Workshop Minimalist AFL logos

Remove this Banner Ad

Two colours only.

Where is the rule that states a minimalist logo only can have two colours?

You cannot do that with Rugby League (actually many sports) teams tend to have more than two colours and excluding one or more can cause issues.

For example:

Tigers - Excluding white would seriously p*** off half of the fan base (not going into the argument but white has to be included with the orange and black).
Roosters - Their alternate name is the Tri Colours, yet only two are used?

You cannot do that with Rugby League (actually many sports) teams tend to have more than two colours and excluding one or more can cause issues.

For example:

Tigers - Excluding white would seriously p*** off half of the fan base (not going into the argument but white has to be included with the orange and black).
Read this thread and find me a logo with three colours or more.

Read this thread and find me a logo with three colours or more.

Will these do?

My attempt
View attachment 13837
Had trouble minimizing the "Port fist"
Added the beak to distinguish the hawk
Couldn't do much with the tigers, blues and eagle

My crack at a-league minimalist logos
Only using parts from their official logos. Definitely can be better.
Thoughts? Changes?
View attachment 17477

Added Adelaide stars, tweaked a few others
View attachment 17602
With team strips
View attachment 17603
Furys current strip, andonis' idea
View attachment 17604

To me, the basic forms of each teams jumpers are a minamilistic as you can get. This means no logos or wordmarks, just the block colours. Hence; My attempt
View attachment 78364

Im a real novice, but this thread really triggered me to come up with some ideas I rushed a few to get a full set.

Adelaide.png
Brisbane.png
Carlton.png
Collingwoodcopy.png
Essendon.png
Freo.png
Geelong.png
GoldCoast.png
GWS.png
Hawthorn.png
Melbourne.png
Norf.png
Port.png
Richmond.png
StKilda.png
Sydney.png
WestCoastcopy.png
WesternBulldogs.png

Ive also split them out if people want to save them down seperately to use as avatars

EDIT: Just realised my north one is just a shitty version of the one done by Quadzilla - was trying to make them all at least a little different to what was in this thread already - and didnt notice that one (some ideas were hard to do differently because a previous idea posted was near perfection IMO). Also - I didnt stick to 2 tone as I think all club colours are relevant and help differentiate the teams.

Note your one with the Melbourne Storm having navy, purple and yellow.

For example:

Placing arbitrary rules on yourself (like Klim is doing here with the two colours max rule) while tyring to achieve a particular outcome (i.e. retaining the identity of the clubs) is part of the fun. It won't work out perfectly given the restrictions but you gotta lighten up.

Placing arbitrary rules on yourself (like Klim is doing here with the two colours max rule) while tyring to achieve a particular outcome (i.e. retaining the identity of the clubs) is part of the fun. It won't work out perfectly given the restrictions but you gotta lighten up.

I get that and I was never being negative or in need of "lightening up" as you put it, however I was giving constructive criticism to which I got a non explanatory response (so there was no talking about self imposed rules or reasons for just 2 colours), to which I then asked that question as having two colours for no specific reason for teams that are always represented by 3 or more made no sense.

It's better and definitely along the right lines. With Canberra, get rid of the Viling and just keep the helmet, that'd be enough. The Broncos and Sharks was alright the first time, Canterbury you could've just used the monogram on their logo. At George is still too complicated, as is Wests, and Roosters.

Minimalism isn't about a lack of colours, it's a lack of design. It's stripping down the logo to its bare basic form. As I mentioned earlier with the Gold Coast logo, look at what makes it up:
- A knight (Titan)
- Two crossed swords
- The word mark

Take out the person and the Words and we have two swords. This is simplified, but still too complicated. Hollow the swords out so we have an outline of the parts and you're in the right place. It will take a little bit of imagination and drawing skills seeing as the wordmarks cover it but you can easily do that Klim

Everton is a tad complicated, as is Hull City and Newcastle. The Hammers, you could get away with, but to make it even more minimalist, you could use either the castle on its own, or just the Hammers
Not much you can do with everton and hull.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back