Teams Minnesota Vikings - Skol Vikings

Remove this Banner Ad

First Everson, now Rhodes and Joseph - big changes coming on the defence for the Vikings. The moves have created ~$20 million in cap space. I doubt they will make a slash in free agency, but you never know....

if the Vikings wanted to there are a bunch of restructures they could make, but all that does is push cap into later years.

Diggs gone.

We get
1st Rnd (currently 22)
5th
6th
2021 4th

we lose Diggs and a 7th round.

interesting to see what we do with all of our picks we have now.

Diggs gone.

We get
1st Rnd (currently 22)
5th
6th
2021 4th

we lose Diggs and a 7th round.

interesting to see what we do with all of our picks we have now.
Spielman being Spielman - loves his draft picks

Spielman being Spielman - loves his draft picks
I'm not un happy with what we got. I also would've been happy to keep him.

Does Theilen become our deep threat and Bisi our short? We still need X factor.

This Draft has a good WR class so I expect us to have a go in the draft but we need 2 WR starters now IMO as well as 2 CB and as always better O line

I'm not un happy with what we got. I also would've been happy to keep him.

Does Theilen become our deep threat and Bisi our short? We still need X factor.

This Draft has a good WR class so I expect us to have a go in the draft but we need 2 WR starters now IMO as well as 2 CB and as always better O line
There are numerous needs for the team - we already needed a slot receiver (Bisi is a good #4 IMO), but now we need a legit starter. We'll have to see how free agency progresses as I would expect the team to want to have no obvious holes coming out of free agency before the draft. And then use the draft to plan for the future - there's not that many draftees who become instant starters, most are developmental prospects at best.

Insights on Weatherly Sven ?
Weatherly has played in a rotational role for the Vikings and stepped up when Everson Griffen had his mental health issues a coupe of seasons ago. He isn't a full time starter, but then again, the Panthers aren't paying him as a full time starter. A very good player IMO and capable of being a very effective player. I can guarantee you that he has been well coached and comes from what was a very deep group at the Vikings (Griffen, Hunter, Weatherly and Odenigbo)

There are numerous needs for the team - we already needed a slot receiver (Bisi is a good #4 IMO), but now we need a legit starter. We'll have to see how free agency progresses as I would expect the team to want to have no obvious holes coming out of free agency before the draft. And then use the draft to plan for the future - there's not that many draftees who become instant starters, most are developmental prospects at best.
I think we go for a vet WR then draft a good young WR with the draft being deep for them.

I am more worried about what we do at CB, even though that was probably our weakest position in 2019

I think we go for a vet WR then draft a good young WR with the draft being deep for them.

I am more worried about what we do at CB, even though that was probably our weakest position in 2019
I agree, I think we could put together a functional passing attack with who we have on the team at the moment: Thielen, Bisi, Beebe??, Rudolph, Irv Smith, and Cook and then supplement that group through the draft and/or with cheaper free agents. The only problem with the free agent approach is that the Vikings have been awful at integrating free agent wide receivers into the team - Michael Floyd, Josh Doctson, Jordan Tayor and Kendall Wright all come to mind.

I'm very interested in what happens in the next couple of days with Mackenzie Alexander because at the moment we have no slot CB. Mike Hughes and Holton Hill are probably only a minor downgrade from Rhodes/Waynes performance last season. The other big problem with the CB corps is depth, and I can see it being a priority in the draft.

I agree, I think we could put together a functional passing attack with who we have on the team at the moment: Thielen, Bisi, Beebe??, Rudolph, Irv Smith, and Cook and then supplement that group through the draft and/or with cheaper free agents. The only problem with the free agent approach is that the Vikings have been awful at integrating free agent wide receivers into the team - Michael Floyd, Josh Doctson, Jordan Tayor and Kendall Wright all come to mind.

I'm very interested in what happens in the next couple of days with Mackenzie Alexander because at the moment we have no slot CB. Mike Hughes and Holton Hill are probably only a minor downgrade from Rhodes/Waynes performance last season. The other big problem with the CB corps is depth, and I can see it being a priority in the draft.
Hughes longevity really worries me.

I think we will trade Harris for a 3rd this year so we can trade up.

Rick must have a plan for covering these positions. Our defense was the difference between a div title last year. so many 3rd and long situations given up at the end of games.

