List Mgmt. Mini rebuild - what do we need

Remove this Banner Ad

Saint believer

Team Captain
Aug 28, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hi All,

As we start to prepare/review the Saints' year I remember hearing a story that after his first year at Windy Hill, Sheedy sat down with a trusted few and looked at the key elements that were needed to go to the top, so I thought we could have a go. Also thinking about new zones and other possible changes such as less rotations.

While my knowledge of modern football is almost non-existent I am interested to hear what my more learned fellow (BigFooty saints supporter sufferers) think. Note with new zones and less rotations, stay at home forwards could make a comeback!

Here are my thoughts:

Defence:
One gorilla stopping FB
One good intercept mark (tallish and fast) - takes third tall
One small fast small forward stopper
two fast tough back flankers with excellent kicking skills to start attack
One tall stopper/good mark for CHB

What do we have?
Brown (short term but ? future - maybe Goddard)
Roberton/Gilbert (injured but ? future - maybe Logan)
Geary/Rice (so so but future - maybe McKenzie but don't like his disposal)
White/Webster/Paton (this area not bad)
Carlisle (elite - future Clavarino?)

Attack:
Big marking forward to bust packs - possible resting ruck
Linking CHF
Third forward one-on-one target cover a lot of ground to find space
Three fast footman with precision kicking and finishing - rotating with the middle

What do we have?
Paddy/Marshall (not there yet but I am hopeful)
Bruce/Battle (if Bruce can hold marks - are they good enough to deliver the next pass? )
Membrey/Battle/Acres
Long/Billings/Gresh (huge talent/potential here)

In the middle:
Ruck who can tap to advantage and help around the ground (rest forward)
one quality onball stopper
one inside winner
one who is quick out of the middle
two fast wingers who spread and hit forward targets

What do we have?
.... Two half ruckmen don't make a whole
Steele
Armo/Dunstan/Ross (all a bit slow - Future Coffield/Hunter)
Steven/Freeman/Acres (Steven disposal can be a problem, Freeman unlikely to make it)
Sinclair/Phillips/Savage (Sinclair best reader of the play and kick, other two not great delivery)

Out:
Not a big fan of Newness, Weller, wright, Minch or Lonie being able to take us forward.

What we need:
While we have a lot go "good" players we need to gain elite through trade, draft or development.
A ruckman that can be good at the bounce and around the ground.
Better disposal across the board.

We need an Oliver and a Viney that’s what we need most. Even someone like Brayshaw would be extremely handy. (Damn you Melbourne)

After that a defender to play on the more athletic forwards.

Quicker defensive forwards to lock the ball in our half for a change.

Not fussed about a ruckmen.

We need mids in and out and small forwards so we can play where the game has headed. Just look at the forward line of the best 3 sides over the last month or two. Gws tigers and pies unless a tall or marking player is a star you don’t need more than 2 as long as you have good players around them. A ruck would be handy but not essential if you great mids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A ruckman is a good start - Lycett. Two quick skilful wingmen/mids like Gaff and Isaac Smith. Tallish marking defenders that can repell attacks eg Grimes Stewart Scilily Howe McGovern type. Quick marking mid sized forward eg Stephenson Hoskin-Elliott Mitch McGovern Caddy type. We have far too many small flankers so one on one we don't mark the ball and don't halve the contest so opposition r able to whisk the ball away. Flexible players who can play multiple positions eg our mids r one dimensional

What we need?
Put Gresham, Carlise, Steven, Billings, Webster, Membrey, Marshall and Long aside, and replace everyone else. Must include two strong fast midfielders/ FF/ CHF/ FB and two strong half forward flankers who can take contested marks above their heads.
Remove AR and get anyone as coach, as they will do better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mids, ffs we need midfielders anything else is irrelevant.

we are paying for overachieving in 2016 missing out on finals by percentage when all teams around our mark were tanking in the later stages of that year

mids, ffs we need midfielders anything else is irrelevant.

we are paying for overachieving in 2016 missing out on finals by percentage when all teams around our mark were tanking in the later stages of that year

Really? We traded the pick anyway and no one around us that was picked up would have had any bearing on the side.

Hi All,

As we start to prepare/review the Saints' year I remember hearing a story that after his first year at Windy Hill, Sheedy sat down with a trusted few and looked at the key elements that were needed to go to the top, so I thought we could have a go. Also thinking about new zones and other possible changes such as less rotations.

While my knowledge of modern football is almost non-existent I am interested to hear what my more learned fellow (BigFooty saints supporter sufferers) think. Note with new zones and less rotations, stay at home forwards could make a comeback!

