Teams Minnesota Vikings - Skol Vikings

Remove this Banner Ad

onterrio smith's new (uh-hm) device

is this bloke fair dinkum? i mean i suppose the prosthetic penis could've have been for a minicamp prank!!!!!

Vikings: Onterrio Smith caught with kit to foil drug tests
Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
May 11, 2005 VIKE0511

Vikings running back Onterrio Smith was detained last month at Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport after police found paraphernalia later identified as a kit used to circumvent drug tests.

Smith was neither arrested nor charged, but as of Tuesday it was unclear whether the incident will affect his status in the NFL's confidential substance-abuse program.

Smith acknowledged to airport police that he was carrying dried urine, along with a device called "The Original Whizzinator" and a bottle of pills labeled "Cleansing Formula." He told police the kit was "for making a clean urine test," according to the police report, and said he was taking the materials to his cousin.

Smith was suspended four games last season after testing positive for marijuana, his second "strike" in the league's program. A third "strike" would result in a yearlong suspension. An attempt to substitute a urine specimen qualifies as a positive test, but NFL spokesman Greg Aiello did not immediately know Tuesday whether possession of a masking device fits that criteria.

Smith could not be reached for comment. His agents -- Michael Sullivan, Doug Hendrickson and Jeff Sperbeck -- declined to comment. Vikings coach Mike Tice said he was unaware of the incident and had no comment.

According to the police report, a bag Smith was carrying set off security alarms before an April 21 flight. The alarms later were traced to a tube of toothpaste.

During the search, a Transportation Security Administration officer found "six or seven" vials of white powder in a clear bag, according to the report. Airport police were called to the scene and began inspecting the materials in a private room.

A sample from one of the vials tested negative for cocaine and opiates. Smith was then led into the room and identified the powder as dried urine. He also acknowledged the presence of a Whizzinator.

Smith was allowed to leave after questioning.

The $150 device includes a prosthetic penis attached to a jockstrap and plastic bag. Using a syringe, the user fills the bag with a precisely measured amount of water blended with the urine powder to create a clean sample. When the user takes a drug test in front of an observer, the water is released through the prosthetic with a valve (the instructions recommend the user cough to hide the sound of the valve unsnapping).

On its website, manufacturers of The Original Whizzinator market the instrument as an "undetectable,"foolproof" and "re-usable" urinating device.

Like other professional sports leagues, the NFL administers random drug tests to players.

According to Aiello, the NFL's testing guidelines include having the player take his shirt off and pull his pants down below his knees in front of an observer.

Smith, 24, was kicked off the University of Tennessee football team in 2000 for marijuana use and finished his college career at Oregon. Scouts considered him one of the top running backs available in the 2003 draft, but questions about his past drug use and character dropped him to the fourth round.

He rushed for 579 yards as a rookie and led the Vikings last season with 544 yards. Barring another suspension, Smith is expected to compete with Michael Bennett and Mewelde Moore for the starting job.

Re: onterrio smith's new (uh-hm) device

i mean i suppose the prosthetic penis could've have been for a minicamp prank!!!!!

Yep...

A guy who has tested positive for drugs before, is carrying around a fake ********, and urine powder to play a joke at minicamp. :rolleyes:

He served a 4 game suspension what... last year? Test him,find him guilty AGAIN, and suspend him for the whole season.

Gotta teach the kid a lesson...

Re: Dashing Darren Sharper

Yes i do miss Sharper at the Packers, even worst that he is wearing that putrid Vikings jersey every week. He reads the play so damn well and provides great coverage for the CB, i really do think he is an asset that we are missing quite badly :( . Was my favourite player........

tige19 said:
Yes i do miss Sharper at the Packers, even worst that he is wearing that putrid Vikings jersey every week. He reads the play so damn well and provides great coverage for the CB, i really do think he is an asset that we are missing quite badly :( . Was my favourite player........

Nice to see he is getting a bit of love here.

tige19 said:

Missing?

14th ranked Pass defence.
11th ranked run defence.
10th overall.

Gave up 74 big plays last season, 60 of those on pass plays, this year, in nine games the total is eleven.

