Mini-list cleanout needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we will still make the 8 but limp home again and play only one final, if we were to get serious and Simmo showed some balls like Lyon has its time to blood the entire youth list and see who isn't going to make it and start a rebuild...and its not mini either its a major rebuild.

Francis Watson - Having a few issues atm with keeping the family distractions from hurting his footy career, and has been punished accordingly by the club, but this kid is everything we have not had for many a year... X factor.

TF are you on about? Have I missed something?

Hope it's ok I post here...

Just wondered all your thoughts on Duggan?

Was a super talent and since being drafted haven't seen much of him at all. Is that through injury or form?

If he were up for trade come seasons end what do you think the asking price would be?

He won't be up for trade unless he requests it. Highly rated internally, so much so that there was talk of him being a future captain. Has had injuries every season he's been here, PCL in 2015, A few injuries last year and and injury this pre season (can't remember what they were) only 20 and has played 28 games. Was highly regarded for his kicking when he got here but since the leg injuries he has regressed, but I'd assume it's more of a confidence thing and adjusting to AFL tempo again. His goal kicking does need work and he does need to get stronger but he'll make it imo. Some on here are normally just too quick to write a kid off. They expect young lads to come in and just be killing the competition once they play more than 1 game.

I think we will still make the 8 but limp home again and play only one final, if we were to get serious and Simmo showed some balls like Lyon has its time to blood the entire youth list and see who isn't going to make it and start a rebuild...and its not mini either its a major rebuild.

You're kidding right?

Sure, the result was awful, but it's not that drastic.

It would have been nice if we'd have drafted as well as Fremantle had recently and had better kids to choose from.

I've tried to stay positive about this team since the 2015 Grand Final waste of my afternoon and memory.

But after watching Simpson trot out basically the same team ever since, expecting a different result at the MCG, I have reached the end of my tether with 2017, the coach and some of this squad.

Who do I love:
Jackson Nelson - This kid plays with his heart on his sleeve and gets better each week with the more opportunity he receives. Anybody still hating on this kid, has no idea about football and should resume their career in cleaning windows with their tongue.

Francis Watson - Having a few issues atm with keeping the family distractions from hurting his footy career, and has been punished accordingly by the club, but this kid is everything we have not had for many a year... x factor.

and others... but i'm getting bored myself typing this.

Who's gotta go:
MASTEN - FFS this guy is a forward running useless crab, and has never been anything but.
Darling - Trade - Could of been anything, and loved him for it, but we ain't doing enough for him and vice versa.
Priddis - Time to retire. Struggles to have any real influence anymore. Holding others back. Dynamic is not a defining word to describe our team with Priddis in it.
Masten - Did I mention him already?
McKenzie - Gooone
Wellingham - Isn't mentally strong enough
Hill and/or LeCras - Both have moments where all is forgiven, but ultimately don't have it upstairs in the big games.

Who do I want to see:
Duggan: Getting better each game he plays. Keep playing him
Watson: Show this kid what he risks losing, and he has talent to burrrrrn.
Lamb: Sink or swim, maybe he will rise with better players around him. If not... Go away.
Venables: Need to see why we passed over SPP, who was exactly who we needed and was a mad WCE supporter.
Karnapy: Been on the list too long, for what purpose. play him or cut him.
Rothom: Not in any rush, but looks the goods.

The Coach...
Adam Simpson: Starting to really feel that Don Pyke was our guy, not Simmo... How he has kept the blind faith in this core squad is staggering. Almost like he's playing for the Stephen Bradbury of premierships.

Game Plan:
Shite... Our players will make great scarecrows in their post careers.
It concerns me how we can't take our defensive pressure to the next level or absorb it when the game is on the line. Can't lay effective tackles, and wouldn't know how... big concern.
First one to mention Wellingham. .. he would be the first I get rid of. Rest of post spot on too.

Main List:

Sam Butler (Retire)
Mark LeCras (Retire)
Sam Mitchell (Retire)
Matthew Priddis (Retire)
Tom Lamb (Delist)
Malcolm Karpany (Delist)
Jack Redden (Delist)
Lewis Jetta (Delist)
Eric Mackenzie (FA?)

