Minor things that annoy you about the game

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
Umpires telling players not to get involved in a scuffle when their player has the free kick/kick on goal. Just reverse the free kick and make sure you say into the microphone who you’re paying it against. I bet you that will work 100x better in because said player won’t do that again after they get the tap on the shoulder at the next break.

Also when free kicks off the ball are paid. If you’re 100m away from the ball, why do players think they are entitled to touch another player? When the balls in play, by all means do what you can to stop your opponent. But when it’s so far away it makes me irrationally angry to see players give away those free kicks.

JoeHawk

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2008
Templestowe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Umpires telling players not to get involved in a scuffle when their player has the free kick/kick on goal. Just reverse the free kick and make sure you say into the microphone who you’re paying it against. I bet you that will work 100x better in because said player won’t do that again after they get the tap on the shoulder at the next break.

Also when free kicks off the ball are paid. If you’re 100m away from the ball, why do players think they are entitled to touch another player? When the balls in play, by all means do what you can to stop your opponent. But when it’s so far away it makes me irrationally angry to see players give away those free kicks.
Yep. The push and shove seems to have been forgotten about since Rnd 2 Hawks v Bulldogs game.....which were confirmed by AFL to have been correct, which arguably cost us the game. Since then there have countless “incorrect” decisions (or non decisions) made and nothing said. Pathetic AFL.

James Sicily is living proof that this won't happen.

Wargreymon90

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Richmond having to wear their "clash" jumper against the Crows in the GF was so regrettable. It took a little shine off the long awaited joyous flag, at least for a neutral like me.
What’s the solution? Let the clash remain?

Or should Adelaide (the team who finished higher) have worn their clash strip?

hoylie

Debutant
Jun 23, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
"Port Adelaide won 123 to 86 today. The game was a **censored** affair, with many **censored** throughout the afternoon. However, Port's advantage in **censored** told in the end. For the winners, Boak had **censored**, with support from Westhoff, who bobbed up with **censored**. For special comments, here's a retired player."
Player: "**censored**"

I never said I didn’t like reporting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do we have rule changes every flipping year? We need a five year amnesty.

Eight years. Or 4 if they feel something is a blight on the game.

With 22 games per team and the 18 team competition, every team can play every other team (outside of their rival) an even number of times over the span of 8 years. Fremantle , for example, would play West Coast 16 times and every other team 10 - 5 home, 5 away. To put this in perspective over the last 8 seasons Fremantle have played Essendon 10 times, only TWO of those games have been in VIC and both coming in seasons where they played twice.

If Fremantle play Essendon once you better believe it'll be in Perth.

The outlier to this is the Vic teams not having a traditional 'rival' to play every single year. This could go one of 4 ways - Set a rival for each team and lock it in, rotate "rivals" every year, rotate every 4 years or rotate ever 8 years.

If I had to lock it in I would choose -

Carl v Coll
Ess v Rich
Melb v Geel
WB v NM
StK v Haw

Set the rules in line with the 8 year fixture, put the TV rights up every 4/8 years, and away ya go.

Oh, and I would open the season with the Premier unfurling the flag, at home, against the team they beat in the prelim from the year prior. Only exception would be if this takes away from something like ANZAC Day, Good Friday, Queen's BDay etc. Save the GF game for a Thurs/Fri night a couple of weeks into season like this year.

Last edited:

caspian

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
The amount of throwing/incorrect disposal. Would love to see it stamped out. Do it over season's end I reckon, so teams have a few months to sort their s**t out, because otherwise we'd see some crazy free kick counts.

Goomba1973

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Mets
Mark Robinson - Seriously the dude is a pontificating douche squelch with zero charisma
Seriously how did Cameron Ling get a gig in front of a camera? next thing you know Chris Mayne will be the face of Hugo Boss
Freo and WC fans in denial that they are just as bad as each other
Robert Walls inability to say " I was wrong "
No sin bin / red card in footy. Technically you can KO someone then go on to kick 10 goals and win the game
Marvel Stadium - Close the F#$en roof already!!!
expectations of footy players to be role models - FFS they're footy players not pin up boys and girls for every in fashion PC crusade

Stratton_Gun

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 4, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
That punch rule (Sicily one) which apparently was the correct call. Have not seen it paid once since. Thanks AFL

Using football as a vehicle for every cause under the sun. FFS let football be football

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Surely in footy, the number of contested situations is significantly higher than in basketball and thus the ball is in dispute for significantly more time?

This would in turn place greater emphasis on possession as a more meaningful stat than in basketball.

/shrug, I don't know, I could be way off the mark.

Footy goes back to a centre field 50/50 after each goal, basketball like most sports guess the ball to one team after a score.

Basketball for example is a game of efficiency. It's awesome if you can be James Harden and score 40 a game but if it takes you 50 shots then your team will suffer. If Josh Kennedy kicked 6.6 a game he'd be the best player of the era.

Footy has become a high possession game. Not that long ago a midfielder getting 25 touches would mean they had a good game. Defenders and forwards would regularly get 5 or 10. Now in a game of 44 players you can have 20 or more players getting 20 touches. Last night it was 17, Thursday night 12. Disposal stats have lost a lot of meaning, hence a whole raft of new stats have been introduced to try and gauge players by numbers. Metres gained, clearances etc.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't see a clash between Richmond's jumper and the Crows. So the question is redundant for me.

If two opinions, statements, or qualities clash, they are very different from each other

Correct: they don't clash, they're similar.

That GF needed one team to wear an alternate jumper. Otherwise it was predominantly navy with orange/gold vs predominantly black with yellow. All those colours and proportions are similar. Day GF makes it even worse.

This is clearly better
1555134605527.png
than this
1555134545806.png

Can you tell the difference in the second pic? Of course. But it's not clearly differentiated and presents like s**t.

Why are we so behind when it comes to this in the AFL? Two clearly differentiated teams should be the objective of each match-day.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If two opinions, statements, or qualities clash, they are very different from each other

Correct: they don't clash, they're similar.

That GF needed one team to wear an alternate jumper. Otherwise it was predominantly navy with orange/gold vs predominantly black with yellow. All those colours and proportions are similar. Day GF makes it even worse.

This is clearly better View attachment 653666 than this View attachment 653664

Can you tell the difference in the second pic? Of course. But it's not clearly differentiated and presents like s**t.

Why are we so behind when it comes to this in the AFL? Two clearly differentiated teams should be the objective of each match-day.

Two cymbals clash together and they are ******* similar.

Back