Teams Minnesota Vikings - Skol Vikings

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Adrian Peterson - this kid is the next big thing

[youtube]rJ1xDBT1jM[/youtube]

Certainly is an upright runner but geez hes good.

no denying it, the kid has talent, i just hope the big hit isn't around the corner, cause i like it when he gets that 15 yard run, once he does, its really hard to stop him.

Terrell Davis over Barry Sanders?? Thats a bit of a stretch. Nobody moves like Barry. Not saying Davis is not a quality back, but put any RB in Mike Shanahan's system and he'll be a 1400 yard back.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of the mercurial and unique Sanders and his ability to make massive runs, especially with the lack of supporting cast in Detroit. I always thought he was a league above Smith, who had more than a few HOF team mates in Dallas. I just preferred the reliability and style of Davis who seemed to make most of his yards on inside runs, also with an upright running style. When Sanders made a run you never knew what was coming (neither did he), but I always thought Davis was classical. It's like he was charmed in the way he would hit a gap or sidestep a defender. He was the consumate professional and you just knew he was going to be a winner. Nice complement to Elway's style.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of the mercurial and unique Sanders and his ability to make massive runs, especially with the lack of supporting cast in Detroit. I always thought he was a league above Smith, who had more than a few HOF team mates in Dallas. I just preferred the reliability and style of Davis who seemed to make most of his yards on inside runs, also with an upright running style. When Sanders made a run you never knew what was coming (neither did he), but I always thought Davis was classical. It's like he was charmed in the way he would hit a gap or sidestep a defender. He was the consumate professional and you just knew he was going to be a winner. Nice complement to Elway's style.

It is kind of topical... someone on one of the big sites (ESPN or CNNSI) was saying Sanders was over-rated... 2.7 per run average in the post-season or something... didn't really read much of it, bit of a pot stir.

this kid will have a shorter then expected career, granted he's lighting it up atm in his first year as a pro player, but his style of running is more prone to injury, he runs to upright, that being said, you'd expect at least 7-8 good years out of him.

At least if its short he will make up for lost time at this rate!

Didn't Peterson have injuries worries in College??
Anyway watching the highlights he wouldn't have got too banged up on the w/end as the Chargers D hardly touched him!! When he finally did get tackled he always seemed to lower his body and head. Seemed to be the D that was more banged up.

Surely a "less upright" RB running behind a weaker OL would get more banged up than Peterson atm.

Also he got 250+ yds in just one half!!! unbelievable!!

He had a big game against Chicago and then did nothing against Detroit.
He nows has another 200+ yard game.
Lets see if he can now back this performance up wikth another 100+ yard game. This will be the first time that a team has got first hand knowledge about how he plays.
Another flash in the pan??????????

Position: Running Back

School: Oklahoma

Height: 6-2

Weight: 220

40-Yard Dash: 4.55 (EST)
Positives:
Peterson can be an absolute workhorse, the rare kind of back who has the ability to take an offense on his back and carry it. His talent is undeniable, with the ability to lower his shoulder and punish a defender, or to turn his feet and dash around one. Almost unparalleled vision, and runs hard all over the field, then harder near the end zone. That's a rarity among runners these days.

Negatives:
As amazing as he is, Peterson does have some rough spots. He's missed a lot of time with shoulder and ankle issues, particularly a high ankle sprain that keeps seeming to pop up. Between that and how hard Oklahoma used him, there is concern that he may not last long in the NFL. His skills as a receiver out of the backfield are a work-in-progress at best, and his blocking ability can be pretty laughable at times.

Overview:
The single-best running back prospect the NFL has seen in years, but he does have his question marks. His injury history and lack of an all-around game will scare some teams off, but he should still be drafted pretty high. Top ten is very likely, and top fifteen is almost assured.

type in andrian peterson draft into google and you'll get a few of these that are still about.

Lets see if he can now back this performance up wikth another 100+ yard game. This will be the first time that a team has got first hand knowledge about how he plays.

