Minimum games for draftees before being delisted

Should clubs be forced to give new draftees at least 1 game at AFL level before they can be delisted

• Yes

Votes: 12 8.0%
  • No

Votes: 138 92.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Of all the dumb ideas that get thrown around in football, this might be the worst. :$

You earn senior games, you don't get handed them. It would also completely devalue the achievement of earning an AFL debut.

Fortunately it would never happen.

Split the teams into top 11 and second 11.

Top 11 play each other at the normal stadium.

Second 11 play each other on another ground.

Gives the second 11 more of a chance to win more ball, get more stats, get used to the pressure of making the big decisions rather than letting the top players take the big shots etc.

Overall winner is the team with the highest aggregate i.e. St Kilda top 11 5.30.60 defeated Richmond top 11 7.9.51, St Kilda bottom 11 4.20.44 LOST Richmond11 12.8.80

Overall St Kilda 9.50.104 LOSTRichmond 19.17.131

Would ensure much better development and no child left behind.

Regardless, players are going to come and go. Thats the nature of this ruthless industry. Players who cant EARN one game in a senior side by playing good football in lower leagues and training well etc are just not going to make it by getting a token game.

The only benefit I see for these 0-game delisted players is the fact they can tell their kids they once played ONE game for an AFL side.
McDougall argued that players had earned the right to show off what they can do in an AFL game by virtue of all the effort put into being drafted in the first place.

And I know what you’ll say, and I agree. By being drafted they’ve only earned the opportunity to try and earn that debut game. Being drafted is an accomplishment, and is the reward for all the work leading up to it. The clock resets once you land on a list. Train hard, listen to the coach and perform like you deserve the debut.

McDougall argued that players had earned the right to show off what they can do in an AFL game by virtue of all the effort put into being drafted in the first place.

And I know what you’ll say, and I agree. By being drafted they’ve only earned the opportunity to try and earn that debut game. Being drafted is an accomplishment, and is the reward for all the work leading up to it. The clock resets once you land on a list. Train hard, listen to the coach and perform like you deserve the debut.

Yep. Youve pretty much answered McDougall's argument. I mean where does it end. Do all 18 AFL teams deserve a premiership cup each year by virtue of playing to their best abilities but their best is not as good as the GF winner. Do all players deserve a medal. Where does the rewarding for nothing end?

Implementing a policy like this has so many implications and no matter how well thought out it is issues will arise from it.

I can see it now - team in the race to make the finals coming into the final H&A round. They've got some useless 2nd year player whose been injured all year long and has just got himself fit. They already know they want to delist him at the end of the year - so they are faced with the choice of playing him and increasing their chances of losing because he's underdone and not very good to begin with OR not playing him and being forced to keep him on the list.

What a truly excellent idea.

A club could still turf a player after 1 or 2 years if it isn't working. The contract stays on the cap unless another team picks him up then the contract is moved to their books. That is how it works in USA sports which eventually the AFL will probably replicate.

Anyway AFL clubs are now pretty good at finding players of all age be it discards or unknowns. Menegola is a pretty good example of a guy shown the door but kept working at it and got another shot which he has taken with both hands.

I can see it now - team in the race to make the finals coming into the final H&A round. They've got some useless 2nd year player whose been injured all year long and has just got himself fit. They already know they want to delist him at the end of the year - so they are faced with the choice of playing him and increasing their chances of losing because he's underdone and not very good to begin with OR not playing him and being forced to keep him on the list.

What a truly excellent idea.

It would be an equalisation measure in a way because everyone would try and debut their spuds and get it over and done with when they play a bottom 4 side.

A club could still turf a player after 1 or 2 years if it isn't working. The contract stays on the cap unless another team picks him up then the contract is moved to their books. That is how it works in USA sports which eventually the AFL will probably replicate.

Anyway AFL clubs are now pretty good at finding players of all age be it discards or unknowns. Menegola is a pretty good example of a guy shown the door but kept working at it and got another shot which he has taken with both hands.

Good point on Menegola, McDougall hasn't even bothered to do his research.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty simple, players want free agency, thats fine. After 6 years service you are a free agent. Upto that point you are under the clubs control. They can trade you at a whim and delist you.

You are on a set wage for those 6 years, increasing each year. If you are good enough to survive 6 years you will get good money after 6 years.

Sick of players wanting all the best bits of US sports free agency and not the bits that give clubs control.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Back