which of 1. or 2. applied to MacKay before his 4 year contract?

or

More to development/being rated then just getting games. If it was just a matter of that, Mackay would be considered a star.

Himmelberg has a few big advantage here - he's a KPF/Ruck prospect, he's still got 5-7 kgs to gain before he's properly filled out, and is pretty much ahead of schedule at the current time.

Poholke has a bit of underwhelming exposed form, doesn't look like he has the tools to develop into an AFL player (as 186cm isn't big enough to rely on alone), has no real room to develop his body (seeing unless he has poor skinfolds, he's pretty much at ideal situation) and also looks to be in a poor list situation on top of that. Right now his chances of making it is quite low, but if he can figure out how to accumulate big numbers, he stands a chance of having a career. Equally, I completely and utterly disagree that Poholke can be viewed as a long term prospect as really, how could you unless he has no endurance whatsoever? I don't mind giving him 4 years to figure it out like most prospects, but really it's make or break now.

Right now, Himmelberg has a much greater % of making it to Poholke.

If he spends most of his time goofing off he isn’t going to be bashing the door down, concerning l have been told by a reliable source he is exactly how he portrays on social media ‘party boy’

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If he's doing the work, I don't care in the slightest if he's a 'party boy'. Out of 40 young males on a list, I expect there to be a few at every club, and a few of them to have long careers. There is no guarantee Myles has a long career if he does the work as it'll come down to taking an opportunity when it comes and fighting out of what is a poor list situation.

If he's not doing the work, then he's not going to have a career. There is always a better prospect who would be willing.

If he's doing the work, I don't care in the slightest if he's a 'party boy'. Out of 40 young males on a list, I expect there to be a few at every club, and a few of them to have long careers. There is no guarantee Myles has a long career if he does the work as it'll come down to taking an opportunity when it comes and fighting out of what is a poor list situation.

If he's not doing the work, then he's not going to have a career. There is always a better prospect who would be willing.
Also people who have a following on social media often are party boys/girls or are wannabe party boys/girls. Stay at home people would attract zero following. In other words, can’t really judge how serious a footy player is by the amount of “goofiness” on their Twitter accounts.

Myles was my biggest disappointment (for a player) I honestly thought he was going to be something, but some his his minutes for the Crows were awful.

hopefully he just nervous and comes good.
I think he has the tools, his numbers in testing back this up. I think you hit the nail on the head with being nervous. I saw a bit of his social media and I am not sure he believes he should be here and definitely after being drafted was a bit shocked and over awed. I think if he can get enough game time in and get enough belief in himself he will be a good player for us. Tricky one but if the coaches are any good they should be able to get him over the line.

I think he has the tools, his numbers in testing back this up. I think you hit the nail on the head with being nervous. I saw a bit of his social media and I am not sure he believes he should be here and definitely after being drafted was a bit shocked and over awed. I think if he can get enough game time in and get enough belief in himself he will be a good player for us. Tricky one but if the coaches are any good they should be able to get him over the line.
I think this season will be a telling one for Polhoke. He seemed generally nervous when ball in hand, but has done some very nice things with marking and general field play. Hoping he can transition like Gooch from a doubtful starter to a comfortable player within the space of 12 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel the clock is ticking with injured players back and a couple of new first rounders to contend with. Hopefully we will have our highest draft pick likely midfielder and has to take all opportunities.

I think it was a commentary’s blunder originally and now a running joke, I think it was BT after the game segment.

That sounds like something BT would do. I mean, it's not like one of the key things about being a football commentator is to know the names of the players you are commentating on. This is the same guy that, in 2017, had to carry around with him a piece of paper of Brad and Matt Crouch, just so he wouldn't get them mixed up. You know, because they are practically identical twins and all.

Maybe if he spent less time trying to think up stupid nicknames for players and more time preparing for his job, he might actually be half decent at his job. The guy is an unprofessional dickhead.

That sounds like something BT would do. I mean, it's not like one of the key things about being a football commentator is to know the names of the players you are commentating on. This is the same guy that, in 2017, had to carry around with him a piece of paper of Brad and Matt Crouch, just so he wouldn't get them mixed up. You know, because they are practically identical twins and all.

Maybe if he spent less time trying to think up stupid nicknames for players and more time preparing for his job, he might actually be half decent at his job. The guy is an unprofessional dickhead.

I have him as a professional dickhead such is his abilities at it. Your probably right though he’s a complete dickhead on all levels.

I think this season will be a telling one for Polhoke. He seemed generally nervous when ball in hand, but has done some very nice things with marking and general field play. Hoping he can transition like Gooch from a doubtful starter to a comfortable player within the space of 12 months.

Pretty much, this year is really it for Poholke to make it. Unfortunately, I don't know if he has another option outside of midfielder which puts him in no mans land.

More to development/being rated then just getting games. If it was just a matter of that, Mackay would be considered a star.

Himmelberg has a few big advantage here - he's a KPF/Ruck prospect, he's still got 5-7 kgs to gain before he's properly filled out, and is pretty much ahead of schedule at the current time.

