Mega Thread Miscellaneous Freo Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, but a bit of a bizzare exercise. Would have thought it would be better value to get them to write a letter to themselves as they retire for them to read 10 years down the road.
I think they did that a few years back. Ben Cousins nailed his...

Dear Ben, You won a premiership, you won a Brownlow. The next decade has been an exciting time as you moved from client to dealer. Transitioning from football star to reality TV personality (but without a tv show). Car chases, fully clothed swims, running races and games of hide and seek - competing against the team from the WA Police. Your relationships blossomed into months of stalking, breaches of VROs and countless court appearances. Culminating in a lengthy prison term where you make good use of your skills to smuggle in contraband. Credit must go to West Coast for providing such a rich club culture that prepared me for this career pathway.

This is why publicly voted teams are the worst. Freo games are almost never shown interstate on FTA, so most people voting wouldn't have a clue who Darcy is. Blakely being out just completely reinforces how much of a poor system it is. He'll have one of the best careers out of anyone on that list.

Time to consider leadership group changes?

I don't think we can afford to have blokes over 30 in designated leadership positions, need to look forward.

Out: Mundy, Spurr, Sandilands
In: Hamling, Hill, ???

Maybe Mundy retains the title another year while another clear candidate emerges, maybe from the 2014 draft year.
Obviously all of these players will still be leaders around the club just not by title, remove the 'undropability'

I don't think we can afford to have blokes over 30 in designated leadership positions, need to look forward.

Maybe Mundy retains the title another year while another clear candidate emerges, maybe from the 2014 draft year.
Obviously all of these players will still be leaders around the club just not by title, remove the 'undropability'
Blakely, Cox, Ryan and Bennell

I suggested this year Blakely and Hamling should jump into the leadership group. I'd put them in for Sandilands and Spurr. They both had outstanding seasons and feel like a role like this will better them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suggested this year Blakely and Hamling should jump into the leadership group. I'd put them in for Sandilands and Spurr. They both had outstanding seasons and feel like a role like this will better them.

Blakely?

Seriously though would anyone be against Bennell being in the leadership group? He's helping out with the Next Generation academy and at 24 will be one of the older guys once Sandi, MJ, Mundy and Spurr all retire. It couple help his personal development and he could be a good teacher to the young guys to not make the same mistakes he's made.

Seriously though would anyone be against Bennell being in the leadership group? He's helping out with the Next Generation academy and at 24 will be one of the older guys once Sandi, MJ, Mundy and Spurr all retire. It couple help his personal development and he could be a good teacher to the young guys to not make the same mistakes he's made.
I am against it, 2018 come a bit early for him to be in leadership , let him enjoy his footy and had an injury free year and put his hand up for leadership group in 2019 .

Yes Blakely - our best player.

Best player. Also puts surfing over training.

Leadership badges don't go to those types I'm afraid, think Fyfe would be scratching his head over the "best player" award too.

Best player. Also puts surfing over training.

Leadership badges don't go to those types I'm afraid, think Fyfe would be scratching his head over the "best player" award too.

1. He never prioritized surfing over training.
2. Fyfe may be scratching his head at "best player title" after Round 19 when Blakely got injured and the season didn't matter anymore.

1. He never prioritized surfing over training.
2. Fyfe may be scratching his head at "best player title" after Round 19 when Blakely got injured and the season didn't matter anymore.

1. Yes he did.
2. You're on your own here.

I think it'd be better for him to focus on playing footy for a year, if he plays 20 games next year and demonstrates leadership qualities I'd be all for it.

I am against it, 2018 come a bit early for him to be in leadership , let him enjoy his footy and had an injury free year and put his hand up for leadership group in 2019 .
Agree. Let him concentrate on his footy. Doesn't seem the type who would care too much about being in/out of a leadership group anyway. Besides we need to make sure he is on the park full time first. You can't lead from the stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back