Mega Thread Miscellaneous Freo Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know is the correct thread to post this... but here goes.

The last few weeks for me have highlighted our lack of skills, and what skills a modern footballer needs:
1. ability to pick up the ball off the deck or below the knees. So many times we get first hands on the ball but it doesn't result in a possession. Not exactly a fumble, just not clean with it, and losing that split-second of time before the tackler comes. not sure if there is a stat called "first touch without possession" but if there was I reckon we'd be at the lower end of the league table for it. So often we pinball the footy around the pack until it ends up in opposition hands and they handle it cleanly.

2. Handpassing in close. AFL standard now is for a handpass of less than 5m, under no physical pressure, to land in the waiting hands of the team-mate. In the hands at waist height. Not below the knees, not above the chest, not half a metre to the left or right of the target. I say under no physical pressure but with a tackler maybe 2-3 steps away. Got to get the ball out cleanly to the outside, it is all about being that split-second or second ahead of the pressure. Good teams do it. If you can't do this say 9 times out of 10 you are not AFL standard.

3. Kicking. Ability to kick to advantage of a leading target. Enough has been said about this.

I am not sure Ross's philosophy of leaving skills up the players themselves is going to cut it.

Anyone know why Cam Mc didn't play WAFL this week when he was named to?
Zac Dawson (unavailable, in Melbourne) and Cam McCarthy (corked glute), who is not eligible to play finals, did not line up from the side named, but Dawson is expected to play next weekend when the teams clash again.

Michael Prior on 720 am this morning said the fitness team wouldn't play Harley at Etihad if they thought it increased the risk.
Said the review of last 2 weeks was intense and detailed,identified "some very heavy learnings."
Things such as organisation behind the ball,body work and positioning.Showed Richmond's defensive work especially Rance to our defenders.He's the defensive line coach so didn't discuss mids or forwards.
Identified Essendon's forwards as real danger,especially Daniher.Cannot allow him to simply launch at the ball all day.
Said he had a soft spot for the Eagles and wanted to see them do well!
Sack him NOW!!

Yeo still admits to being a mad freo supporter when he was growing up, so I also agree that WC should sack him immediately, and let him come to his dream club and he can bring his mate McGovern if he likes.

Last edited:
Made the mistake of replying to a whinge on a Perth Have a Whinge page.

Fans still sooking over the kid having the high five turned down. I tried to add some commonsense.

What do you expect from players during a match in a professional environment.

Made the mistake of replying to a whinge on a Perth Have a Whinge page.

Fans still sooking over the kid having the high five turned down. I tried to add some commonsense.

What do you expect from players during a match in a professional environment.

Just remind the Eagles supporters how their players snubbed the kids who give out the premiership medals back in 06.

They also refused to meet and greet the fans at their official GF victory parade at Subiaco Oval due still being drunk and off their heads on the Sunday afternoon. They kept the fans waiting for 3 hours in the sun until they eventually turned up on stage hiding behind dark sunglasses. They were then introduced to the crowd before they walked off stage leaving many fans outraged and disgusted.

Some in the media branded them "arrogant toss bags" after that debacle.

Just remind the Eagles supporters how their players snubbed the kids who give out the premiership medals back in 06.

They also refused to meet and greet the fans at their official GF victory parade at Subiaco Oval due still being drunk and off their heads on the Sunday afternoon. They kept the fans waiting for 3 hours in the sun until they eventually turned up on stage hiding behind dark sunglasses. They were then introduced to the crowd before they walked off stage leaving many fans outraged and disgusted.

Some in the media branded them "arrogant toss bags" after that debacle.
Yup......the majority of that eagles team did honestly think they were rock stars......toooo many narcissistic flogs in that side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did we get shafted in our draw? Our double ups where
Geelong: Top 2
Richmond: Top 4
Eagles: Top 8 and now top 6
Essendon:Top 8
North: Bottom 4

Going in we had the worst draw of any of the bottom 6 teams but that was before Richmond and Essendon jumped 10 spots and North dropped 6.
Ultimately I don't think it mattered but an easier draw next year might help, not that I'm in any rush to get back into finals.

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/22under22-for-2017-revealed/

People actually voted a guy who averages 5.1 hitouts a game instead of Sean Darcy. This makes me sad.
This is why publicly voted teams are the worst. Freo games are almost never shown interstate on FTA, so most people voting wouldn't have a clue who Darcy is. Blakely being out just completely reinforces how much of a poor system it is. He'll have one of the best careers out of anyone on that list.

This is why publicly voted teams are the worst. Freo games are almost never shown interstate on FTA, so most people voting wouldn't have a clue who Darcy is. Blakely being out just completely reinforces how much of a poor system it is. He'll have one of the best careers out of anyone on that list.

But Peter Wright plays for Gold Coast surely get similar coverage as Freo.

But Peter Wright plays for Gold Coast surely get similar coverage as Freo.
But his name rhymes with "metre" so people get very excited about it all. "Tall Born Sean" just not as catchy. It will take time for our Hodor's shhhhhs to traverse the country but once it happens people will say "Peter Who?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back