Rookies:

Drew Petrie (Retire)
Fraser McInnes (Delist)
Simon Tunbridge (Delist)
Paddy Brophy (Delist)

We need to cut deep this season and move on players we know aren't going to improve us in the future. There is no merit to being a seasoned, mediocre team that finishes mid-table. In many ways we sit similarly to where North were last season - carrying an ageing list with no potential for a premiership.

Tough calls need to be made but at the end of the day the way out of this rut is to improve our strike rate on draft day, and additionally get better at developing the guys we do have. I actually expect Priddis to push on for another year and I doubt the club will make the bold call on Redden but it's what my recommended changes would be. We need to retain our picks, and potentially improve our draft position unless an Acres or McGovern suddenly become available.

Main List:

Sam Butler (Retire)
Mark LeCras (Retire)
Sam Mitchell (Retire)
Matthew Priddis (Retire)
Tom Lamb (Delist)
Malcolm Karpany (Delist)
Jack Redden (Delist)
Lewis Jetta (Delist)
Eric Mackenzie (FA?)

Rookies:

Drew Petrie (Retire)
Fraser McInnes (Delist)
Simon Tunbridge (Delist)
Paddy Brophy (Delist)

We need to cut deep this season and move on players we know aren't going to improve us in the future. There is no merit to being a seasoned, mediocre team that finishes mid-table. In many ways we sit similarly to where North were last season - carrying an ageing list with no potential for a premiership.

Tough calls need to be made but at the end of the day the way out of this rut is to improve our strike rate on draft day, and additionally get better at developing the guys we do have. I actually expect Priddis to push on for another year and I doubt the club will make the bold call on Redden but it's what my recommended changes would be. We need to retain our picks, and potentially improve our draft position unless an Acres or McGovern suddenly become available.
Agree with all bar Mitchell. Think he still has a hell of a lot to offer especially with nic back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Main List:

Sam Butler (Retire)
Mark LeCras (Retire)
Sam Mitchell (Retire)
Matthew Priddis (Retire)
Tom Lamb (Delist)
Malcolm Karpany (Delist)
Jack Redden (Delist)
Lewis Jetta (Delist)
Eric Mackenzie (FA?)

Rookies:

Drew Petrie (Retire)
Fraser McInnes (Delist)
Simon Tunbridge (Delist)
Paddy Brophy (Delist)

Ultimately though, that's not really cutting deep.

The issue exists with the usual suspects who let us down when the heat is on.

The middle rung that eventually become our versions of Danyl Pearce and Nick Suban.

Wellingham, Yeo, Masten, Hutchings, Schofield, Hill - All marking time, are they good enough to still be good players in a decent side at 30-31?

I don't think so.

Yeo has had a hot start but ultimately lets us down. Hasn't improved in 2 years.

Darling for all his talent, is basically the same player he was when he debut. Patchy, poor decision maker, flopper. All still big issues.

Shannon Hurn never became the AA standard player he seemed destined to become. He's not bad, he's pretty good, but mostly he's just there and there are always 5-10 guys in the league better at the same role. Same goes for Brad Sheppard who is another 'just there' type.

Kennedy is nearing 30 and Nic may never be the same player.

Interesting times.

The thing about darling is: if we had demanded that judd play as a kpf theres a good chance that he may not be remembered as the star he was.

Chances are if we got nn to play as a small forward he prob wouldnt have won aa.

Yet we get a forward flanker in darling and constantly demand that he play chf and wonder why he sucks.

We really are pants on head stupid arent we.

Last edited:
Ultimately though, that's not really cutting deep.

The issue exists with the usual suspects who let us down when the heat is on.

The middle rung that eventually become our versions of Danyl Pearce and Nick Suban.

Wellingham, Yeo, Masten, Hutchings, Schofield, Hill - All marking time, are they good enough to still be good players in a decent side at 30-31?

I don't think so.

Yeo has had a hot start but ultimately lets us down. Hasn't improved in 2 years.

Darling for all his talent, is basically the same player he was when he debut. Patchy, poor decision maker, flopper. All still big issues.

