Mini Rebuild or Reload?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Can we bring in 2-3 players and push for a flag in the next 2 years?

Or should we try to trade out 2-3 player fringe players and players older than 27 and get games into our next group of players.

Our midfield group is brilliant with the majority under 27, but with Johnson, McPharlin, Pavlich, Mundy all probably having diminishing output from this year on wards and we really push for a flag next year?

Suban, Mzungu, de Boer and C Pearce have been thrown up time and time again.

My opinion is unless Pav stays for 1 year, and we can get a B+ KPP and Bennell or McCarthy and a B+ player to improve depth we might as well rebuild.

That would mean consider shopping around the following players should a suitable deal be available, and they are happy to go.
  • Suban
  • Mzungu
  • de Boer
  • C Pearce
  • D Pearce
  • Barlow
  • Clarke
  • Hannath
  • Griffin
  • Silvagni
  • Ibbotson

If we reach the end of the draft period with out having gone hard at a premiership or a rebuild then Chris Bond should be sacked. (I have been a long time supporter of Bond and Lloyd. )

Mini rebuild for me, we have several players retiring already, and its been mentioned that three players want out. We have enough talent
remaining to be in the hunt for top four.
Must improve key position depth, forward line, and midfield skill, spread and carry. Not impossible, and we have midfield upgrades available
IF the coach has the balls to play them.

aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

Look past the obvious targets, search for some players in the mid 20's..

Sounds like it is going be a 'significant refurbishment.' When you talk about trading guys like Barlow then you know significant change is afoot.

Or should we try to trade out 2-3 player fringe players and players older than 27 and get games into our next group of players.

Our midfield group is brilliant with the majority under 27, but with Johnson, McPharlin, Pavlich, Mundy all probably having diminishing output from this year on wards and we really push for a flag next year?

Suban, Mzungu, de Boer and C Pearce have been thrown up time and time again.

My opinion is unless Pav stays for 1 year, and we can get a B+ KPP and Bennell or McCarthy and a B+ player to improve depth we might as well rebuild.

That would mean consider shopping around the following players should a suitable deal be available, and they are happy to go.
  • Suban
  • Mzungu
  • de Boer
  • C Pearce
  • D Pearce
  • Barlow
  • Clarke
  • Hannath
  • Griffin
  • Silvagni
  • Ibbotson

If we reach the end of the draft period with out having gone hard at a premiership or a rebuild then Chris Bond should be sacked. (I have been a long time supporter of Bond and Lloyd. )

Yep, getting McCarthy and Bennell will determine if we do a mini rebuild or not. This is the best chance we've had at signing some real talent in a while, lets not blow it.

I posted most of this on another thread and I am sticking with it.

I am thinking of it as 'a year of reset'.

We need to implement a new game plan that utilises our strengths, but also allows us to score more. Our ball movement is constipated.

We need to reconsider how we use some of our players - Barlow, Mundy, Fyfe and Mayne (if he is even best 22) spring to mind.

We need to move on from Pav and Luke, and to a large extent our other aging talls. We had only 1 fit KPD (Dawson) in the semifinal against Port last year and had 1 fit KPD who was short on match play (Dawson) and 1 unfit KPD (Johnson) in the prelim last weekend. We could have used Silvagni who has been injured or suspended all year and was incredibly short of match play. There is a message in this.

I don't think we should push Pav out. If he wants to stay then Tabs, Apeness and Sunshine (hopefully) could benefit from being on the park with him. If he does not want to stay as we are prioritising a reset, then I will cry when he calls it a day. I hope that Johnno still has more to give, the club and Johnno need to work that out.

We have 3 talls between the ages of 23 and 27 - Zac Clarke, Jack Hannath and Sean Hurly. It is a question mark whether any of them are AFL standard. I would like to see us fill in this part of the list with a couple of mature agers, so we can try to have some options.

We need to get some of the younger guys on the park to assist in knowing where they stand. Although the coaches made a lot of good calls that we as fans did not understand (for instance that Tendai's form had dropped right away), they also (I think) significantly underestimated the readiness of Alex Pearce. So some of these guys need to play some of the time. This includes Tanner, as our KPPs are so poor.

We need to trade aggressively. Even if we do trade successfully, there are other things we need to change ( see above) so we should see it as a reset year not a reload year.

If we drop out of the eight, such is life. We will have given ourselves the opportunity to start 2017 in a really good place.

Mini rebuild for me.

That said 2 years is an eternity in the AFL sense.

If we can move a few players in the next 2 years and bring in some younger guys then we can build again for an assault from 2018 onwards.

I think we had a team that was cherry ripe from 2013-2015 and fell short and can't imagine 2016 being the year we win the Premiership.

Hawks got Burgoyne, Gibson, Hale, Gunston and Lake from trades. Frawley from free agency.

You can trade for players without destroying your future. Go hard for McCarthy, Bennell and another KPP. The future isn't that dull.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets just try to improve our list every year. We will still be in the hunt next year imo.

Gotta just keep a winning culture. Look at all those sides that think they just have to drop down and they will rebuilt. Sydney, hawks and cats just keep plugging away. The rebuilt is for lists that have gone to shite. Our list is unbalanced but is still decent.

