Review Miles Poholke Is 2019 Make Or Break For Him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Poholke if he makes it will be an inside midfielder.

He will either become good enough to win contests against most AFL players and be important; or he won’t, and he will be useless.

He isn’t treacle like CEY. His skills are good although decisions aren’t always quick enough.

Maybe this year he isn’t yet strong and skilled enough to win contests against AFL midfielders and isn’t yet confident enough with the game plan. But next year he might be.

I think he does need to dominate SANFL games this year. He needs to be going for 30 possessions and a goal each week. That’s the minimum grade for me.

He will either become good enough to win contests against most AFL players and be important; or he won’t, and he will be useless.

He isn’t treacle like CEY. His skills are good although decisions aren’t always quick enough.

Maybe this year he isn’t yet strong and skilled enough to win contests against AFL midfielders and isn’t yet confident enough with the game plan. But next year he might be.

I think he does need to dominate SANFL games this year. He needs to be going for 30 possessions and a goal each week. That’s the minimum grade for me.

Jesus. That's ridiculous as a minimum grade.

Jesus. That's ridiculous as a minimum grade.
It’s year three

Whether it’s those stats precisely, I would think if he is going to be good at AFL level in year four, then he needs to be very good at SANFL level in year three

A year of middling 15-20 possession games not good enough

It’s year three

Whether it’s those stats precisely, I would think if he is going to be good at AFL level in year four, then he needs to be very good at SANFL level in year three

Yeah it's year 3 But 30 touches and a goal is Andrew Gaff type stuff. Sloane isn't even getting those numbers.

Yeah it's year 3 But 30 touches and a goal is Andrew Gaff type stuff. Sloane isn't even getting those numbers.
Would disagree with my post if instead of giving those numbers, I had said that Poholke needs to be consistently dominant at SANFL level?

My point is that we shouldn’t judge him by count of AFL games. That will depend on injuries more than anything else. We should judge him on SANFL performances and in year three he needs to be consistently dominant.

Would disagree with my post if instead of giving those numbers, I had said that Poholke needs to be consistently dominant at SANFL level?

My point is that we shouldn’t judge him by count of AFL games. That will depend on injuries more than anything else. We should judge him on SANFL performances and in year three he needs to be consistently dominant.
I'm with you on Hokey Pokey - 2019 must be the year he extracts the digit and not only looks like an AFL footballer but also plays like one. Initially I had high hopes for him with his blend of size, good speed and agility along with very good overhead marking ability but he needs to very quickly improve his composure and footy I.Q. because he simply doesn't find enough pill and to put it bluntly his decision making under pressure up to this point has left a lot to be desired. 2019 is a big year for "Dylan".

Last edited:
It’s year three

I agree it's year three, he should be better, but I took exception to that being the mimimum. Especially the goal a game part seeing how little of a goal threat pure insides are at the best of time.

If you went for something like, 27.5 disp, 6.5 cl, 40% contested ratio, 5 tackles as the minimum, I'm with you, as that is the rough line for an elite inside at an AFL level.

I agree it's year three, he should be better, but I took exception to that being the mimimum. Especially the goal a game part seeing how little of a goal threat pure insides are at the best of time.

If you went for something like, 27.5 disp, 6.5 cl, 40% contested ratio, 5 tackles as the minimum, I'm with you, as that is the rough line for an elite inside at an AFL level.
Fair enough :thumbsu:

Yeah it's year 3 But 30 touches and a goal is
Thanks Andrew Gaff type stuff. Sloane isn't even getting those numbers.
If you’re going to have a long career as an AFL midfielder, you need to be dominating at SANFL by Poholkes stage. regularly hitting 30 touches and regularly hitting the scoreboard at that level would be the bare minimum for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many years does he have left? I thought we gave him a 3 year extension?

Yup, he's here until the end of 2020. You'd suspect however, if he doesn't make it this year his chances for an AFL career would be all but shot. I don't envision his list situation getting better after all.

Yup, he's here until the end of 2020. You'd suspect however, if he doesn't make it this year his chances for an AFL career would be all but shot. I don't envision his list situation getting better after all.
That was an interesting call to give him 3 years, thought 2 would have been more sensible given what we had seen.

That was an interesting call to give him 3 years, thought 2 would have been more sensible given what we had seen.

1st year contract extension so we must have been quite happy with his progression at that time.

Seeing Poholke would be at the end of his 4th season when he goes out of contract, I'm rather comfortable with that decision at the end of 2017. Would be much less if this was ending on his 6th-7th year.

If you’re going to have a long career as an AFL midfielder, you need to be dominating at SANFL by Poholkes stage. regularly hitting 30 touches and regularly hitting the scoreboard at that level would be the bare minimum for mine.
Especially this year with the way our pre-season is shaping under Saunders guidance and it being likely we'll be fielding a far more competitive unit so the chances of being able to 'shine' look far better this season.

That seems slightly harsh, but I’d say mid 20’s on average would be the minimum, so long he shows a few more AFL standard attributes.

I can’t remember how Grigg and Lyons were when they started dominating sanfl but they weren’t that much older, Myles advantage is has stronger athletic traits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back