There's also a clear spot in the side for Himmelberg. They'd have him earmarked as the replacement for Jenkins role, ditto Fogarty for Tex. It's hard to see which current best-22 midfielder Poholke would be able to step in for without having at least 2 or 3 other young fringe mids in front of him for that spot.

There's also a clear spot in the side for Himmelberg. They'd have him earmarked as the replacement for Jenkins role, ditto Fogarty for Tex. It's hard to see which current best-22 midfielder Poholke would be able to step in for without having at least 2 or 3 other young fringe mids in front of him for that spot.

Clear spot in the future isn't a guarantee. You'd think both Himmelberg and Fogarty are going to have to force their way into the side prior. Especially Fogarty as Tex is only 29, though at least it wouldn't be difficult to force a spot for Fogarty. May have to be defence though as we stupidly resigned Lynch.

I do agree with Poholke. His position is pretty dire right now.

Poholke needs to dominate SANFL this year, his spot in the team is a couple of years off. But there will be places when Douglas, MacKay and Betts retire in the next two years. It looks like Jones, McHenry and one more (Carlton's first 2019) will be ahead of Young Miles though, he is depth.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clear spot in the future isn't a guarantee. You'd think both Himmelberg and Fogarty are going to have to force their way into the side prior. Especially Fogarty as Tex is only 29, though at least it wouldn't be difficult to force a spot for Fogarty. May have to be defence though as we stupidly resigned Lynch.

I do agree with Poholke. His position is pretty dire right now.

It's not a guarantee, and ideally ANY player will have to force his way into the team rather than just having a spot handed to him by a retirement. But you can at least see which spot in the team those players are likely to take. Jenkins is certainly a chance to get pushed out if Himmelberg overtakes him. Could be harder to force Tex out, especially if he's still captain, but the way his body is going I can't see him playing too far past 30 anyway. I've got no issue with retaining Lynch. He's been a great player for us, and he has the versatility and running capacity to play anywhere - he pushes so far up the ground he's practically a midfielder anyway, and with McGovern gone there's a spot for a 3rd-tall forward there for Fogarty to grab if form and fitness warrant it.

But looking at our current mids in that older age bracket, you'd say Douglas and Mackay are most vulnerable, but you'd think current fringe players like Knight, Gallucci, Seedsman etc are more likely to take those spots on a regular basis than Poholke. And that's before you get into untried players from this year's draft, McPherson if he ever gets fit, etc. And if Brad Crouch gets fit and reclaims a midfield spot, that makes it even harder.

Poholke just doesn't seem to have any particular weapon to make him stand out, be it pace, size, disposal, whatever. He doesn't really have a point of difference that I've seen to set him apart from any number of other players.

It's not a guarantee, and ideally ANY player will have to force his way into the team rather than just having a spot handed to him by a retirement. But you can at least see which spot in the team those players are likely to take. Jenkins is certainly a chance to get pushed out if Himmelberg overtakes him. Could be harder to force Tex out, especially if he's still captain, but the way his body is going I can't see him playing too far past 30 anyway. I've got no issue with retaining Lynch. He's been a great player for us, and he has the versatility and running capacity to play anywhere - he pushes so far up the ground he's practically a midfielder anyway, and with McGovern gone there's a spot for a 3rd-tall forward there for Fogarty to grab if form and fitness warrant it.

But looking at our current mids in that older age bracket, you'd say Douglas and Mackay are most vulnerable, but you'd think current fringe players like Knight, Gallucci, Seedsman etc are more likely to take those spots on a regular basis than Poholke. And that's before you get into untried players from this year's draft, McPherson if he ever gets fit, etc. And if Brad Crouch gets fit and reclaims a midfield spot, that makes it even harder.

Poholke just doesn't seem to have any particular weapon to make him stand out, be it pace, size, disposal, whatever. He doesn't really have a point of difference that I've seen to set him apart from any number of other players.

I agree, Jenkins is certainly a chance to be replaced, however he's off a career year right now. That said, you do have until the end of the 2021 season for Himmelberg to have replaced him before we've hit a point that we'll need to consider delisting Himmelberg (that one will be a very circumstantial decision, as there is no guarantee for Himmelberg that we don't draft a ruck/forward in that time). Fogarty I agree is a natural replacement, but again you're looking at quite likely 2022 before Tex is done; he'll be 32 for that one, which I think is a likely retirement point considering where our list will be by that point. Both of them are a long time to be waiting around for a role, and I don't believe you can develop key forwards in the SANFL for long, seeing the level is just too low compared to AFL for it to be effective development tool for long. So both are going to find a way into the side prior. I have my doubts either of them can find a spot in the forward line in the next two years either (I'll explain my reasoning a bit later in this because it ties into why I am against the Lynch resigning), which means it's likely to be defence. Now, honestly, there is certainly a spot there for Fogarty as could certainly do a loose defender for a year or two, then switch forward. He has the football brain required to do it successfully, and the skills/marking ability. The risk is of course, you begin to see too much value in someone like Fogarty in a more marginal position to make the switch to something more important for team success (which is really, in/out midfielder, or key forward). CHB would be Himmelberg, and honestly, considering how much we're lacking there, i'm very open to experimenting with Himmelberg.