Look out for my favorite wrs from last year -- davion davis and olibisi johnson

I completely agree and can see the Vikings developing what they've already got instead of trying too many free agents.

With Bisi it's just a question of how much more improvement there is in his game (ie what's his ceiling) - he definitely impressed last season. With Davis it's more a question of whether he'll develop into an NFL player.

I completely agree and can see the Vikings developing what they've already got instead of trying too many free agents.

With Bisi it's just a question of how much more improvement there is in his game (ie what's his ceiling) - he definitely impressed last season. With Davis it's more a question of whether he'll develop into an NFL player.
Johnson is a clean route runner, good hands. Redone and 3rd down threat. Davis imo is a superstar potentially, just needs more development. Extremely explosive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnson is a clean route runner, good hands. Redone and 3rd down threat. Davis imo is a superstar potentially, just needs more development. Extremely explosive.
I can see the Vikings continue to use heavy packages next season and only use 2WRs rather than 3 on most plays. The strength of the Vikings is with the RBs (including FB Hamm) and the TEs. Thielen becomes the deep threat and runs shorter routes on 3rd down. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Vikings took a speedster in the draft though

Vikings selected TCU CB Jeff Gladney with the No. 31 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.
A four-year starter at TCU, Gladney (5’10/191) earned second-team All-Big 12 honors in 2018 after allowing an elite 4.7 yards per target before taking a step back in his final season (7.2 yards per target) as a perceived one-year wonder. An instinctual player with plus athleticism — according to the Horned Frogs' training staff, Gladney squats 620 pounds, benches 400, and hang cleans 400-plus — he made a career in shadowing a majority of the nation's top wideouts as one of only two FBS players with at least 15 passes defended in each of the last two seasons. Still, the red flags are there: He'll be 23 on draft night, tore his ACL and LCL in his senior year of high school, underwent meniscus surgery this past offseason, and was scratched from the 2020 Senior Bowl due to a sore knee. He also disappointed at Indy's combine, running a 4.48 40 (he clocked at 4.34 last offseason) and sluggish 7.26 three-cone (13th-percentile) in front of league execs. Gladney may be forced into a sub-package role at the next level given his size, but he has the tracking skills and traits to eventually man the perimeter as a No. 2.
Apr 24, 2020, 12:05 AM ET

Vikings selected LSU WR Justin Jefferson with the No. 22 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.
A two-year starting slot receiver at LSU, Jefferson (6’1/202) set the school record for receptions (111) as a junior in the most prolific passing offense in college football history. He wins with nuanced route running, steady hands, straigh-tline speed (4.41), and 6.4 YAC per reception. Per Pro Football Focus, Jefferson accumulated 41 percent of his 2019 yardage (1,540) from ins, outs, and crosses, which are fortunately the routes he’ll likely see most often with the Vikings. He also ranked second to Jerry Jeudy in 15-plus yard catches the past two seasons. Jefferson can be a reliable target in any role as a rookie since he ran 19 percent of his routes from the slot in '18 before seeing an increase to 78 percent during the team's National Championship run. He's a high-floor, high-ceiling WR3/4 in Minnesota since the opportunity is ripe for an every-down role across from Adam Thielen. The Vikings will still utilize a heavy dose of 12 personnel featuring Kyle Rudolph and Irv Smith, too.
Apr 23, 2020, 10:52 PM ET

Early thoughts are it's definitely an entertaining schedule, lots of teams coming off interesting off seasons.

Hosting the Packers in Week 1 for the first time in franchise history.

Last edited:
Vikings signed coach Mike Zimmer to a multi-year extension.
The particulars of the deal aren't known, but Zimmer was set to enter the final year of his deal prior to the extension. It keeps Zimmer out of lame-duck status. Zimmer, 64, is actually the league's eighth-longest tenured coach, as he heads into his seventh season atop the helm in Minnesota. Zimmer is 57-38-1 with a 2-3 postseason record. He likely needs to start winning some playoff games if he's going to stick around for a decade in Minnesota, but Zimmer is undoubtedly one of the more solid coaches in the sport.
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Jul 22, 2020, 3:13 PM ET

Really cool video of the Vikings' virtual draft. Includes the pre draft, practice draft and then the highlights from each day of the actual draft, including a dropped call to a player they were about to draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back