Mininera and District FL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
just wondering who everybody thought was the best player in the mininera league is?

Hi there again olddunkeldboy!

Good question and probably easily narrowed down, based on was-been, current and potential.

WAS-BEENS:
Todd O'Sullivan has one of the best football brains in the league and based on winning his own footy is absolutely brilliant. Obviously at the end of his career, and would have loved to see him in his prime down in Melbourne district league comp.

Brad Sholl is similarly nearer the end of his career, but his footy smarts make him very dangerous at this level. You don't play 170 odd AFL games as a dud.

Dean Jenkinson with well over 500 games of senior football, also fits this criteria. 40yo next season, but fitness has kept him at or near his best or at more than a competitive level for along time.

The three players mentioned are all capable of winning or turning games, and it is no coincidence that all have coached at some stages of their careers.

CURRENT:

Andrew Tucker (Tat) is clearly the best KP player in this competition, clearly.
His GF performance this season showed his worth and versatility when he went into the ruck. Beautiful pair of hands, and the ultimate team player, who always gives the ball off to team-mates in better positions.
And all this with bung shoulders,......will be sorely missed by Taty, if all reports are right about his retirement!

Jahn Knight plays a very similar game to O'Sullivan, where his ability to win his own footy is impressive. Very little gap between his best and worst game, which gives you a player that you can build your midfield around.

Others like Rich Tucker, Sean McDougall, Murray Habel, David & Peter Jelbart, Craig Flower, John Vanderwaal, Nic Byrne and Lachie Barr are all terrific players in their own right.

POTENTIAL:

Andrew Maconachie (T) grabbed my eye with an absolutely brilliant final's series for Tatyoon in 08. He certainly got under H-Mac's guard with his great pace and undoubted ability to get himself into dangerous positions to carry the footy. Gets plenty of shots on goal, which can destroy teams from the wing. Only 17, and we probably will not see much more of him in the MDFL.

Luke Fisher (R) and Brenton McKenry (P) are two up and coming players, who standout from the other kids at their age. Both play on ball and considering they played in teams that lost more games than they won, they continually played at a high level. Winning your own ball, gives you so much of an advantage over those who can't or don't, and both these lads are blessed with this attribute.

Best/Most Important Summary:
In summary to all the above my best/most important player in 2008 was Andrew Tucker for the reasons stated. He may have missed a slice of the 08 season, but when he was playing the Hawks looked so much more dangerous. Clearly he was the most important/influential player in the 2008 GF as well.

ps: Hey 'lose', how about looking outside the Taty clubrooms just a little....lol.

Prediction:

Grant Ewing will probably take over the mantle in 2009, although his little bro in Darren, and also Justin Eales will keep him honest. Here come the Bombers!

By readin the spectator you would think that penshurst might be the team to beat in 09 with some great recruiting. The 2 Ewings are great footballers. Ive seen ealsy play and he will kill it in the MDFL. His brother will probably come back who is a good young winger. Wouldnt suprise me if the 2 sherlocks came home. You would think ronny watson will play another year after retiring every year for 3 years.
With glen also picking up a good coach and bolac aswell it looks great for the MDFL in general.
Taty will lose some good footballers so it will take a huge effort by dougie to recruit in the off-season.
Will be interesting to see what is happening at hawksdale do you know bloods?
Departures in general?

By readin the spectator you would think that penshurst might be the team to beat in 09 with some great recruiting. The 2 Ewings are great footballers. Ive seen ealsy play and he will kill it in the MDFL. His brother will probably come back who is a good young winger. Wouldnt suprise me if the 2 sherlocks came home. You would think ronny watson will play another year after retiring every year for 3 years.
With glen also picking up a good coach and bolac aswell it looks great for the MDFL in general.
Taty will lose some good footballers so it will take a huge effort by dougie to recruit in the off-season.
Will be interesting to see what is happening at hawksdale do you know bloods?
Departures in general?

All I know at this stage is that Jamie Hetherington will not coach, but will continue as a player. David Jelbart is on the move to the Geelong district to play, while Troy Richardson has apparently retired from playing at senior level.
Sholl and Matthews will continue on as per a very reliable source.:thumbsu:

All I know at this stage is that Jamie Hetherington will not coach, but will continue as a player. David Jelbart is on the move to the Geelong district to play, while Troy Richardson has apparently retired from playing at senior level.
Sholl and Matthews will continue on as per a very reliable source.:thumbsu:

Is Frank Mathews continuing with H/m?