Here are my thoughts:

Defence:
One gorilla stopping FB
One good intercept mark (tallish and fast) - takes third tall
One small fast small forward stopper
two fast tough back flankers with excellent kicking skills to start attack
One tall stopper/good mark for CHB

What do we have?
Brown (short term but ? future - maybe Goddard)
Roberton/Gilbert (injured but ? future - maybe Logan)
Geary/Rice (so so but future - maybe McKenzie but don't like his disposal)
White/Webster/Paton (this area not bad)
Carlisle (elite - future Clavarino?)

Attack:
Big marking forward to bust packs - possible resting ruck
Linking CHF
Third forward one-on-one target cover a lot of ground to find space
Three fast footman with precision kicking and finishing - rotating with the middle

What do we have?
Paddy/Marshall (not there yet but I am hopeful)
Bruce/Battle (if Bruce can hold marks - are they good enough to deliver the next pass? )
Membrey/Battle/Acres
Long/Billings/Gresh (huge talent/potential here)

In the middle:
Ruck who can tap to advantage and help around the ground (rest forward)
one quality onball stopper
one inside winner
one who is quick out of the middle
two fast wingers who spread and hit forward targets

What do we have?
.... Two half ruckmen don't make a whole
Steele
Armo/Dunstan/Ross (all a bit slow - Future Coffield/Hunter)
Steven/Freeman/Acres (Steven disposal can be a problem, Freeman unlikely to make it)
Sinclair/Phillips/Savage (Sinclair best reader of the play and kick, other two not great delivery)

Out:
Not a big fan of Newness, Weller, wright, Minch or Lonie being able to take us forward.

What we need:
While we have a lot go "good" players we need to gain elite through trade, draft or development.
A ruckman that can be good at the bounce and around the ground.
Better disposal across the board.
Really good breakdown!

What we need?
Put Gresham, Carlise, Steven, Billings, Webster, Membrey, Marshall and Long aside, and replace everyone else. Must include two strong fast midfielders/ FF/ CHF/ FB and two strong half forward flankers who can take contested marks above their heads.
Remove AR and get anyone as coach, as they will do better.
Battle? Clark? Coff? Sincs?

I think if we fail to land a handy free agent then we need to trade ruthlessly.

Gaff would be great but not for more than $1m a year. Wallis would be a great pick up now that Stevens has retired and Armitage is past his prime.

Newnes needs to be traded. He has disappointed me so much this season. I expected him to step up with Joey retiring but he's only turned up in 1 out of 6 games (Like how Marcus North would play 5 bad tests then knock out a ton and take 5 for to hang on for another series).

I think Hickey has proven he's our best ruck so we should look to trade Longer to a club that needs a ruck (Think Carlton, Port, Geelong, Bulldogs, Brisbane (Oh the irony)). I'm confident that Marshall will develop into a very good fwd/ruck while Pierce could have another year to see how he goes and provide depth.

Love Ross but gee he makes some bad choices by foot. The number of times going into 50 he'll bomb the ball over a bloke leading just a 15m kick away this season. Been the story of our year really. Terrible entries into 50 where we expect Paddy and co to take mark of the year 10 times a game. Ross would have some real trade value (Essendon would love him) and we could get a very good kid in for him. I'd probably be happy if we did that.

Also really love Dunstan but if the right trade was offered I could let him go. Adelaide are desperate for local boys given they keep losing people. Would be interesting what the Saints would do if a low-teens offer was made. Acres, on the other hand, needs to remain on our list. And given a raise.

GWS had interest in Lonie not long ago and he doesn't seem to be getting much love at the Saints. I love his pressure and heart and would rather keep him. Could be traded for a 3rd rounder (which we don't have).

If the Weller to GC rumours are remotely true then we make it happen! Happy to delist him and if we can get a 3rd or 4th round pick for him then even better. Also, what value does Savage have? Wouldn't be gutted if he was traded.

Gilbert should retire. Goddard deserves another year or two. I'm absolutely baffled that with the injuries and suspensions to Brown, Carlisle and Austin this season that Goddard hasn't been given a go. Gilbert is a third tall at best down back and playing him as a Kef Def over Goddard is a joke. Brown maybe deserves another season as back up but not at the expense of our younger key backs. His injuries this year are concerning though.

Is Roberton likely to retire? I sincerely hope not...

In my ideal world this is how our list would change.

Retire
Gilbert, Stevens, Roberton (hopefully not though)

Trade
Newnes, Longer, Savage

Delist
Wright, Brown, Minchington, Connellan, Weller (or Trade)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back