The justification for Lynch being practically a midfielder is bullshit. Nothing more. He's a third tall who is operating deeper to accommodate a structure which has only worked in one iteration, and due to that is completely dependent on the team doing well for him to play well, as he doesn't have the tools to be damaging on his own (which to be fair, is a complaint you could brandish at 60-70% of the league with being completely dependent on the team doing well so he's not judged too harshly on that facet). Whilst he's been good for us, the two main issues is that for that structure to work it completely relied on McGovern being available, something which we can all guarantee won't be occurring in 2019 as it gave us a defensively good key forward who was capable of moving faster then an iceberg. It also relied on us having a A+ defensive forward roaming the forward line in Cameron, and whilst Knight, and McHenry are the two main options here, both should currently make you more nervous then comfortable due to one being perennially injured, and despite how advanced the other is, he is a first year draftee, especially factoring in how important Cameron was to this. Otherwise, you get stuck with that mess we saw in 2018 where our forward line utterly broke down. The problem piece here is Lynch, as he takes up a position which could be used for a smaller, faster and better defensively player and counteract that weakness. One which is fast becoming one of the most important aspects of football right now as it gives a fair bit of defensive control, and football is a game which is primarily dependent on control. Something we've been sacrificing for what is a potentially unnecessary offensive boost.

You simply cannot replace McGovern for Fogarty, keep Lynch as a roaming 4th tall and expect any success whatsoever in our current set up without us seriously lucking out (and if your plan relies on luck, your plan sucks). McGovern needs to be replaced with a small, and Lynch needs to move to a more traditional third tall. Here lies the 2nd point I'm critical of, which is if this happens (and it should), you've not only overspent on your forward line, but you've also blocked out your best prospect from getting games in said forward line, without harming your side by having a 600k+ wasting away in the SANFL (assuming we don't change Jenkins for Fogarty, which is a very safe assumption), or relying on injuries. Depth of this manner is not good at all. Even with us being forced to let go of McGovern, the best course of action was letting Lynch take FA assuming that Fogarty is Tex's heir apparent.

Now, there are two reasons I could make for Adelaide resigning Lynch: firstly, it's some sort of cultural signing as to say if your loyal to us, we'll be loyal to you. That may have some value, but I seriously doubt it, smacks of desperation really. Of course, the other reason resigning Lynch makes sense is we see Fogarty as a long term midfielder, however despite my serious interest in us exploring it as an option, it's something I'll really need to see to believe. If this is true my opinion on resigning Lynch improve dramatically, to the point I'd say it's a good move as it shows a good level of long term planning, which is the main thing I'm critical of with this resigning.

I wouldn't call Seedsman fringe, he walks into our top 10 currently after a career year. Even Gallucci is a pretty safe best 22 option, though where certainly has a question mark seeing my guess is he'll be midfield bound with some small stints forward. Knight is definitely not fringe seeing he's our main defensive small at this point. That said, midfield wise, I'd be eyeing off Gallucci, and Milera making the switch there for Mackay and Douglas. Both have weapons that'd be very damaging as an in/out midfielder in a similar mold to lets say, a Gibbs. This also has the double whammy of strengthening our outside game, without really weakening our inside component as it allows us to carry an outside platoon of Smith, Seedsman, Laird, Atkins without going too heavy on outside power should Milera take to a more inside role, and it's hard to see him not if 2018 isn't a fluke.

The point of difference with Poholke is his hands, and mark. Is that an effective point of difference for someone who is a very limited player and goes against Pykes philosophy of leg speed being very important is certainly a big question mark. If I was Myles, and if I wasn't in the best 22 at the end of this year, I'd be seeking a trade. Come 2019, he'll have no chance of getting a spot in our side if Jones develops as expected (and he's another candidate of getting a good swathe of games this year).

I have him as a professional dickhead such is his abilities at it. Your probably right though he’s a complete dickhead on all levels.

It actually makes me angry that a guy can be an absolute knob end and completely unprofessional like BT is, yet still be considered by Channel 7 to be one of the top half-dozen commentators in the country.

The only commentators currently going around that are worse than BT are Hame AKA nepotism is alive and well, Basil AKA WA has to have a representative and Derwayne AKA I relate everything back to the Paer or just throw out cliches.

We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for commentators at the moment, so much so that Channel 7 actually used some current players as commentators last season, presumably to try and get them up to speed and slot them into their commentary team ASAP.

It actually makes me angry that a guy can be an absolute knob end and completely unprofessional like BT is, yet still be considered by Channel 7 to be one of the top half-dozen commentators in the country.

The only commentators currently going around that are worse than BT are Hame AKA nepotism is alive and well, Basil AKA WA has to have a representative and Derwayne AKA I relate everything back to the Paer or just throw out cliches.

We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for commentators at the moment, so much so that Channel 7 actually used some current players as commentators last season, presumably to try and get them up to speed and slot them into their commentary team ASAP.
Bring back Dermie!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back