Inferno

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2006
Tramland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets
There's plenty of major issues with the game - ticket/food/drink prices, booing, racism, anything Essendon related, general buffoonery from AFL HQ, the media etc..

But what about the small things which border on the pedantic which give you the shits?

A couple I can think of for me:
  • The AFL logos on players numbers in a lame attempt to emulate the EPL.
  • Crap team logos when old ones were perfectly good - Annoys me about Geelong but Adelaide and Brisbane are just as, if not more, guilty.
  • Sound effects after goals. GC's trumpets and Geelong's rabid alley cat noise are particularly bad.
  • Commentators insistence on using the term 'fisting'. I think we have different ideas about what fisting is :drunk:
  • Count down clocks. Count up clocks are infitinitely better and more exciting.

Last edited:

The goal review system gives me the absolute shits, especially when they make a decision from unseen "additional camera angles".

This is particularly niche but I absolutely hate seeing runners standing around telling players with the ball where to kick it/celebrating with players after a goal. Deliver your instructions and get the hell off the ground.

The countdown to the first bounce. Freo playing the freo chant via speakers to get the crowd going. Fans insisting on bad umpiring when they lose out on 50/50 calls. Unprofessional commentators. The general lack of depth in coverage again by about 50% of experts. The clash jumper issues where no clash your team has to ask the afl to wear your origional jumper. White shorts. Constant rule changes without any long term study nor imput from the 18 clubs. Casual racist fans

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone who can't get to games lives, and only sees games on TV(usually 8* or 9 a week), the things that annoy me are:

Bruce (at times)
Hamish (what have we done to deserve him thrust upon us?)
Basil (oh come on...enough is enough...wtf is Basil good for?)
Tony Shaw (assign him to the Bob Santamaria Yesterday's Man bin...now. Horrible)
Dunstall (obsessing about umpires...all game, every game)

The count up clock in the last quarter, piss it off and count down same on TV more exciting

Should've added that one, but for the opposite reason. Countdown clocks suck and are unsuspenseful, the tension added by the count up clock is far more exciting and not knowing when the match will finish is one of the best and most unique parts of AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back