FTA-TV Mindhunter

Remove this Banner Ad

Great show but are they taking the piss with the name 'Holden Ford'?

Kinda.

It turns out the creator of the show spent a lot of his childhood in Adelaide. When naming the character, he started out thinking about Holden Caulfield from Catcher in the Rye (partly because he was driving a Holden rental car at the time), and because of his upbringing his mind logically went to Ford.

http://www.news.com.au/national/sou...y/news-story/7d0987e4ee1ae0e53eee2c06d8380fa5

Watched this series with my wife after a recommendation from two colleagues and we both loved it. She loves her crime docos so this was right up her alley. I've bought her the Mindhunter book for xmas so will give that a read as well once she's done with it.

With regards to the Principal, I agree that technically he should not be getting involved as it is not the FBI's domain however the Principal had no right to continue with that behaviour after being asked by the parents to stop. It felt as though part of the reason he refused to stop was because in a way it would be an acknowledgment that the behaviour was wrong. I didn't have sympathy for him or his wife though, it was weird and I can easily see how that behaviour could escalate. It was interesting that the Principal made a comment that "that is your world" and Holden projects the abhorrent behaviour he studies onto others who may have innocent intentions. A very interesting case study.

The other issue I had was with the two main female characters (Holden's girlfriend and the academic). By the end of the series I hated both of them, the girlfriend for cheating and the academic (Anna?) for being too politically correct (chastising them for bringing up the cross dressing, using "obscene" language etc). I agreed with Holden's methods, to get anywhere you are going to have to develop a relationship which includes developing empathy and a rapport with the subjects. To do so you need to "speak their language" and know which triggers to press otherwise they'll take you for a ride (which some were anyway).

abhorrent behaviour

While much of the behaviour is abhorrent (disgusting), they are saying aberrant, as in "diverging from the standard"

And I don't think the Wendy (the academic, Anna Torv's character) holds those views regarding language/their behaviour towards their "subjects" because its being politically correct (I'm not even sure if that concept was around in the late 70s), but more that she wants everything to be very methodical and standardised so that it can be more easily studied, compared and replicated - basically its the academic in her coming to the fore.

I do agree with you about the GF

While much of the behaviour is abhorrent (disgusting), they are saying aberrant, as in "diverging from the standard"

And I don't think the Wendy (the academic, Anna Torv's character) holds those views regarding language/their behaviour towards their "subjects" because its being politically correct (I'm not even sure if that concept was around in the late 70s), but more that she wants everything to be very methodical and standardised so that it can be more easily studied, compared and replicated - basically its the academic in her coming to the fore.

I do agree with you about the GF
Yes its the ''scientific method'' . Replicate the questions and see if the answers diverge or stay the same.

I haven't read the whole thread yet as I only watched the first 3 episodes last night but I'm quite enjoying it so far. I have a couple of bugbears though.. it is really shitting me how all the cars are absolutely ******* spotless. It's like they have just been kept in a warehouse in mint condition (because they have been). The cop cars, the taxis, every other car parked or just driving by are all like they just drove off the assembly line. It just doesn't have the feel of the 70's like The Deuce does for example. There's no 'grittiness' factor and as soon as I noticed it it's seems impossible to stop noticing it.

Also the guy playing Kemper is brilliant.

Wasnt BTK caught based on the insights they gained from all these interviews? Or is that projecting too much?

I think that may be projecting too much. BTK was caught by a floppy disc that he sent to police still having old information on that he thought had been erased. He used to taunt the police by sending letters. My 2 kids lived in Wichita (1 still does) where many of the murders took place.

I haven't read the whole thread yet as I only watched the first 3 episodes last night but I'm quite enjoying it so far. I have a couple of bugbears though.. it is really shitting me how all the cars are absolutely ******* spotless. It's like they have just been kept in a warehouse in mint condition (because they have been). The cop cars, the taxis, every other car parked or just driving by are all like they just drove off the assembly line. It just doesn't have the feel of the 70's like The Deuce does for example. There's no 'grittiness' factor and as soon as I noticed it it's seems impossible to stop noticing it.

It's a tv show.

Obviously you’re entitled to your opinion but that’s the most bizarre complaint about a show I’ve ever seen. The cars are too clean for it to be real.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back