Heard that he was leaving the club.

Good question and probably easily narrowed down, based on was-been, current and potential.

WAS-BEENS:
Todd O'Sullivan has one of the best football brains in the league and based on winning his own footy is absolutely brilliant. Obviously at the end of his career, and would have loved to see him in his prime down in Melbourne district league comp.

Brad Sholl is similarly nearer the end of his career, but his footy smarts make him very dangerous at this level. You don't play 170 odd AFL games as a dud.

Dean Jenkinson with well over 500 games of senior football, also fits this criteria. 40yo next season, but fitness has kept him at or near his best or at more than a competitive level for along time.

The three players mentioned are all capable of winning or turning games, and it is no coincidence that all have coached at some stages of their careers.

CURRENT:

His GF performance this season showed his worth and versatility when he went into the ruck. Beautiful pair of hands, and the ultimate team player, who always gives the ball off to team-mates in better positions.
And all this with bung shoulders,......will be sorely missed by Taty, if all reports are right about his retirement!

Jahn Knight plays a very similar game to O'Sullivan, where his ability to win his own footy is impressive. Very little gap between his best and worst game, which gives you a player that you can build your midfield around.

Others like Rich Tucker, Sean McDougall, David & Peter Jelbart, Nic Byrne and Lachie Barr are all terrific players in their own right.

POTENTIAL:

Andrew Maconachie (T) grabbed my eye with an absolutely brilliant final's series for Tatyoon in 08. He certainly got under H-Mac's guard with his great pace and undoubted ability to get himself into dangerous positions to carry the footy. Gets plenty of shots on goal, which can destroy teams from the wing. Only 17, and we probably will not see much more of him in the MDFL.

Luke Fisher (R) and Brenton McKenry (P) are two up and coming players, who standout from the other kids at their age. Both play on ball and considering they played in teams that lost more games than they won, they continually played at a high level. Winning your own ball, gives you so much of an advantage over those who can't or don't, and both these lads are blessed with this attribute.

In summary to all the above my best/most important player in 2008 was Andrew Tucker for the reasons stated. He may have missed a slice of the 08 season, but when he was playing the Hawks looked so much more dangerous. Clearly he was the most important/influential player in the 2008 GF as well.

ps: Hey 'lose', how about looking outside the Taty clubrooms just a little....lol.

Prediction:

Grant Ewing will probably take over the mantle in 2009, although his little bro in Darren, and also Justin Eales will keep him honest. Here come the Bombers!
bloods you and i havent agreed on much this year!!! but i would totally agree with your prediction on g ewing, although he has a crook back, eales (justin) is a running machine, the bombers might be a genuine contender. it depends on the strenght of other teams. dont overate hatherall he is just ok. seems mdfl has raised the standard, might be a very close year.

bloods you and i havent agreed on much this year!!! but i would totally agree with your prediction on g ewing, although he has a crook back, eales (justin) is a running machine, the bombers might be a genuine contender. it depends on the strenght of other teams. dont overate hatherall he is just ok. seems mdfl has raised the standard, might be a very close year.

I can't rate Hatherall, mainly because I don't know much about him.

Did hold down a KP for Shepparton United in the Goulbourn Valley League, so he must be able to tie his boots.

Overall it looks like the league might go up a cog or two, after a couple of seasons where it lost some very good quality players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tatyoon will have its work cut out in 2009 with Glenthompson-Dunkeld and Penshurst recruiting heavily in the off-season.
Grant Ewing is arguably the best player the Western Border league has seen in the past 10 years and has returned home to Penshurst.
Justin Eales, a Hampden b and f winner is only 24 and he will be Ewing's asst.
The Eagles should be thereabouts this season again, so look out Tatyoon, four in a row will be a tough task!! :p

Penshurst will b right up there with all there new players but they need 6 to 8 good players cos they where crap in 08. Tatyoon will b back with the pack this year with alot of there good players mite b gone. i have heard that Rich, Andy tucker, sean mcdougall, Brad wilson, chris milne, Andy ward,Tony campbell, Mitch welsh, mite not b at taty in 09. But its a long way off till the start off the season!

Penshurst will b right up there with all there new players but they need 6 to 8 good players cos they where crap in 08. Tatyoon will b back with the pack this year with alot of there good players mite b gone. i have heard that Rich, Andy tucker, sean mcdougall, Brad wilson, chris milne, Andy ward,Tony campbell, Mitch welsh, mite not b at taty in 09. But its a long way off till the start off the season!