Are Ten question marks enough? still have doubts on the dynamo rookie ? :eek:

We'll know for sure exactly whether you can start deleting question marks or using that pan to cook some pancakes as the NFC hots up in coming weeks. Detroit are still in the hunt for the division don't forget. ;)

I hate to state the obvious, but I'm going to anyway. Detroit is currently ranked #12 against the run this year, Chicago #26 and San Diego #22. Peterson also didn't put up big numbers against the Cowboys who's rushing defence is ranked #5.

I'm starting to see a pattern here.......

Peterson goes to Green Bay this week (#8 rushing defence), so I doubt if you'll see big numbers.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry no link but heard on ESPN that Peterson's MRI revealed a grade 2 LCL tear, likely to be out 3-4 weeks.

When is the league going to ban this diving at the knees style of tackle?

Sorry no link but heard on ESPN that Peterson's MRI revealed a grade 2 LCL tear, likely to be out 3-4 weeks.

When is the league going to ban this diving at the knees style of tackle?

Ball carrier can be tackled any which way except to helmet region..ie: facemask & from behind under helmet.

Injuries are part of the game also. QB get protection after passing.
Crackback blocks are also a no-no in the NFL.

It's AMERICAN FOOTBALL Brasher.. no place for the faint hearted unfortunately.

They said all along it was going to hard to keep this guy on the field. Perhaps something that could happen to anyone but this is why is draft stock was lower than his production 'so far' has shown.

Sack-king to ViKings

In a move that brings an instant pass-rushing threat to their defensive line, the Vikings on Wednesday acquired the services of defensive end Jared Allen, the league’s leader in sacks last season with 15.5 and a player who has tallied 43 sacks over the course of a four-year career with the Kansas City Chiefs.

In exchange for Allen, the Vikings sent their 2008 first-round pick (#17 overall) as well as two 2008 third-round selections to the Chiefs and the teams swapped sixth-round selections. They also agreed on a new six-year contract with Allen.

The addition of Allen aggressively addresses a pressing need for the Vikings and makes an already stout defensive front even more formidable.

Information Above Courtesy of www.vikings.com

Re: Sack-king to ViKings

Great deal for both teams. A 1st rd & two 3rd rd picks is not a bad result for the Chiefs especially as Allen refused to sign a long term contract with them.

6 picks now in first 82 and 13 picks overall!!! Hope for their sake it's a strong draft.

Pressure has just gone up a few notches on Aaron Rodgers!

Re: Sack-king to ViKings

In a move that brings an instant pass-rushing threat to their defensive line, the Vikings on Wednesday acquired the services of defensive end Jared Allen, the league’s leader in sacks last season with 15.5 and a player who has tallied 43 sacks over the course of a four-year career with the Kansas City Chiefs.

In exchange for Allen, the Vikings sent their 2008 first-round pick (#17 overall) as well as two 2008 third-round selections to the Chiefs and the teams swapped sixth-round selections. They also agreed on a new six-year contract with Allen.

The addition of Allen aggressively addresses a pressing need for the Vikings and makes an already stout defensive front even more formidable.

Information Above Courtesy of www.vikings.com

Sounds like your CHUFFED to the brim Rhyno? To get to the Big Dance is what it's all about and I think the Vikes are rolling in the right direction with their division always seems to be a lottery. Acquiring Allen should guarentee a Wildcard.

Minnesota pick

being a viking fan i was hoping coming into this draft that the vikings would get themselves anyone of a WR,DE or QB in the first two rounds. we fixed the need for a DE when we traded our first pick (#17) and a few later rounds to the Chiefs for Jared Allen , i was ecstatic with that but with our pick in the 2nd we traded up the board with the Eagles from Pick 47 to 42 , I was getting excited thinking the vikes would pounce for the undrafted Brian Brohm or Chad Henne to fix our QB Situation (yes i am that hard on Tjack) or even take one of the Many WR that had been undrafted to that point (Limas Sweed , Malcolm Kelly and DeSean Jackson to name a few) but no we pick a FS in Tyrell Johnson , something that i really don't feel was a pressing need for the team when we have one of the better FS in the league in darren sharper, don't get me wrong Johnson maybe the next superstar defensive player , i wish him all the success with my mighty vikes but i feel that we should have grabbed the bull by the horns and taken one of the afore mentioned names , i just feel we would not need to trade up and lose picks to get someone that probably would have been there at 47.