If we get Bennell and McCarthy, we reload. Pav will probably go around again. If we don't, we rebuild.

Gotta get some talent around Fyfe who is a once in a generation player. Get Bennell and McCarthy and we are relevant again.

Yeah, I don't think this is correct. Sandilands was in career best form this year and did not miss a beat. Same with Mundy. Johnson was tremendous until his hamstring injury. No reason to believe these guys will not continue to be in Freos best 5-7 players next year.

Last edited:
  • Suban
  • Mzungu
  • de Boer
  • C Pearce
  • D Pearce
  • Barlow
  • Clarke
  • Hannath
  • Griffin
  • Silvagni
  • Ibbotson
The problem is that almost none of these guys have any trade value - they're either too old or fringe.
Ibbo has the most value, Barlow a bit, and maybe Clarke a bit. I just can't see what you would possibly get from the rest. Nor do we need to clear the list, as there will be plenty of room. (To me, it just brings home what a good job RTB has done with our list.)
Given that we desperately need KPPs, if you really want to get someone decent you'd need to be much bolder, and trade a young midfielder. Are you willing to give up a Lachie or Hill?

The problem is that almost none of these guys have any trade value - they're either too old or fringe.
Ibbo has the most value, Barlow a bit, and maybe Clarke a bit. I just can't see what you would possibly get from the rest. Nor do we need to clear the list, as there will be plenty of room. (To me, it just brings home what a good job RTB has done with our list.)
Given that we desperately need KPPs, if you really want to get someone decent you'd need to be much bolder, and trade a young midfielder. Are you willing to give up a Lachie or Hill?

McCarthy for 2 1st round picks + fringe player.
Offer up the players I mentioned and try to get some more picks.

If Bennell is keen on coming to us, get the 1st round pick by trading Weller if necessary, and hope to get a second round back.

Look at players like McBean, Shoenmaker, Mitch Brown etc and see how many you can get.

Look at players like Bootsma and other mature age recruits.

That is what I would do if we are going to a premiership, but there are a lot of If's and But's, it depends a lot on McCarthy and Bennell coming to us.

If Bennell is keen on coming to us, get the 1st round pick by trading Weller if necessary, and hope to get a second round back.

Look at players like McBean, Shoenmaker, Mitch Brown etc and see how many you can get.

That is what I would do if we are going to a premiership, but there are a lot of If's and But's, it depends a lot on McCarthy and Bennell coming to us.

McCarthy Is the tricky one. He is worth about what you say, but I don't think gws are kidding when they say picks are useless to them. They need some mature bodies. Give em Clarke, Suban and De Boer plus the picks for all I care, but it'll be a hard sell.

If Weller wants to go I would trade him, otherwise I would prefer to keep him over Bennell. And I am an aggressive trader. But if a player like Weller sees himself here long term then I would hold him, particularly in a trade for a guy with high risk factor written all over him.

I would consider Weller in a deal for McCarthy. Trading from an area of relative strength to strengthen a crucial area for us.

McCarthy Is the tricky one. He is worth about what you say, but I don't think gws are kidding when they say picks are useless to them. They need some mature bodies. Give em Clarke, Suban and De Boer plus the picks for all I care, but it'll be a hard sell.
Picks may be useless to them but list cloggers damage them. They may want Clarke.

Mini rebuild to me suggests you are writting off next year. We will be well and truly in it again next year. You don't rebuild with players like Fyfe Mundy Neale Hill Walters in your list. Our defensive make up will also be good still.

Mini rebuild to me suggests you are writting off next year. We will be well and truly in it again next year. You don't rebuild with players like Fyfe Mundy Neale Hill Walters in your list. Our defensive make up will also be good still.

If we can't get 2-3 good players in then I don't think we can win a premiership, so we might as well trade the players out while they still have a bit of value. If Pav retires, then we need 2 A or B grade KPF's to show any improvement on this year.

RTB will not change too much of his game plan and Bond will not trade our future . We have a very good back line and midfield so its going to be more about fixing the forward line and forward structures . Bennell has x factor in that he can play as a forward who can also go through the midfield he and McCarthy would be the icing on the cake .
The one thing that RTB and Bond won't do is rob the midfield by trading any A or B+ grade mids they are too hard to come by .
We need to look at the WAFL , SAFL and the VFL for hidden Mature Age Gems or at least players that have shone in the respective GF's.
Our coaching and medical panel needs work and we should be looking at coaches that are ahead of the pack .Sumich is an absolute fail as the forward coach so I see 2 vacancies after the appointment of Rock .
We should be looking seriously at the conditioning of our players . I have mentioned before that Hawthorn when in the USA last year not only did the high altitude training but also went to a Navy SEAL training camp and worked with their fitness instructors . Previous years they walked the Kokoda Track .
Our SAS is right here in WA and they are elite in their training and mental conditioning , our No1 ticket holder has great contacts there , we should be using him .
As an example
My nephews mate is an ex SAS trooper when they went for a swim a month ago he turned up with 2 , 20kg discs under his arms , jumped in the shallow end of the pool and proceeded to walk the length of the pool one end to the other going under water at the deep end without surfacing till his head broke through the water .
My nephew tried it and lasted about 40 metres totally exhausted and he exercises at the Gym 3 times a week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back