All I know with Tatyoon, is right them off at your own peril.

From 2007 to 2008 they had to find eight to ten players to win this year's flag and did comprehensively. Admittedly only H-Mac improved enough to challenge them, but they wilted on the big stage eventually.

2009 will be tougher if they do lose some quality players, because it looks like a couple more teams will challenge, which is great.

Sean McDougall, Andy Tucker, Chris Milne are great players who will be gone for sure. Rich King may retire, and all those others I don't know about, but obviously will leave a fair dent.

Mister's goldmine will be fully tested in 2009!:thumbsu:

Oh mate I cant remember. All i heard was he was leaving H/M

Also Moysten have assigned two assistant coaches for 2009 in Terry Keilor and Will Bell (U/17 coach of Eagles in Season 08').

Disappointing news for the Eagles but good luck to Will.. Will be interesting to see how the older members of Moyston's playing group take instructions from 2 young and inexperienced coaches in Rea and Bell..

mate if you know anything about footy, not always does the best player in the comp win the league b&f!!!!!!!!

bloody oath mate that is especially true in juniors, but im pretty sure that the league b&f from each league around gets an automatic invite... and i no that sounds pretty stupid, especially with club umpires giving the votes...

WAS-BEENS:

CURRENT:

Others like Rich Tucker, Sean McDougall, Murray Habel, David & Peter Jelbart, Craig Flower, John Vanderwaal, Nic Byrne and Lachie Barr are all terrific players in their own right.

POTENTIAL:

Prediction:

Haha bloods... i rekon ur underrating fisher a bit... kid has been playing seniors for about 3 years and is only 17... should play alot of tac cup next year...

Haha bloods... i rekon ur underrating fisher a bit... kid has been playing seniors for about 3 years and is only 17... should play alot of tac cup next year...

yeah true the kid has alot of freakish talent and should be a regular in next years rebels tac cup campaign, Will any other players from this league make to the rebels squad next year?

I don't know if I have under-rated him, as I have mentioned him and only two others his age from the whole league.

He is a great little footballer, but not sure he will do much more than play TAC Cup, basically because he is not the prototype player the AFL talent scouts are looking for, because of his size, or lack of it.

Andrew fits the bill perfectly for what the scouts will be looking for, athletism, blistering pace, long kick, agility, evasiveness......I would be very surprised if Andy doesn't play a lot of TAC, and get recognised heavily by AFL clubs. He is the type of player AFL clubs love to build-up and make into running machines.

Young McKenry is more similar to Luke, but being a bit bigger may get more opportunity as well. They are both attuned to winning more of their own footy, compared with Andy who is predominantly a run and carry player at this stage.

I don't know if I have under-rated him, as I have mentioned him and only two others his age from the whole league.

He is a great little footballer, but not sure he will do much more than play TAC Cup, basically because he is not the prototype player the AFL talent scouts are looking for, because of his size, or lack of it.

Andrew fits the bill perfectly for what the scouts will be looking for, athletism, blistering pace, long kick, agility, evasiveness......I would be very surprised if Andy doesn't play a lot of TAC, and get recognised heavily by AFL clubs. He is the type of player AFL clubs love to build-up and make into running machines.

Young McKenry is more similar to Luke, but being a bit bigger may get more opportunity as well. They are both attuned to winning more of their own footy, compared with Andy who is predominantly a run and carry player at this stage.

..I agree with everything you have said above here bloods about andy and the others... yeah would have to say NO to McKenry and Fisher, don't get me wrong they have an amazing talents but there just a tad small... Andy has everything that u said above and has the potential of an AFL player i think...:thumbsu:

The way the TAC cup teams go about it in my opinion is all wrong.
for example, two players in the hampden league u16s last year. They were runner up and winner of the league best and fairest. Both got cut first round at falcons, not because of the fitness, skin folds, skill level.
but because they were under 175 centre metres tall.
now im not sure what rebels standards are, but surely if they have obvious ability they should be given a chance?
the game is turning into track stars and basketball players who have the skills drilled into them over intense pre seasons.
People might go against what im saying here, and frankly i dont care.
Fisher deserves the chance, Having heard storys from other youngsters who were matched up against him he has great ability.
Dudman, O'locklin, Clark, mcormack, noone and may are some names ive heard that will train with the rebels over summer.
Note;dudman noone and may are all under 175. so should be cut first round.
only time will tell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back