Mega Thread Miscellaneous Freo Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure this is the best place for it, so feel free to delete or move......

How on earth do you guys stand living in the west with the pro eagles, anti Freo media agenda? It shits me to tears, and I'm not one of you. I absolutely can't stand the eagles, and it is growing into more and more of a hatred due to the fans, media and the "Subi Effect" at every game.

Watching the news or interviews, and they don't hide how much they hate Freo. Questions to Ross are completely different to those that Simpson gets, even after both teams have won or lost on the same weekend.

I genuinely think that WA media would prefer a freo loss than a wce win because it means they can sink the boot in.

Do you guys have some sort of Eagle Vision equivalent?

We've known this for years.

No there is no equivalent to Eagles Vision, hate when they put it on before a dockers match.

Hopefully with our new facilities there might be something like it put together. Weather 7 will show it or not is a different question.

Never were truer words spoken, Andronicus. I came to footy late but was always going to back Freo (family ties, Freo the underdogs). Became a member after watching one game, but when I told 'friends' their responses were truly obnoxious & I found little joy in the media too.
Mark Duffield (relative of ex-Freo player Paul) and Gerard Healy, who's fair when we're playing well, are the only brightish lights in a dark scene. As for Basil the Super-Flog...words fail. After a fantastic recent Freo win he said to Lyon, "must've taken the gloss off it with Harley's latest behaviour". Happily RTB replied "Not at all, we had a significant win - YOU PILLOCK" (we could see the thought bubble on the last bit).

"Masten Gets the Chop at West Coast" - no Subes so he has to chew on something...?

That will make a nice headline when they delist Lamb.

Though surely they won't be doing that for a while? After all he must be pretty good if they drafted him over Blakely... lol...

Did I miss something:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-20/troubled-docker-still-sees-himself-a-leader

"Johnson hit the headlines last November when he was accused of striking a 23-year-old man who was filming him with his pants down in Leederville after teammate Jonathon Griffin's wedding."

Sounds like the bloke deserved a good beating. And Johnson should sue him for stalking and violation of personal right...

Did I miss something:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-20/troubled-docker-still-sees-himself-a-leader

"Johnson hit the headlines last November when he was accused of striking a 23-year-old man who was filming him with his pants down in Leederville after teammate Jonathon Griffin's wedding."

Sounds like the bloke deserved a good beating. And Johnson should sue him for stalking and violation of personal right...
News never reached Hamburg I guess, it was pretty big here at the time, media jumping on the 'culture' bandwagon any chance they could get, coupling it with the Shane Yarran incidents and Harley Bennell speculation.

Did I miss something:

Except that there's no "right" not to be filmed in a public place, there's no law against public photography, and it's entirely unacceptable to punch someone for filming you.

So no, Johnson could not sue him for anything. The only person with any chance of being sued is Johnson.

News never reached Hamburg I guess, it was pretty big here at the time, media jumping on the 'culture' bandwagon any chance they could get, coupling it with the Shane Yarran incidents and Harley Bennell speculation.
Got that, but never read anything what it was about more then that there was an "incident". Expected something like a drunken nightclub fight...

Except that there's no "right" not to be filmed in a public place, there's no law against public photography, and it's entirely unacceptable to punch someone for filming you.

So no, Johnson could not sue him for anything. The only person with any chance of being sued is Johnson.
So there is the problem. No law against it , so Johnson needed to make that clear himself that he doesn't like it. And who does like it? Exhibitionists perhaps...

Got that, but never read anything what it was about more then that there was an "incident". Expected something like a drunken nightclub fight...

So there is the problem. No law against it , so Johnson needed to make that clear himself that he doesn't like it. And who does like it? Exhibitionists perhaps...

Whether he likes it or not is pretty much irrelevant. You can't punch someone for taking your photograph.

So in regards to this AFL X this offseason. We're most likely going to be in it.

What sort of money are the players going to get?

Do they think clubs will risk their star players?

If Fyfe/Bennell/A Pearce wants to play in it can the club say no? Or will the AFL have a way of stopping clubs just playing their depth or the players they are about to delist?

If we field a team of:
Dawson, Sutty
Suban, D Pearce, Sherro
Ballas, Deluca

Nyhuis, Collins, Cox

And if every other team does the same this comp will bomb out in the first season. Nobody will will watch past the first game or two.