Our D was never as good as this while he was there...

Credit where credit is due. Jim Bates and Ted Thompson. Thompson got rid of the dead wood, Bates has turned them into a respectable unit.

fuey said:
Missing?

14th ranked Pass defence.
11th ranked run defence.
10th overall.

Gave up 74 big plays last season, 60 of those on pass plays, this year, in nine games the total is eleven.

Our D was never as good as this while he was there...

Credit where credit is due. Jim Bates and Ted Thompson. Thompson got rid of the dead wood, Bates has turned them into a respectable unit.

Dude..................................

Sharper>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Roman

Come on who would you prefer??

I heard a wise man say Defense wins championships, well where not 2 and 6 cause we have a good D.

You think we would have OK rankings if we played a few more of the tougher AFC sides ??? take away the Bengals and Browns and add the Colts and Broncos and we have a different story.

To be fair Fuey we dont have a tough schedule and the rankings are a example of that, if we where in the AFC we wold be 0-8.

were those stats for real? I would think that about 20 of those came in the game against Indianapolis last year!

there is also less reason to go for the big play against the packers now because if you just play solid 'safe' football the packers will end up making a mistake due to lack of experience or whatever it be. They can also play this way because with your injuries your offense isnt that intimidating and teams arent worried you'll jump to a big lead

danielz_23 said:
were those stats for real? I would think that about 20 of those came in the game against Indianapolis last year!

there is also less reason to go for the big play against the packers now because if you just play solid 'safe' football the packers will end up making a mistake due to lack of experience or whatever it be. They can also play this way because with your injuries your offense isnt that intimidating and teams arent worried you'll jump to a big lead

What a load of ********.

Teams aren't going for big plays against the Packers because they don't need to. I hope you realise how dumb that sounds... :thumbsdown:

Tige, Sharper greater than Roman? No doubt, but Roman plays SS, not FS. Sharper better than Collins? Sharper has experience, Collins has speed and tackling ability. Collins can get experience... Sharper can't get his speed back.
Who would I rather? Collins. Heartbeat. Said that before Collins even played a game.

Hell, while Collins has been injured, Underwood did a spectacular job, and I'd take him before Sharper too.

And Bengals lead their division, and have a great offense. Who we play is not important. Bad teams put yards up on us last year too...

fuey said:
What a load of ********.

Teams aren't going for big plays against the Packers because they don't need to. I hope you realise how dumb that sounds... :thumbsdown:

Well big shot... think about it, or can you only shoot people down and ramble about your packer fantasies..

As a team... why would you take unnessesary risks, that could give the packers the confidence and jump they NEED to win. The Packers are at their lowest point at the moment and with the talent you have at the moment playing solid no turnover football against you is the best bet... in my eyes anyway.

Vick fumbles it 3 times... you win. If they play ball-control football... no risks.. they beat you easy.

Maybe it is as dumb as it sounds... but I dont think so and Im certainly not worried about your opinion, mr 'Collins is better than Sharper'. Sharper's speed and instinct looks fine to me... its easy for you to ramble on about the future and upside of Collins but looking at the facts... Sharper is the proven solid performer... oh opps... sorry, he is the reason for every mistake in the packers defence last year, my bad! Not Carroll ?!

hahahaha

take care!!

Please...

There's the same amount of risk in every single play that is used... whether it's a pass or a run. Running the ball isn't any less risky, it just eats the clock up to give the other offense less chance to score.

The big question is though...

What is with your love for Darren Sharper? He played most of career for a team you obviously dislike, so why would you watch so many Packer games to form such a high opinon of him? Or do you just see the highlights?

I'm really having trouble understanding why you'd start a bait thread in his honour...

And no, he wasn't the only problem with the Defense last season... biggest problem was we couldn't tackle... which he was DEFINITELY a part of. Not great when your Safties can't tackle, give up a lot of big plays that way...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fuey said:
There's the same amount of risk in every single play that is used... whether it's a pass or a run. Running the ball isn't any less risky, it just eats the clock up to give the other offense less chance to score.

What the!!?

