Minor things that annoy you about the game

Remove this Banner Ad

'AFL/VFL'

'VFL/AFL'

Just say AFL.
Except that AFL means a lot these days:
- the name of the unique Australian football code (Australian football)
- the governing body of the sport across the country (and found at the header of almost all leagues these days)
- the 'national competition' itself since the rebadge in 1990
- the breakaway league that was formed in Victoria in 1897

When "AFL" is used regularly for all of the four very different structures above, it makes sense that you need to expand.

Except that AFL means a lot these days:
- the name of the unique Australian football code (Australian football)
- the governing body of the sport across the country (and found at the header of almost all leagues these days)
- the 'national competition' itself since the rebadge in 1990
- the breakaway league that was formed in Victoria in 1897

When "AFL" is used regularly for all of the four very different structures above, it makes sense that you need to expand.

In the context they mean the league itself. We don't need to be reminded it had a different name decades ago.

would have been said 100 times here but I'll make it 101. Can't stand the ******* holding the ball interpretation. campaigners get pinged when they have no chance, others they do ******* 360's and throw it yet nothing.

Dumb * umps surely got money on the line.

D grade quality Commentators , we don't have one decent commentator. Hudson is probably the best

Media trying to influence all forms of the game with their ridiculous articles/statements like Ralphy with his "tribunal" predictions during half time

Just a couple of things.

1. Why is it that I can purchase heavy beer at twilight games in the bar on level 2, but I cant take it outside to my seat. I can order four heavy beers and neck them one after the other in front of the bar staff and walk out to my seat. This rule make no sense.

2. What is with the 20 minute wait rule in the MCG carpark. I had to leave a game early (5 mins to go last qtr) this year. I got in my car and drove to the exit point and was told I couldn't exit onto the road as the barriers had gone up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the rule where it's a ball up if you step on the line during a kick in gives me the shits.

i reckon it should be if you step past the line, rather than on the line. sounds petty, but hear me out.

a fair few players half light coloured boots. from 15m away at eye level (umpires line of sight), it can be hard to tell if they've stepped on the line or not. see image below.

boots.png

much easier to tell if someone's stepped past a line rather than on it. definitely a minor thing, but considering the two outcomes are vastly different in terms of the outcome of the direction of play, it's something that needs to be 100% accurate.

I get a little annoyed when I hear people referring to Australian Rules Football as "AFL" these days. For example, you hear people saying, "My 10 year old son plays AFL at school". No he doesn't, he plays Aussie Rules Footy.
I'm just bemused. I'm sure it all started from Sydney with the AFL promoting its brand that way, but there isn't another instance of it anywhere else this side of UFC is there (which at least is a substitute term for another acronym MMA)

Hey going down to the school to practise my NBA? I've started playing Super 15? My daughter has taken up Trans Tasman Trophy?

the rule where it's a ball up if you step on the line during a kick in gives me the shits.

i reckon it should be if you step past the line, rather than on the line. sounds petty, but hear me out.

a fair few players half light coloured boots. from 15m away at eye level (umpires line of sight), it can be hard to tell if they've stepped on the line or not. see image below.

View attachment 271162

much easier to tell if someone's stepped past a line rather than on it. definitely a minor thing, but considering the two outcomes are vastly different in terms of the outcome of the direction of play, it's something that needs to be 100% accurate.
In both cases there's no gap of green between the boot and line. I dunno why players don't repeatedly kick in from 6 inches back behind the line, why risk the stuff up over will often be a marking contest 50m away.

Just a couple of things.

1. Why is it that I can purchase heavy beer at twilight games in the bar on level 2, but I cant take it outside to my seat. I can order four heavy beers and neck them one after the other in front of the bar staff and walk out to my seat. This rule make no sense.

2. What is with the 20 minute wait rule in the MCG carpark. I had to leave a game early (5 mins to go last qtr) this year. I got in my car and drove to the exit point and was told I couldn't exit onto the road as the barriers had gone up.
Would have thought that's obvious, so people don't get run over.

I get a little annoyed when I hear people referring to Australian Rules Football as "AFL" these days. For example, you hear people saying, "My 10 year old son plays AFL at school". No he doesn't, he plays Aussie Rules Footy.
He plays footy or football why is any additional info required? ******* soccer

The supporters. The majority a bunch of ******* morons, to be completely honest. Every game is 'the worst umpired I've ever seen' and very few actually understand the rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back