Injury Minor knee Surgery for Lachie Henderson-timeframe TBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Perfect timing if we beat Demons without him.
Probably a meniscal tear which gets trimmed back, some washout, as long as no infection, should be right for the week after final one. Any earlier would be a bonus. And if we happen to win our first final, v Crows, get another week off, perfect.
But if there is joint surface damage (articular cartilage), could be longer.
It clearly had to be done, yet they called it minor, so every reason for optimism.

If he is unable to return this is a HUGE loss. Bigger than if Taylor were out.

A loss that could be material enough to go from potential flag winner to zero chance.

Smith and hawkins are more important IMO. Sure hendo is in our top 5-6 on current performance but we have 2 A grade kpds, a good young one in kolo,probably our best small defender ever in enright and mackie an play tall or small well. The defence can cover,it makes it harder to win the flag but still doable.

Whereas if smith got injured vardy is injured and even if he wasnt is nowhere near as good a player as smith. If hawkins were out i am unsure if clark could carry the forward line straight away after 12 mths out and stanley is a decent second banana but unlikely to cope well as a main focal point.

So if either of those two get injured the year is in much more trouble.

Hendo might be back for the first final anyway.

Perfect timing if we beat Demons without him.
Probably a meniscal tear which gets trimmed back, some washout, as long as no infection, should be right for the week after final one. Any earlier would be a bonus. And if we happen to win our first final, v Crows, get another week off, perfect.
But if there is joint surface damage (articular cartilage), could be longer.
It clearly had to be done, yet they called it minor, so every reason for optimism.

How commonly do players get back in under 4 weeks with these kind of arthroscopes?

How commonly do players get back in under 4 weeks with these kind of arthroscopes?
Usually done post season.
If they have decided to do it now, it means it had to be done, and they are happy with the timing of it. The daily treatment and "pampering" these guys get could make <4 weeks a reality.
Depends on whether the scope reveals more or worse than the MRI.

Usually done post season.
If they have decided to do it now, it means it had to be done, and they are happy with the timing of it. The daily treatment and "pampering" these guys get could make <4 weeks a reality.
Depends on whether the scope reveals more or worse than the MRI.

I suppose we just hope for good news next week re what the surgery showed. Thanks for the info mate.

Steve Johnson had the same surgery on March 26, 2013 and was back in the seniors on April 10.

That gives me hope Lachie may be available for the QF.
SJ also had a Lazarus like recovery for the 2011 GF.
He may be super-human.

A scope is the good news. Unabated, the procedure can be seen to have patient back in 2-3 weeks - even earlier if all goes well.

The club IMO felt that with the bye and the demons game that 20 days rest could be enough to get him back.. Best case sounds reasonable.

The issue now is to ensure that it's fixed and this the floaters and little knicks in cartilage are gone.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arthroscope just refers to the type of surgery, not the specifics of what he had done.

Comparing his surgery by saying 'I had an arthroscope and was running again in 2 weeks' tells us about as much as me saying I had Mexican for dinner..

All we can do is hope for the best, hopefully with the bye post r23, or if we can win the qual final and get another week off he might get back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arthroscope just refers to the type of surgery, not the specifics of what he had done.

Comparing his surgery by saying 'I had an arthroscope and was running again in 2 weeks' tells us about as much as me saying I had Mexican for dinner..

All we can do is hope for the best, hopefully with the bye post r23, or if we can win the qual final and get another week off he might get back

Well the reason I mentioned it's because mine was a meniscus obviously I'm not a professional athlete merely recognized the surgery and made me think of mine.

Settle down bud

Well it does tell you it was minor and that there is a quicker surgical recovery time because the procedure was far less invasive.

True that it does not tell the exact nature of injury....would assume something like meniscus, for which recovery can be within 2 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

So is this surgery due to an injury sustained during the Brisbane game or has he been carrying it, surely if its been around a couple of weeks the club could have done it before the Brisbane game to allow another week of recovery....something seems a bit suss to me, have a real bad feeling he might be done for the year which would be a massive blow..

Minor surgery, which immediately makes me think Arthriscopic surgery, which again makes me think something non structural like a scrape or a flush of the joint.
Good move by Geelong if this is the case, as he'll have almost three weeks before he needs to take the ground again.
If the bye wasn't coming up, I doubt he would have had the surgery and played in the finals with a niggle, so I'm optimistic and confident Geelong know what they are doing

Why is everyone assuming we will be playing a qualifying final? Melbourne are a chance to roll us on Saturday which would have us finishing 5th if GWS beat North..
I'll give you a tip....West Toast will beat the Camrys this week, and we'll be playing the Hawks at the G in week 1.

Remember I told you first...

Here we go

54518044.jpg
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-23/injury-puts-key-cat-in-doubt-for-finals

Henderson hurt his knee in the final quarter of the game against the Brisbane Lions, with scans on Monday revealing damage that required an arthroscopy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back