Minor things that annoy you about the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
The countdown to the first bounce. Freo playing the freo chant via speakers to get the crowd going. Fans insisting on bad umpiring when they lose out on 50/50 calls. Unprofessional commentators. The general lack of depth in coverage again by about 50% of experts. The clash jumper issues where no clash your team has to ask the afl to wear your origional jumper. White shorts. Constant rule changes without any long term study nor imput from the 18 clubs. Casual racist fans
Hawks fans whinging about other teams supporters complaining about umpires, when they get all the 50/50 calls

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
Some clubs celebrate their anniversay IN the quoted year, some the year after.

Fremantle are wearing the 25 jumper for their 25th year... 1995 to 2019. But Perth Demons are wearing a 120 patch celebrating 1899-2019 ie, they completed 120 last year and are now in their 121st season. by that logic Freo should wait for next year.

When I look up other clubs and commemorations there are plenty of examples of both.

Can't we just decide?

(I know it doesn't actually matter - thats why its here)

Some clubs celebrate their anniversay IN the quoted year, some the year after.

Fremantle are wearing the 25 jumper for their 25th year... 1995 to 2019. But Perth Demons are wearing a 120 patch celebrating 1899-2019 ie, they completed 120 last year and are now in their 121st season. by that logic Freo should wait for next year.

When I look up other clubs and commemorations there are plenty of examples of both.

Can't we just decide?

(I know it doesn't actually matter - thats why its here)

It's like the 100th season of the AFL being celebrated in 1996, and 150 years of Australian rules football being marked in 2008

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
It's like the 100th season of the AFL being celebrated in 1996, and 150 years of Australian rules football being marked in 2008

Schools, hospitals etc are evenly split. Things founded in a year ending in zero tend to strongly go for the 11th, 21st, 26th year to celebrate their 10, 20th and 25th anniversaries. ie, start a school in Jan 2000 and then spend all of 2010 telling everyone that this is your tenth year, tenth lot of graduates etc...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really, only touched behinds. Rushed behinds are only counted when a spoil significantly deviates the path of the ball.
... which we'll need a video review system to decide

hoylie

Debutant
Jun 23, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Any opinion based piece of media. Coach and player interviews. Statistical analysis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two things.

1) Ben Brown's run-up
2) The 'Take the extra time to set up for goal' only to pass the ball

They're both loopholes that shouldn't exist. The laws of the game should state that if you take the additional time to go back and kick, you should be committed to that kick. They should also state the maximum distance back from the mark a player can start their run up before it becomes play on.

... which we'll need a video review system to decide
I think he's talking about the bullshit ones where the defender gets a millimeter of skin on the ball but otherwise does nothing to actually affect the ball. As far as I am concerned, if the ball doesn't get moved from its original trajectory the touch shouldn't matter.

I think he's talking about the bullshit ones where the defender gets a millimeter of skin on the ball but otherwise does nothing to actually affect the ball. As far as I am concerned, if the ball doesn't get moved from its original trajectory the touch shouldn't matter.
You'd only be creating a worse problem where the umpires have to decide if the ball moved off the trajectory or not. The current way is a necessary evil once you think it through. You either allow the ball to go through off hands, feet or head, or you have it off a kick only.

morsie

All Australian
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That would be the end of rushed behinds through the goals, wouldn't it?
Partially - if removed for kicks at goal which are forced through or touched off the boot etc.You would still have rushed behinds from other events.It would get rid of these stupid arguments about whether the kick was touched based on third rate video footage.

Back