I'll take my bat & ball and go home with this win I think. haha

fuey said:
You're telling me running the ball has no risk?

Don't matter much, but I should've said "the only advantage to running the ball is it eat's the clock".

And again, what's with the worship of Sharper?

(Looks around)... I didnt say there was no risk in running the ball.

Someone suggested there was the same risk in running and passing. For a starters to run it you exchange and carry.... to pass you have to drop back avoid the rush, find a receiver, get it to that receiver... then carry. hmmm... I duno

no worship of Sharper here... I used to hate him like nothing else as a packer, as I dislike all things Packers. But I just get a MASSIVE kick out of people who turn on the old players who im CERTAIN you would have worshiped when he was a packer. Its just really really amusing. I dont doubt this because you praise even the B... hang on C-grade players you currently have. hehe

and yes I did bait you into this thread :p

Risk of turnovers.

Passing play-Bad snap, Sack/fumble, Interception, fumble on being tackled.

Running plays- Bad snap, bad exchange, RB runnning into OL*, fumble on being tackled.

Same amount of things could happen on each play to lose the ball = equal risk on running/passing plays.

*ok it's a stretch, but it has, and does happen.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're CERTAIN I worshipped him?

I'm sorry do you know me? Pretty sure you don't, so please do not judge me. To me, it is the ultimate insult.

Anyway, like him as a player yes, though he was no Butler. But as soon as he turned his back on the team... good riddance.

Two more questions for you...

Would you pay a Safety $6M?
What are your thoughts on Alvin Harper?

The saga continues.

I cant compose myself enough to keep going considering you still think there is equal risk between a run and a pass. Glad you dont work in risk management or insurance thats all I can say, haha. (Its surprising teams dont throw more often when they have the lead... like you'd get more yards, and the clock would keep running when you caught it - same risk remember)

Its funny how things got so far off track.

Sharper deserved the dollars... you couldnt fit him... and im sure he didnt want to play for peanuts on a team on the decline. So he went... I dont think it was overly personal. Heck its what the leauge is all about, I dont really like it either.

See ya big boy!

As a very keen Packers fan, I always liked Sharper as a player. A damn shame he went to the enemy, Minnesota!

Bad News for Vikings

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/617439.html

Vikings receiver Koren Robinson jailed on DWI, other charges

MANKATO -- Vikings wide receiver Koren Robinson is in the Nicollet County jail in southern Minnesota today, and he is accused of a long list of crimes starting with driving drunk, the county sheriff said.
Along with drunken driving, Robinson is accused of fleeing police, reckless driving, speeding and driving without a valid license, said Sheriff Dave Lange.

St. Peter police officers spotted Robinson speeding on the north side of town, police chief Matt Peters said this morning.

At a news conference late this morning, Vikings head coach Brad Childress said, “Obviously we had an incident last night that was unfortunate.

"I couldn't be more disappointed than for him, than this football team and for this community than to have this happen.

"One of the mandates from the Wilf family is that this ship is run right. I'm trying to create a culture of accountability. You can't be driving when you've been drinking.

"I have sketchy details about (what happened). I'm disappointed but with the same idea that we need to move on."

Minneapolis-based lawyer Joe Tamburino is representing Robinson. Tamburino said he expected a court hearing at 2 or 2:30 p.m. today. He had no other comments about the case.

According to a St. Peter Police report released this morning, at about 10:45 p.m. Tuesday officers clocked a blue, four-door BMW sedan traveling in excess of 100 miles per hour heading south on Hwy. 169.

Police officers gave chase but were unable to keep up with the car and radioed ahead to Mankato police for help, the report said.

Mankato police, Blue Earth County Sheriff's deputies, and North Mankato police eventually got the car to stop in Mankato, which is about 13 miles from St. Peter.

Koren Lynard Robinson was arrested without incident and his car was towed away.

Robinson was brought into the jail by St. Peter police, Lange said.

Robinson, who has not yet been formally charged, remains in jail this morning and will have his first court appearance this afternoon, Peters said.

The Nicollet County attorneys office will handle case, he said.

