Teams Minnesota Vikings - Skol Vikings

Remove this Banner Ad

Kalil actually did okay. Clemmings though, far out tough learning game for him on that one.

We were just bad both sides of the ball, offense couldn't stay on the field long enough for the D to recover.
D couldn't stop the run or basically any play before they reached the second level.

Very tough game to watch.

The Vikings must have a lot of faith in Eric Kendricks to pull the trigger on trading Hodges to the 49ers. IMO a 6th round pick and OC Nick Easton isn't a great deal considering Hodges was a borderline starter on the team.

The move means that Kendricks will see more action and become a 3 down starter with Anthony Barr. Chad Greenway will continue to be taken off the field in the nickel.

The move leaves the Vikings with just 5 linebackers on the active roster (Eric Kendricks ILB, Audie Cole ILB, Chad Greenway OLB, Anthony Barr OLB, and Edmond Robinson OLB) with OLB Brandon Watts on the practice squad.

Nick Easton bolsters the Vikings diabolical offensive line, but I would expect he'll move to the practice squad when Sulivan returns from IR.

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The Vikings traded linebacker Gerald Hodges to the San Francisco 49ers on Tuesday.
Hodges, 24, was the Vikings' starting middle linebacker after winning the job in the preseason. He was a fourth-round pick by the Vikings in the 2013 draft. In return for Hodges, the Vikings received a sixth-round pick and rookie center Nick Easton from the 49ers.
Hodges and Easton must pass physicals for the trade to be finalized.
Easton, 23, is an undrafted rookie out of Harvard who hasn't taken a single NFL snap. He was active for two games in San Francisco, but didn't play. This is the second time Easton has been traded in his young career, as he was dealt from the Baltimore Ravens to the 49ers for a conditional seventh-round pick last month.
General manager Rick Spielman broke the news to local beat writers in a scheduled media session around 2:45 p.m. CT as the Vikings head into their Week 5 bye. Spielman had to briefly delay the start of the availability to "get some business done," presumably the trade.
"In my mind, we got our sixth-round pick back we used to trade for [Jeremiah] Sirles, and we still get to add another young player to see what he's about," Spielman said.
Since coach Mike Zimmer took over in January 2014, the Vikings have revamped the linebacker corps, using a first- and a second-round pick in back-to-back years to draft Anthony Barr and Eric Kendricks.
Kendricks is presumably the favorite to take over for Hodges as the starting middle linebacker in base packages. Kendricks was already starting over Hodges in the team's often-used nickel package.
Spielman said moving Hodges was about using the Vikings' depth at linebacker to bolster another position.
"Because of how we feel about Kendricks," Spielman said. "One area of strength we had was we have a lot of depth at that position [linebacker]. We feel strongly about Audie Cole and what he can bring, but the development of Kendricks and Edmond Robinson continues to come along. And we still have [Brandon] Watts on our practice squad, so we feel very good about our depth at that position."
It's a depth move for the Vikings and an offensive line that was thinned by two season-altering injuries to center John Sullivan, who had back surgery last month and is out until at least Week 9, and right tackle Phil Loadholt, out for the season with a torn Achilles tendon.
The Vikings just allowed seven sacks in a 23-20 loss at Denver on Sunday.

Easton was going to get cut from the 49ers and their OLine is as bad as ours... Don't really rate this trade which is the first time in a while I've really wondered what Slick Rick is doing.
agreed - there are a lot of other Clubs out there with bad OLs as well, so maybe it was a way to guarantee he made it to the Vikings. Apparently the Vikings wanted to pick him up as an UDFA, but he chose the Ravens instead.

Some interesting stats from the game against the Chiefs.

With Charles Johnson out (ribs) the Vikings WR snaps: Diggs (57), Wallace (54), Wright (31), Thielen (10), Patterson (7) on 68 plays from the offence (31 passes, 35 rushes, 2 sacks).

Very, very significant that (5th round rookie) Diggs gets the bulk of the snaps and (1st round bust) Patterson gets next to nothing. If the Vikings had a viable WR on the practice squad I reckon Patterson would be gone....

Vikings place CB Jabari Price on injured reserve and promote LB Brandon Watts to active roster. Sign LB Terrance Plummer and FB Renaud to practice squad, WR Donte Foster is waived from practice squad.