Surely the AFL want the better players playing. But how will they do that. Massive prize money to the top 3 teams? Massive player payments?

Is Ross really going to coach this?

So in regards to this AFL X this offseason. We're most likely going to be in it.

What sort of money are the players going to get?

Do they think clubs will risk their star players?

If Fyfe/Bennell/A Pearce wants to play in it can the club say no? Or will the AFL have a way of stopping clubs just playing their depth or the players they are about to delist?

If we field a team of:
Dawson, Sutty
Suban, D Pearce, Sherro
Ballas, Deluca

Nyhuis, Collins, Cox

And if every other team does the same this comp will bomb out in the first season. Nobody will will watch past the first game or two.

Surely the AFL want the better players playing. But how will they do that. Massive prize money to the top 3 teams? Massive player payments?

Is Ross really going to coach this?

I think it would be quite interesting if clubs had to play a lot of their younger players. It would be a chance to see the future team on display. If it was younger players I imagine alignment clubs would be pissed off as it would take a large number of the normal team.

I think people are misunderstanding the AflX concept, the comp in round 23 seems to be the launch of the sport to everyone. It probably won't look like that in future years, it's to give people an idea what it will be like and get people interested in playing over summer.

I can see WAFL teams fielding a side In This competition, the top 10 or so players in each WAFL team will make the game a lot classier then having 22 below grade players, needing less players could definitely make second tier comps more interesting to view as the skill level is better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people are misunderstanding the AflX concept, the comp in round 23 seems to be the launch of the sport to everyone. It probably won't look like that in future years, it's to give people an idea what it will be like and get people interested in playing over summer.

I can see WAFL teams fielding a side In This competition, the top 10 or so players in each WAFL team will make the game a lot classier then having 22 below grade players, needing less players could definitely make second tier comps more interesting to view as the skill level is better.
I agree is more like indoor or beach soccer , handball where skill is more important than athleticism.

Interesting to see the slogan an Australian telecoms company has decided to go with recently;

SAS.jpg

I wonder if Ross is aware?

Last edited:
Not sure it is worth a separate thread so I'll stick it here.... (mods can move it if you like)

Our forward set-up... I been thinking:

We often go the long bomb to a contest 10-15m out hoping for a rare pack mark or a crumb and snap from one of our small forwards. Obviously we look first for the loose man or leading player, but we do this if there is no other options.

Never seems to work out well, we get rebounded for an opposition score too easily.

Would we be better off - as a tactic - never going to the hot-spot and trying instead for a boundary throw-in in the forward pocket? Basically if there is no other option have one of our forwards lead out to the boundary line and invite the defensive spoil out of bounds. Then set up for the throw-in, either a quick snap on goal if it works our way, but also set up defensively on one side of the ground and protect the corridor if the opposition get it.

Any merit in that you think?

Not sure it is worth a separate thread so I'll stick it here.... (mods can move it if you like)

Our forward set-up... I been thinking:

We often go the long bomb to a contest 10-15m out hoping for a rare pack mark or a crumb and snap from one of our small forwards. Obviously we look first for the loose man or leading player, but we do this if there is no other options.

Never seems to work out well, we get rebounded for an opposition score too easily.

Would we be better off - as a tactic - never going to the hot-spot and trying instead for a boundary throw-in in the forward pocket? Basically if there is no other option have one of our forwards lead out to the boundary line and invite the defensive spoil out of bounds. Then set up for the throw-in, either a quick snap on goal if it works our way, but also set up defensively on one side of the ground and protect the corridor if the opposition get it.

Any merit in that you think?

I think a lot of teams are already doing this but it's the teams that are good at scoring from stoppages, I don't think we are?

I think a lot of teams are already doing this but it's the teams that are good at scoring from stoppages, I don't think we are?

True.

But then - I don't know where to find the stats - I'd guess we would be bottom 4 for most scoring categories: stoppages, defensive rebounds, turnovers.. whatever. I was thinking that having big 211 and some half-decent mids it might be a strength that we could exploit more often.

True.

But then - I don't know where to find the stats - I'd guess we would be bottom 4 for most scoring categories: stoppages, defensive rebounds, turnovers.. whatever. I was thinking that having big 211 and some half-decent mids it might be a strength that we could exploit more often.
A quick look at the stats to the end of round 14.

Least relevant to ladder position

Hitouts: 1st Freo (47.6 per game); 2nd Adelaide (46.2); 3rd Collingwood (45); 17th Richmond (31.1); 18th Melbourne (28.8).

