Mega Thread Minnesota Timberwolves Thread - The Finch Era begins

Remove this Banner Ad

All the answers to the questions you were afraid to ask about the Fremantle Dockers of the NBA. I'm here to help, people.

* The clock is ticking on the Ramon Sessions offer sheet. The Bucks have about 16 hours (1pm Sat Melbourne time) in which to match, or engineer a trade, which may involve sending Kurt Thomas to Dallas for the partially guaranteed contract of Greg Buckner.

* Further intrigue afoot with the final destinations of the flotsam and jetsam of the Wolves roster with a deal in the works that would send Chucky's partial guaranteed deal and Damien Wilkens to Boston for absolutely God knows what. I suspect the names Allen and Scalabrine will be mentioned. I feel woozy.

* Rodney Carney has returned to the Sixers.

* I'll even answer questions about the Spanish Jonas Brother if I must. I'm taking offers for his draft rights from any team not called the New York Knicks. And please don't quote Simmons or Chad Ford to me. Those two bastards are clueless.

mdc

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Jun 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
- Can you think of a team in recent history with a worse wing rotation? Will this be rectified by tip-off?

- If Rubio never makes his way over, will you keep telling all other NBA fans that he would have averaged a triple double as a rookie and gone on to eclipse Magic? (aka The Sabonis Clause)

- Rate Johnny Flynn's post entry passes on a scale of 1-10.

- Realistically, when do you expect to make the playoffs?

How has K-Love's off-season been going?

Went to Team USA Select Camp and did very well. You'll see a leaner KLove this season. He is going to be a very special player.

Ytoojae

All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
St Kilda East
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Angels, Blazers, Patriots
Lived in Oregon for a while. Had to scout him in his senior year of High School. I haven't met a kid who truly loves BASKETBALL and everything about it (not just the money and the bonuses) as much as K-Love does.

Kid's going to be a star. In the mould of what Troy Murphy provided last season in Indiana.

- Can you think of a team in recent history with a worse wing rotation? Will this be rectified by tip-off?

No. And No. If there is one staggering failure of the offseason, it is to find a SF, the rotation is both s**t and shallow. You may also get the opportunity to see Olexsiy 'The White Hole' Pecherov play there.

I pray for the ongoing health of Ryan Gomes and Corey Brewer every night. How sad.

We do however have lots of PG's and PF's. We're hoping no one will notice.

- If Rubio never makes his way over, will you keep telling all other NBA fans that he would have averaged a triple double as a rookie and gone on to eclipse Magic? (aka The Sabonis Clause)

Naturally. He's the Spanish Pete Maravich. He'd have made Steve Nash look like Bobby Brown. He made Bobby Brown look like Whitney Houston.

We'll get a chance to see Rubio strut his stuff.

- Rate Johnny Flynn's post entry passes on a scale of 1-10.

42. Actually he goes to his right nearly every time. But I think Jonny has a bright future.

- Realistically, when do you expect to make the playoffs?

Sorry, just had to get a dictionary to look it up. Wolves fans never expect to make the playoffs.

If a lot of things go right, ie. almost everything, a low seed in 2011 at the absolute earliest. But these aren't AFL lists, you can change half the roster in three months.

Interesting Wolves Fact #1: This upcoming season is the third since KG left Minnesota. The only player on the roster to have played in the same team as KG is Mark Blount.

Haha, the Fremantle Dockers of the NBA. Can't argue with that.

Maybe Sandilands could be an option at centre? :p

And Mark Blount can ruck for Freo. Make it so.

Milwaukee will not be matching the offer sheet for Ramon Sessions. Actual talent arriving in Minneapolis people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about him?

The leader of the pack on "David Kahn is crap", yet for a professional journalist (well, semi-pro) seems unwilling to make anything more than a cursory analysis of the Rubio situation.

Hodges

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors
What happens if Minny luck out on the John Wall stakes next year? Trade Flynn and Rubio?

What happens if Minny luck out on the John Wall stakes next year? Trade Flynn and Rubio?

By luck out I presume you mean Minny land pick 1 and Wall is the consensus #1 (as he is now).

Simple. You draft him as the BPA. Would rather be the guy who drafted him or the team that passes on him?

Rubio is the guy that gets traded here. My understanding is his Barca deal has not out clause in 2010, so 2011 is the earliest he will buy out his deal. You hold his rights until he is ready and then move him when he REALLY wants to come over.

Hodges

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors
Should this team be looking to sign a Centre sometime soon - or is the Jefferson/Love frontcourt a viable long-term solution?

Perhaps Dean Garrett is still available.

Lol. :p

But seriously, its an odd situation. Al Jeff is undersized for the 5 spot, but he needs the paint to operate. In hindsight would they have been better off drafting Lopez? They would be heaps better defensively (just due to his size in the paint) but a lot more crowded down low.

How do you see this panning out Messenger?

Should this team be looking to sign a Centre sometime soon - or is the Jefferson/Love frontcourt a viable long-term solution?

Perhaps Dean Garrett is still available.

Lol. :p

But seriously, its an odd situation. Al Jeff is undersized for the 5 spot, but he needs the paint to operate. In hindsight would they have been better off drafting Lopez? They would be heaps better defensively (just due to his size in the paint) but a lot more crowded down low.

How do you see this panning out Messenger?

Fair points both of you and welcome to the information kiosk hans moleman.

We have a recent tradition at the Wolves of positioning a 7' stiff at the end of the bench each year. In '07 it was Michael Doleac, in '08 the twin stiffs of Jason Collins and Calvin Booth (the twin cautionary tales of the MLE).

In '09 we have Mark Blount. Now while he is not quite as stiff as the aforementioned three, he is not much chop and his is expensive to boot. The rest of the depth chart is made up of Ryan Hollins and The White Hole, Pecherov. Hollins has been invested in for 3 years and will get reasonable PT but Pech is pure place marker.

The other option is Garet Siler who played his NCAA ball for D-II Augusta State. He impressed in the Wolves summer league side and will be attending Atlanta's veterans camp. With Jason Collins signed up (HA) I imagine Siler is surplus to requirements. I'd rather take a flier on him than keep Blount to the trade deadline.

Outside of that I'd think Cole Aldrich (a MN native btw) will be very high on the Wolves wish list come draft day.

As to Mr. Jefferson. He's 6'11" in his shoes but he is too short for centre; he is still however a 20-10 player out of position on a s**t truck squad. That is pretty good going.

I don't use PER all that often but it does illustrate a point about Al. His offensive PER at C is 26, but his net PER is 7, ie. gets it done offensively, but gets creamed on the other end. Kevin Love presently has a similar, but not as severe problem.

What to do? Really depends on how his knee goes (he is on track to be ready to go opening night). He has 4 years (and $54m) to run on his contract. I'd think they will make a decision in the next two season, but If I had to pick, I'd say Al will be the one to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back