The move brings the number of linebackers on the team back to 6 and returns Watts to the active roster.

Plummer was most recently on the Washington practice squad and was waived by them earlier this month.

In other news John Sullivan recently needed a second back surgery and may not be brought back from IR. Sullivan can stay on IR-to-return this week before the Vikings need to either activate him, or place him on season-ending injured reserve.

I vote this thread be renamed in honour of future legend (and I know this will probably be a jinx and I apologise in advance) Stefon Diggs

On another note, as someone who only watches Vikings games through Redzone highlights Monday morning, what do fellow Vikings fans make of Bridgewater as the QB? As a relative noob to this sport, I don't really know whether Bridgewater is progressing as expected. I mean he has been leading the Vikings to a positive record this year (albeit against weak teams), but from the highlights I see (and I stress highlights), and with one of the greatest RB in the league in AP, I'm not sure what is considered a pass mark for him at this stage in his career/season.

I'm happy with Bridgewater's development I think with maturity he will get a lot better in pressure situations and getting this team to play games together will help them gel as an offence.

The key to Bridgewater's improvement will be his ability to develop a strong rapport with his receivers and some stability in that area will do him the world of good IMO. It looks like Diggs may have found a long term spot on the team and I'd be happy if the Vikings go forward with Johnson, Diggs, and Wright as WRs 1-3 and Rudolph/Pruitt at TE. I'm not convinced that Mike Wallace is a long term solution for the Vikings. Having a decent receiving RB on the team would help as well and I don't think Peterson ticks the box as a receiver.

Was at the game (my first NFL one) and loved it. We had seats about 8 rows back from the 10 yard line and was on the side that Sherels, Diggs and the winning field goal were scored on. Had these very very large bears fans sitting next to us. Photo below is of one who had fallen asleep on me. He was switching between sleeping on me and insulting me - very interesting experience.

Skol Vikes!

12187720_10153595660476006_4469578375102733060_n.jpg

Last edited:
Start of a tough run home for the Vikes.

Rams, @ Raiders, Mr Rodgers, @ Falcons, Hawks, @Cards, Bears, Giants & @ Mr Rodgers.

Bears the only one currently sitting under .500, couple sitting on it at present.

Will be tough to make the playoffs, but if they do they definitely would have earned it. We can do it #believe.

Pull through though even with a decent W/L on the run home and I think it will do this young team wonders going forward playing some of these quality teams late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win. Only the Bengals have now allowed fewer points than the Vikes, and they haven't played yet this week. This young defence is looking more legit each week. A few positions of worry (SS, MLB Depth), but so far they have been to cover.

Another day out for AP, don't need to say anything about him really, beast is going to beast. Teddy's composure has been good, bad decisions are becoming rarer and rarer. Passing game is still not quite all it should be, while he may not be a long term answer I would still love to see more from Wallace to coincide with Stef when needed.

Love what Zimmer & Co. are building more each week. good off-season, good season so far, just hope it continues and ends on a good note to propel them into next season and beyond.

Big test this week again on this run home, Packers will come out blazing after the media has been trying to officially 'pass the torch' already.

Last edited:
Penalties penalties penalties...Penalties on the somewhat makeshift OL early and then the D giving up 3 to allow the TD.

Going to need to see a vastly different Offence in the second half. Credit to the Cheesey D.

Last edited:
First real time this year you could say there was lots of silly decisions & brain fades. Far to many penalties alot of them coming at inopportune times. Over a 100yds in penalties too?

The OL was completely out played today, gave away penalties early and was negative for the rest of the day, it's beat up, but it also got beat up today.

Teddy was actually fantastic given what he had to work with in my opinion. Copped a beating and kept making plays, it's all you can ask, you could tell he was hurting.

AP was held in check, a product of the Cheesey D stepping up and continuing there form from last week, but also the aforementioned OL problems.

Defence was at times great but also too many penalties today also on the field too much, couldn't quite hold them up enough and let them get the FG's on the board early.

Some vintage Rodgers at times today too, give him a little bit of extra time and he'll find something.

All in all, it was never going to be easy and the Vikes got a learning opportunity today to put a positive swing on it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back