Teams Minnesota Vikings - Skol Vikings

Remove this Banner Ad

Vikings hired Demitrius Washington as the team's vice president of football operations.​

Washington joins new Vikings general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah in Minnesota's retooled front office. Washington served as the 49ers director of research and development -- a job once filled by Adofo-Mensah -- before taking the Minnesota VP of football operations job. Adofo-Mensah has clearly been given space to shape the team's front office how he sees fit.

The Athletic's Chad Graff reports Irv Smith was a full participant at Vikings minicamp.​

Smith (knee) has been eased back from a torn meniscus he suffered in early September that brought his 2021 to an end but appears for training camp. Last offseason, Smith was expected to be in line for a breakout campaign after going for 30-365-5 in 2020 on just 43 targets. Instead, it was backup tight end Tyler Conklin who emerged for 61-593-3 and ranked 12th among tight ends in targets (86) in Smith's absence. With Conklin now on the Jets, 2022 could shape up as the year Smith finally breaks out. Newly minted head coach Kevin O'Connell has already expressed interest in making Smith a focal point of the offense, which could be enough to yield top-12 PPR upside.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press' Chris Tomasson doesn't expect the Vikings to extend contract-year RB Alexander Mattison.​

Mattison is headed into the final year of his rookie deal and is "not aware" of any contract talks between Minnesota and his agent. The 24-year-old will almost certainly be looking for a lead-back job on the open market next spring after showing he's more than capable of carrying the load anytime Dalvin Cook has missed games. He's still one of the most valuable true backup running backs in fantasy.
SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter
Aug 10, 2022, 8:07 PM ET

O"Sullivan nailed this one. The first half of the video (first half of the game) Mond"s vision and decision making is poor. But in the second half, something clicks in him and he made a bunch of excellent difficult throws, and read both sides of the field.
Mond vs the 2nd team compared to Mond vs the 3rd and 4th

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An even wilder stat

Only one QB has more passing yards through first 16 starts than 49ers’ Nick Mullens​

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes passed for 5,100 yards through his first 16 NFL starts. That is an NFL record — by a significant margin. The next closest quarterback was Andrew Luck of the Indianapolis Colts, who threw for 4,374 yards in his first 16 starts.

That changed on Sunday.

Jumping ahead of Luck on the list is probably an unexpected name — San Francisco 49ers backup quarterback Nick Mullens, who now has 4,405 passing yards through his first 16 NFL starts. He entered Sunday's game against the Dallas Cowboys needing 188 passing yards to match Luck and surpassed that mark in the fourth quarter on a 5-yard pass to wide receiver Brandon AIyuk.

He's still an upgrade over Mond and Mannion for the backup job. Reckon he's in to replace the both of them. Or maybe, just maybe, Mond survives so they keep trying to develop him.
Practice squad at best for Mond. Wouldn't be surprised if they let him go as he struggles with anticipation. He has to see someone open before throwing the ball, rather than anticipating where the receiver will be and throwing the ball there. As I mentioned a few posts ago he's fine against the 3rd and 4th tier players, but is not capable against starters or the 2nd team which is a worry for a 2nd year player. Add to that some mechanical issues with his throwing that result in under and over throws on regular occasions and you can see why Mullins was brought in.

Last year he couldn't even get the players lined up properly, so there has been some improvement, but not enough to warrant keeping him IMO.

Mannion is meh, but he's better than Mond.

TBH, I would've preferred the Vikings chased Nate Sudfield, but I can only assume that he wasn't available at the time (or the cost to the Vikings was too high). I'd be interested to see if Sudfield makes the roster and the 49ers keep 3 QBs.

Practice squad at best for Mond. Wouldn't be surprised if they let him go as he struggles with anticipation. He has to see someone open before throwing the ball, rather than anticipating where the receiver will be and throwing the ball there. As I mentioned a few posts ago he's fine against the 3rd and 4th tier players, but is not capable against starters or the 2nd team which is a worry for a 2nd year player. Add to that some mechanical issues with his throwing that result in under and over throws on regular occasions and you can see why Mullins was brought in.

Last year he couldn't even get the players lined up properly, so there has been some improvement, but not enough to warrant keeping him IMO.

TBH, I would've preferred the Vikings chased Nate Sudfield, but I can only assume that he wasn't available at the time (or the cost to the Vikings was too high). I'd be interested to see if Sudfield makes the roster and the 49ers keep 3 QBs.
Mannion and Mond are expendable imo. There are some other decent QBs from preseason too if the Vikes wanna add to Mullens and Cousins....like Steveller or Plitt.

Whats the fascination or link with Sudfield?

He absolutely sucks from everything ive seen. Might be the worst QB in the league.

Whats the fascination or link with Sudfield?

He absolutely sucks from everything ive seen. Might be the worst QB in the league.
Trawling the league for a viable option from the QB3s on each team doesn’t give you much to go on……

Trawling the league for a viable option from the QB3s on each team doesn’t give you much to go on……

PJ Walker, our QB3 is 50x the player Suddy is.

I think Mullens is fine and a far better player than both of them.

Vikings coach Kevin O'Connell said "it's been trending that way" when asked if second-round G Ed Ingram was starting at right guard.​

Ingram sat out the preseason finale after posting an 87.3 PFF run block grade in his 64 snaps. Beating out free-agent signing Jesse Davis introduces some extra upside to Minnesota's interior line, which could help Dalvin Cook and company in the run game.

Vikings WR Bisi Johnson suffered a torn ACL and will miss the 2022 season.​

Johnson was in the final season of his rookie contract and appeared to have made the roster, so this is a brutal break for him. He'll likely be placed on IR in the coming days as the Vikings trim to 53. He has now torn his ACL in each of the last two seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back