Minor Premier Recognition

Remove this Banner Ad

Until we have a balanced season it's a compromised award.

Just as the Premiership itself is. If you went back to the VFL days you would find that 95% of the time the best side in the comp won the Premiership.
In the modern AFL with the fixture, travel etc I don’t believe we can now say 95% of the time the best side in the comp wins the premiership.
If finishing top is compromised then surely winning the flag is also.

Under the old final five system, the minor premier earned a week's break as well as a double chance, with the opportunity to enter the GF after only one final.

With eight finalists and a vastly different playoff system, it means less than it used to. Hawthorn, Richmond, North, Dogs, Adelaide, Brisbane, St.Kilda & Fitzroy won most or all of their flags without taking the minor premiership. Not in favour of ascribing any more prestige to it than is done currently (i.e. McClelland Trophy).

Minor Premiership should be renamed:
Poll Position, for the real stuff.

I don't believe clubs themselves are that focused on finishing 1st, Clarko has said on many occasions their aim is a top 4 finish.

Bris (urguably one of the greatest teams ever) during their 3 peat never finished on top:
Ess - 2001
Bris 2nd

Port - 02
Bris - 2nd

Port - 03
Bris - 3rd

Better than this I reckon all clubs should be given a large real wooden spoon for all past and future last finishes and forced to display it publicly in their club rooms. Even if a bit left field of an idea, it would be a great incentive to discourage tanking.
Not sure St Kilda would have a big enough room to display all theirs

Under the old final five system, the minor premier earned a week's break as well as a double chance, with the opportunity to enter the GF after only one final.

With eight finalists and a vastly different playoff system, it means less than it used to. Hawthorn, Richmond, North, Dogs, Adelaide, Brisbane, St.Kilda & Fitzroy won most or all of their flags without taking the minor premiership. Not in favour of ascribing any more prestige to it than is done currently (i.e. McClelland Trophy).
Might as well do away with the McTrophy altogether then because it is insignificant and has no historical relevance to what it currently signifies. By bringing all the minor premiers together into one award you immediately give it more significance without ascribing it any sort of prestige. It just makes more sense to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anything the minor premiership is overrvalued

The minor premiership is just that...a minor detail

Remove this Banner Ad

Back