Shannon Hurn never became the AA standard player he seemed destined to become. He's not bad, he's pretty good, but mostly he's just there and there are always 5-10 guys in the league better at the same role. Same goes for Brad Sheppard who is another 'just there' type.

Kennedy is nearing 30 and Nic may never be the same player.

Interesting times.

9 changes is 25% of the whole list so yes it is cutting deep.
  • Yeo would currently be top two in our best and fairest.
  • Wellingham competes hard and while he is up and down he is not in line for a delisting.
  • Masten we can ship off to anyone, I don't really care although his continual selection reflects our lack of outside mid options. He is in the side for team balance really. I'm fine with him going but still think Redden is worse.
  • Schofield is adequate KPD depth who can come in and play a role when required. I wouldn't have picked him today, but he is of value to the list.
  • Hutchings is a plodder but can come in and perform moderately okay as depth. I wouldn't be giving him too many games if I could avoid it but like Wellingham is not a candidate for delisting.
  • Hill does enough to survive - he is a placeholder until we find a better option. With LeCras going, there is one less medium forward who doesn't chase in the side so his spot on the list is safe.
  • Darling is mediocre but our lack of quality talls forward of centre means he has value to the list. Unless we are offered a good trade deal he is safe.

Main List:

Sam Butler (Retire)
Mark LeCras (Retire)
Sam Mitchell (Retire)
Matthew Priddis (Retire)
Tom Lamb (Delist)
Malcolm Karpany (Delist)
Jack Redden (Delist)
Lewis Jetta (Delist)
Eric Mackenzie (FA?)

Rookies:

Drew Petrie (Retire)
Fraser McInnes (Delist)
Simon Tunbridge (Delist)
Paddy Brophy (Delist)

Agree keep Mitchell thou.

Can we get Fyfe and Martin with those outs?

9 changes is 25% of the whole list so yes it is cutting deep.
  • Yeo would currently be top two in our best and fairest.
  • Wellingham competes hard and while he is up and down he is not in line for a delisting.
  • Masten we can ship off to anyone, I don't really care although his continual selection reflects our lack of outside mid options. He is in the side for team balance really. I'm fine with him going but still think Redden is worse.
  • Schofield is adequate KPD depth who can come in and play a role when required. I wouldn't have picked him today, but he is of value to the list.
  • Hutchings is a plodder but can come in and perform moderately okay as depth. I wouldn't be giving him too many games if I could avoid it but like Wellingham is not a candidate for delisting.
  • Hill does enough to survive - he is a placeholder until we find a better option. With LeCras going, there is one less medium forward who doesn't chase in the side so his spot on the list is safe.
  • Darling is mediocre but our lack of quality talls forward of centre means he has value to the list. Unless we are offered a good trade deal he is safe.

Lots of 'adequate', 'just there' players really then?

Look it won't happen over night and yep that's a chunk of the list you have there but ultimately we need to identify who is really going to take us forward.

Guys like Wellingham are exactly the problem and the first to let us down.

Let's see how Yeo sits mid season in the B&F count. If he breaks top 5 this season I'll buy you a coke.

Between us I think we have listed 2017/2018 clear out...minus a handful of non-starter draftees that were never going to make it anyway.

******* hell. This is as bad as my melt where i wanted to jump off a cliff.

Lots of 'adequate', 'just there' players really then?

Look it won't happen over night and yep that's a chunk of the list you have there but ultimately we need to identify who is really going to take us forward.

Guys like Wellingham are exactly the problem and the first to let us down.

Let's see how Yeo sits mid season in the B&F count. If he breaks top 5 this season I'll buy you a coke.

Between us I think we have listed 2017/2018 clear out...minus a handful of non-starter draftees that were never going to make it anyway.

Yeah, clubs rarely if ever delist 10 or more players in one go so there will be average players that will live to fight another day. You never know, someone like Wellingham could pull an Embley and have a second wind at around 30. I actually don't think his intent has been off at all this season although his ball use at times has been quite poor. At the end of the day, the lower we finish in 2017-18 the more likely guys like he and Hill will retire a little early, similar to how Stenglein, Fletch and Wirra pulled the pin a little early in 2009.

I think Yeo's here to stay. He is in career best form and will finish top five, I'm callin' it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back