Rebound 50’s: 1st Essendon (43.9); 2nd Brisbane (43.2); 3rd North (41); 5th Freo (39); 17th Port (36.5); 18th Collingwood (35.8).

Moderately relevant to ladder position

Centre clearances: 1st GWS (15.5); 2nd Gold Coast (15.2); 3rd Melbourne (14.8); 6th Freo (13.7); 17th Hawthorn (10.5); 18th Western B’s (10.5).

Clangers: 1st Richmond (58); 2nd Adelaide (57.7); 3rd Brisbane (57.1); 5th Freo (56); 17th West Coast (47.5); 18th Western B’s (47.2).

Most relevant to ladder position

Contested possessions: 1st Adelaide (158.8); 2nd Melbourne (154.9); 3rd Port (150.2); 4th Geelong (149.8); 16th Freo (137.5); 17th Brisbane (134.7); 18th Hawthorn (134.6).

Contested marks: 1st Port (14); =2nd Adelaide (12.8); =2rd West Coast (12.8); 4th Geelong (12.5); =11th Freo (10.5); 17th Hawthorn (8.90); 18th Brisbane (7.5).

Marks inside forward 50: 1st Adelaide (14.8); 2nd Richmond (14); 3rd Melbourne (13.2); 4th Port (13.1); 16th Hawthorn (9.2); 17th Freo (8.8); 18th Brisbane (7.5).

Clearances: 1st GWS (42.2); 2nd Port (39.6); 3rd Adelaide (39.2); 4th Melbourne (39.2); 8th Freo (37.2); 17th Essendon (34.2); 18th Carlton (33.9).

Stoppages: 1st GWS (26.8); 2nd Collingwood (25.8); =3rd Adelaide (25.7); =3rd Port (25.7); 12th Freo (23.5); 17th Gold Coast (21.3); 18th Essendon (21.2).

Last edited:
A quick look at the stats to the end of round 14.

Least relevant to ladder position

Hitouts: 1st Freo (47.6 per game); 2nd Adelaide (46.2); 3rd Collingwood 45); 17th Richmond (31.1); 18th Melbourne (28.8).

Rebound 50’s: 1st Essendon (43.9); 2nd Brisbane (43.2); 3rd North (41); 5th Freo (39); 17th Port (36.5); 18th Collingwood (35.8).

Moderately relevant to ladder position

Centre clearances: 1st GWS (15.5); 2nd Gold Coast (15.2); 3rd Melbourne (14.8); 6th Freo (13.7); 17th Hawthorn (10.5); 18th Western B’s (10.5).

Clangers: 1st Richmond (58); 2nd Adelaide (57.7); 3rd Brisbane (57.1); 5th Freo (56); 17th West Coast (47.5); 18th Western B’s (47.2).

Most relevant to ladder position

Contested possessions: 1st Adelaide (158.8); 2nd Melbourne (154.9); 3rd Port (150.2); 4th Geelong (149.8); 16th Freo (137.5); 17th Brisbane (134.7); 18th Hawthorn (134.6).

Contested marks: 1st Port (14); =2nd Adelaide (12.8); =2rd West Coast (12.8); 4th Geelong (12.5); =11th Freo (10.5); 17th Hawthorn (8.90); 18th Brisbane (7.5).

Marks inside forward 50: 1st Adelaide (14.8); 2nd Richmond (14); 3rd Melbourne (13.2); 4th Port (13.1); 16th Hawthorn (9.2); 17th Freo (8.8); 18th Brisbane (7.5).

Clearances: 1st GWS (42.2); 2nd Port (39.6); 3rd Adelaide (39.2); 4th Melbourne (39.2); 8th Freo (37.2); 17th Essendon (34.2); 18th Carlton (33.9).

Stoppages: 1st GWS (26.8); 2nd Collingwood (25.8); =3rd Adelaide (25.7); =3rd Port (25.7); 12th Freo (23.5); 17th Gold Coast (21.3); 18th Essendon (21.2).

Thanks heaps.

So we are second last for marks inside 50, and below average for contested marks.
We are No. 1 for hitouts and average for clearances. But below average for stoppages and contested possessions.

Not as clear-cut as I was expecting, but maybe there is a pattern there that we could do things a little bit differently to use our strengths and weaknesses to better advantage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back