Minor things that annoy you about the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah!! Because misjudging your alcohol intake and driving is at least as bad as smashing a glass in a females face! Of course it is.
******* hell, you cant be serious.

"misjudging how much you've had"

alternatively called

"getting sloshed and having no regard for the lives of others and getting behind the wheel"

Not saying what Carey did was right, or even close to appropriate (although he does say that he was trying to throw the wine on her and not actually hit her with it), but it simply does not disqualify him from retaining or applying for a job...

"misjudging how much you've had"

alternatively called

"getting sloshed and having no regard for the lives of others and getting behind the wheel"

Not saying what Carey did was right, or even close to appropriate (although he does say that he was trying to throw the wine on her and not actually hit her with it).
Well, of course he would say that. Anyway whatever, he will be a legend and go on with his career no matter what a pleb like me on big footy says about him I guess.
He wins.

No not at all.
However, it is simply because is a campaigner.
Does it have to be more complicated than that?
Idunno, at the end of the day we will both live out or lives and never cross paths.

If being a campaigner disqualified people from jobs, there would be a lot more unemployed people around.

Well, of course he would say that. Anyway whatever, he will be a legend and go on with his career no matter what a pleb like me on big footy says about him I guess.
He wins.

He wins if you're purely thinking about money power and work.

You win in the fact that you probably havent hit a woman with a wine glass, or screwed your best mates wife.
Sometimes the moral victory is the better one.

Well its not.
It makes him more qualified for the job in that sense....than say someone who never played football.

Ah so now its how much and how easily he's making his money? So its a jealousy thing rather than about his misdemeanors.

Cant disagree with the last line. Someone made a big big error in judgement there, and then really Carey should've declined to present it given his history.

Not about jealousy for me. I'm happy for an ex-football player, who hasn't got Carey's shoddy off field record, to be well paid for commentating.

Last edited:
When a player plays on off their line whilst out of bounds and it isn't called out of bounds immediately by the umpires. Some players run about 5m outside the boundary after the umpire has called play on, should be called on it as soon as they go off their line and thrown in.

When a player plays on off their line whilst out of bounds and it isn't called out of bounds immediately by the umpires. Some players run about 5m outside the boundary after the umpire has called play on, should be called on it as soon as they go off their line and thrown in.

This annoys me alot as well.

Umpires being miked up and hearing their high pitched voices
Umpiring is crucified by the rules committee and it has changed the game almost irreparably.

But who can explain the terror most clubs have, or their coaches have and they are no chance takers when the quickest way to goal is attack and take your chances down the bloody centre.
Instead of boundary bullshit, throw ins that create packs of 6 to 10 or 12 or more players scrounging around for the ball like British bulldog.The experts have named it stoppages, that is not football. It happens in centre bounces when scrumming and scrounging and grass wrestling happens, at times five or six bounces or ball ups before a team gets out of the centre, or the ump picks some s**t out for a free.
I won,t rave anymore but I will say this, we,ve lost our game of Australian Rules, it is not Aussie football anymore it’s been corporatised into bullshit like the modern music marketeering industry that has been mutilated into noise brain washing , with no depth in it . Thats what the market sells to kids these days , and the AFL has mutilated footy, in the same way, sure there are great parts ,but the s**t outweighs the good 3 to 1 and true Aussie football people have no where else to go, so you hang in because your team ,if your a Vic especially is your culture and your life. The scum in admin in the AFL give not a damn folks. Not a damn. Only money counts.

The banner... some teams have a split in the middle for the players to run through. It looks so stupid, like they are exiting a tent. How hard to have some paper to run through?

I wouldn't have invented the banner, but someone did and now it is part of the culture and heritage of our game and should be respected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MRP inconsistency. I didn't want to see Burton suspended, but Ziebell copped two 4 week suspensions for similar but lesser incidents, one of the suspensions was for a fair bump to the chest and the Carlton player got hurt hitting the turf, the AFL for years had zero tolerance for people who bump that cause head damage. If the head is sacrosanct you can't flip flop on these rules.

Mitchell's behind the play elbow I think was worse than Graham's because it was behind play, not in play, even though there was less force, you can't just decide to elbow someone in the head who is jogging back to the centre square.

By contrast, Sicily's "stamp" seemed pretty minor, what is the damage, a scratch? rubber burn? You line up three incidents in terms of risk and potential to do damage and Sicily is the one who gets suspended? What is going on?

It just seems crazy, they will hit someone for 3-4 weeks later on the year for something similar to Burton, they wont have any consistency with this interpretation.

The banner... some teams have a split in the middle for the players to run through. It looks so stupid, like they are exiting a tent. How hard to have some paper to run through?

I wouldn't have invented the banner, but someone did and now it is part of the culture and heritage of our game and should be respected.
Do any teams have crepe paper banners anymore?

Do any teams have crepe paper banners anymore?

I don't know what they use.. it looked like paper when the pies were fixing their spelling error 2 weeks ago.