maybe we may be able to snare Andre' Woodson in the 5th round where we have picks 15 and 17 but at the moment that looks unlikely unless we trade up again into the third where i expect him to go , but then again I didn't expect Brohm and henne to fall that far down the board , so really anything could happen.

Re: Minnesota pick

okay , i just found footage of the draft analysis from nfl.com speculating who the vikes would take with the above mentioned pick , and they feel that the vikes have chosen well , considering they believe that he is the best defensive back tackler in the draft , and the kid also has speed , so i am pretty much changing my views from above and starting to think the vikings made the right move with this guy.

http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d808000f4

Re: Minnesota pick

OT was probably the biggest need for the Vikes, but with 7 taken in the first round, there was no value left in the second round. So the Vikings went for a Darren Sharper replacement instead - I don't have a problem with that!

Tavaris Benched - Frerotte to Start Against Carolina

It didn't take long for Childress to lose patience with Tavaris Jackson - uninjured, he heads to the bench on Sunday....

http://min.scout.com/2/791599.html

Gus Frerotte is the Vikings’ new starter at quarterback, head coach Brad Childress announced Wednesday at his press conference.

Vikings coach Brad Childress didn’t just back off his comments after Sunday’s game, saying that Tarvaris Jackson is his quarterback, he completely reversed field and named Gus Frerotte as his starter for this weekend’s game against the Carolina Panthers.

“I know full well that one position is not responsible and that everyone needs to step up,” Childress said. “I’m just not seeing right now the aggressiveness from Tarvaris that I saw throughout the offseason, training camp, the two preseason games that he played in. Part of that may be experience and I know he’ll give us that,” Childress said.

Jackson has completed 30 of 59 passes in his two games – both losses – this season for 308 yards, one touchdown, one interception and a 64.8 passer rating.

Childress said he saw signs of Jackson progressing throughout the offseason and in the preseason before he sprained the medial collateral ligament in his knee in the second preseason game, “but I just haven’t seen that aggressiveness re-appear. Since then it hasn’t been at full throttle and that’s what I expect at that position and he knows exactly where he’s at. It does not need to be a death knell for Tarvaris Jackson. There are many quarterbacks in this league that have experienced bumps in the road.”

“When I go back through and look at the tape and the decision-making, you have milliseconds to pull the trigger and the overall aggressiveness of being able to pull it out and snap something off with an extremely quick decision. Obviously, I always talk about making the routine plays routinely.”

Childress said he made the decision on Tuesday and talked it over with Jackson and got a chance to talk with Frerotte last night.

“He’s been in this situation before,” Childress said of Frerotte, “the starter, removed as the starter, the backup, it’s been cast forward. There’s not been a lot of things that he hasn’t seen in his 15 years in this league.”

For his career, Frerotte has a 54.2 completion percentage with 19,134 yards passing, 102 touchdowns and 91 interceptions with a 74.3 rating.

Childress said Jackson doesn’t like the decision but will make the most of it and said he could be a few snaps away from being back in if an injury would occur.

The coach still sees the skills in Jackson that say he can be a quarterback “in this league at a high level. Obviously, the skills have not been commensurate with the growth.”

Asked what changed his mind from his backing of Jackson Sunday after the Colts loss, Childress said, “Most importantly, to be able to sit across from the young man and want to be able to verify what you’re seeing, it’s kind of like looking in your kids eyes. … Tarvaris is a man of few words, so it’s not fair to really talk about that discussion.”

Childress said it won’t be a checkers game where he is switching back and forth, so the Vikings move forward with Frerotte as their new starter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back