As of 10:45 a.m. today, no charges had been filed because the paperwork had not yet come from the county attorney's office, a spokesman for the court administrator's office said.

Robinson, 26, who is in his second season with the Vikings, reportedly was returning to training camp at Minnesota State University in Mankato.

Childress said this morning, “When you have 24 hours off it's hard to (keep track of everyone). Somebody's going to step over the line. I have no tolerance for that. And these guys understand that in no uncertain terms.

“He's going to be subject to the laws of this state and whatever the NFL deems fit. I think it'll all play itself out.

“I thought he was in a good place when he came to training camp. But I guess what you realize, if this is in fact true, is that what a demon it must be. I saw no indications -- he was having a great training camp -- but obviously it was too strong an influence.

“There's not a rush to replace (him) or anything like that.

“We need to let the legal system run its course and the NFL run its course. I need to get all the facts. I don't know why we'd want to knee-jerk."

Childress said that if he could talk to Robinson, "I'd tell him how disappointed -- you know what? He would know that. I'm sorry for him and his family. I'm sorry for this football team. And I'm sorry for this community.

"People need second chances. I'm not going to judge him or this thing until I have all the pieces that I can have.

"We talk about accountability. Accountable to the team. Accountable to each other. It's pretty straight-forward.

"You have to deal with it and move on. It's no different than somebody being injured. If he's ruled out, he's ruled out. We'll deal with it and move on."

Last month, the Vikings’ No. 1 receiver denied website allegations that he had had a sobriety relapse and said he was not in a rehab facility in South Carolina. Instead, he said he was taking “prevention classes.”

Robinson, 26, signed with the Vikings as a free agent last September after being released by Seattle in June following well-documented alcohol problems he had during his four seasons with the Seahawks. Seattle decided to part ways with Robinson after his arrest for drunken driving in May 2005.

In 2004, Robinson had been suspended for four games after violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy. Seattle added on two more games for missing team meetings. The league’s action meant Robinson’s next positive test would lead to a one-year suspension.

Before joining the Vikings as a free agent last September, Robinson had gone through an alcohol treatment program. He had no off-the-field problems with the Vikings and made the NFC Pro Bowl team as a kick returner. Robinson also caught 22 passes for 347 yards and a touchdown.

A free agent, he was rewarded in March with a three-year contract that includes $5.5 million in guaranteed bonuses

Troy Williamson (Vikings) getting serious

Saw this quote on the Vikins Scout website and just had to post it

QUOTE TO NOTE: “I’ve caught 13,000 balls in the three months since I’ve been back from Nike. (Receivers coach George Stewart) keeps track of all that stuff, and the other day he asked me how many balls I thought I had caught since Nike. I was going to say about 1,500. But it was 13,000. That’s a lot. But I’m a professional. I want to conduct myself as a professional by taking this thing seriously.” — Vikings receiver Troy Williamson, who spent two days being evaluated by a Nike vision consultant and found his right eye is weaker than his left.

I'm not sure how many balls WRs normally catch before training offically starts but 13,000 sounds like a lot to me. If it was done over 90 days (3 months) it averages out to 144 every day. I sure hope the Vikings have a ball throwing machine, otherwise the quarterbacks are going to be stuffed before the season even starts.

Re: Troy Williamson (Vikings) getting serious

Saw this quote on the Vikins Scout website and just had to post it

QUOTE TO NOTE: “I’ve caught 13,000 balls in the three months since I’ve been back from Nike. (Receivers coach George Stewart) keeps track of all that stuff, and the other day he asked me how many balls I thought I had caught since Nike. I was going to say about 1,500. But it was 13,000. That’s a lot. But I’m a professional. I want to conduct myself as a professional by taking this thing seriously.” — Vikings receiver Troy Williamson, who spent two days being evaluated by a Nike vision consultant and found his right eye is weaker than his left.

I'm not sure how many balls WRs normally catch before training offically starts but 13,000 sounds like a lot to me. If it was done over 90 days (3 months) it averages out to 144 every day. I sure hope the Vikings have a ball throwing machine, otherwise the quarterbacks are going to be stuffed before the season even starts.

Another combine hero gone bust.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back