Some teams lift the banner up and walk under... but the door flap looks silly.

i’m guessing it’s been brought up already but just the sheer volume of free kicks annoys to the point that most games are unwatchable.

picture this...
Adelaide vs Rich GF again. Crows burst free from the middle, kick to a one on one. Tex Walker vs Alex Rance... the best defender vs one of the best forwards.

the kick favours neither, they’re both trying to outmuscle the other.

the result i want to see...
Tex fends him off, takes a great mark and sinks the goal.

the result Tigers want to see.
Rance brings the ball to ground, disposes of it cleanly and Rich run the ball out.

the result we often see...
both players pushing and shoving equally and a free goes inexplicably one way or another
a defenders hand glances on the shoulder... free kick for high contact
one player touches the other players shirt trying to get a feel for where the opponent is... paid as a hold

i’m guessing it’s been brought up already but just the sheer volume of free kicks annoys to the point that most games are unwatchable.

picture this...
Adelaide vs Rich GF again. Crows burst free from the middle, kick to a one on one. Tex Walker vs Alex Rance... the best defender vs one of the best forwards.

the kick favours neither, they’re both trying to outmuscle the other.

the result i want to see...
Tex fends him off, takes a great mark and sinks the goal.

the result Tigers want to see.
Rance brings the ball to ground, disposes of it cleanly and Rich run the ball out.

the result we often see...
both players pushing and shoving equally and a free goes inexplicably one way or another
a defenders hand glances on the shoulder... free kick for high contact
one player touches the other players shirt trying to get a feel for where the opponent is... paid as a hold

It is a bit of a mess imo....

There have been too many soft frees this year in marking contests...

but they have not paid enough for hands in the back. Some defenders play the percentages and just do it repeatedly.

IMO there have been too few HTB and too few calls for throwing the ball/illegal disposal... again some teams play the percentages.

MRP inconsistency. I didn't want to see Burton suspended, but Ziebell copped two 4 week suspensions for similar but lesser incidents, one of the suspensions was for a fair bump to the chest and the Carlton player got hurt hitting the turf, the AFL for years had zero tolerance for people who bump that cause head damage. If the head is sacrosanct you can't flip flop on these rules.

Mitchell's behind the play elbow I think was worse than Graham's because it was behind play, not in play, even though there was less force, you can't just decide to elbow someone in the head who is jogging back to the centre square.

By contrast, Sicily's "stamp" seemed pretty minor, what is the damage, a scratch? rubber burn? You line up three incidents in terms of risk and potential to do damage and Sicily is the one who gets suspended? What is going on?

It just seems crazy, they will hit someone for 3-4 weeks later on the year for something similar to Burton, they wont have any consistency with this interpretation.[/QUOTE

The inconsistencies are literally unbelievable, there are other words to describe the inconsistent rulings on and off the field whether free kicks of whether reports or on camera offences.
Just a pure word in english without going into mind raving furious description, there are far far far too many bad decisions in what was the simplest , yet most unique foot on field sport ever invented, and it was Marngrook blended with a little rugby when Tom Wills was about, it is such a traditional original game, that we need to give the AFL a lesson in who owns this sport.

They have changed it for the dollar.

So to say unbelievable is really the only word, because it is unbelievable and tin tacky guess work, to the point that every week we see the changes interpreted differently on many occasions throughout EVERY game every week. Pedantic over adjudicated stuff, that changes games.

And I will brag a bit, I said this maybe five or six years ago here, that umpires were starting to change results , not deliberately but just by pedantic decisions in free kicks where no one knew what it was for, now its worse. Most are debatable .
Now frees have always been debatable , and ump bashing was fun, and the umps would have a beer with the players after the game sometimes.

Another thing I have said, the AFL thinking the young kids accept this new game and rules, well I have three boys all Hawthorn nuts , the ages 40, 28 and 26 and they are as frustrated and pee'd off as I am , most of a game either being there , or watching on TV, is like 2 hours of frustrating madness and anger.
The eldest has followed footy from the eighties the other two were involved and members too in the 90's and 2000's at the beginning , and none of them think the game is OK at the moment , only parts of the game, I said and believe that about ONE THIRD of the game is decent to watch , dozens of ball ups and scrambles on the floor in the grass, a pack of 6 to 10 blokes OR MORE, scrounging around , and the lower non-precision clubs do it and cannot compete with the good clubs that develop their skills.
Maybe its why Hawthorn and a couple of others stay in touch with the level, because the standard has dropped, and you only have to make sure your recruits not only learn the structure of where to go and what to do , but also practice like hell for precision ground kicking, handball that hits the target , and maybe this throwing that I thought was being stopped has crept back in and I saw a couple of dozen throws in the 3 or so games I watched this weekend, and it is an unskilled blight on the game. Goal kicking for 60% of elite footballers is disgraceful.

Me saying all this again, is because, it has come to pass!
Umpires locked into heavy heavy pedantic following of the newer rules, to the point of total non understanding of the feel and spirit of the Australian game!
It is getting very close to being unfollowable, and I 've loved this all my life this game and culture.
Its here in WA and SA , Tassie all over , NT and QLD too .
But for 40 years I learnt it and loved it in my home Melbourne, and now it feels like it is being hijacked HAS FOR SOME YEARS IN REALITY.
I know some of the old rough games and punch ups were bad, but later the eighties , 90's and early 2000's were dynamite. Although Roos did his best to invent lock down footy, and ruin the look of the game. Only sensible thing Demetriou ever said correctly.
Roos played brought that scrounge game, win at all costs, to the sport and began some of the rugby like ruining.
I like NRL but they play it properly its their game , Aussie footy is a different animal.
What I say on big footy probably gets ignored , but football in Australian is much much more than a game , let me tell you! WHERE THE HELL HAS IT GONE!

Im sure it’s already been mentioned, but commentators calling players by their nickname or first name only shits me to tears and is only happening more and more. Buddy, Roughy, Cyril, Danger, Dusty, Tex, the Bont, Majak etc. You’re not mates of theirs and you’re supposed to be professional commentators - call them by their surnames FFS.

Im sure it’s already been mentioned, but commentators calling players by their nickname or first name only shits me to tears and is only happening more and more. Buddy, Roughy, Cyril, Danger, Dusty, Tex, the Bont, Majak etc. You’re not mates of theirs and you’re supposed to be professional commentators - call them by their surnames FFS.

Stevie J was the worst

Remove this Banner Ad

Back