Mega Thread Miscellaneous Freo Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was not one of the options!! It's too obvious. OTHER THAN because Victoria... why?? It sounds like I really care, but I actually don't, and I'm sure Fyfe cares even less, but I just don't get it. That's where I'm coming from.

IP, you have been warned, ..... that Bex is beckoning.

Me thinks 2 Brownlow + MVP’s + Captaincy, is a pretty strong hand.

What is comes down to is that a couple of finals games are valued more than a splendid season of 22 games. Love it or hate it, that is how some people view a players season.

Anyway, at the end of their footy careers, we at least know that Fyfe has a solid job to fall back on.

That was not one of the options!! It's too obvious. OTHER THAN because Victoria... why?? It sounds like I really care, but I actually don't, and I'm sure Fyfe cares even less, but I just don't get it. That's where I'm coming from.
because richmond have been good for the last couple of years and have won 2 flags which he's gotten the Norm Smiths for (even if he didn't deserve 2017's). Combine that with Martin playing in Victoria, and that's probably why Pickering chose him, or thinks of him as better than Fyfe

Ok - reasons why Shaw over Mundy (I agree, of course, that Mundy is the far superior player)?

But, more importantly - I am dead-set, seriously, honestly curious as to the thoughts on why Dusty over Fyfe? What would he have been thinking? My thoughts are the two premierships, and two Norm Smiths. Premierships count for nothing IMO - Marlion Pickett got one in his first ever game, that #34 and Tom whats-his-name from the weags are both premiership players, but hardly the best from their draft year. Yes two Norm Smiths is impressive but you have to get to the GF (and win it these days) to get one, so Fyfe has never had the opportunity, as he's never played in a winning GF.

Two Brownlows to one, 2 AFLPA MVPs to one, 3-all AAs (Fyfe one as captain), Fyfe highest average Brownlow medal votes per game in history, and one of only two to average more than a vote a game, Martin averages 0.83, Fyfe club captain. All this, and due to injury, Fyfe has played 50 fewer games than Martin. Fyfe averages more disposals, more clearances, more contested possessions and more marks (incl contested marks) over his career.

So why is Martin the player of his draft?

It's really a tight contest for me, given they're both within the top 5 players of the comp.

If I was picking a team I'd grab Fyfe first because of his leadership, but I know some people will rate the Norm Smiths (showing Martin's proven ability to stand up in the really big games) over the Brownlows.

Martin is a better kick than Fyfe, and he is an excellent big game player.
I'd still take Fyfe but these two things matter a lot.

He's picked the Fyfe/Martin spot at forward pocket, which IMO suits Martin better than Fyfe. Both Fyfe and Martin have better credentials than all the onballers named (GAJ and Dangerfield as forwards for this reason too). It's the same reason Shaw has been picked over Mundy, when most can't remember Mundy playing in the backline.

If you're picking a team and trying to shoehorn them into starting positions, it's not the worst effort. With those constraints (starting 18) it is hard and there are plenty of better players (mids) left out of various drafts to allow for some of the backs.

Same - really splitting hairs. I guess the issue is that they didn't even offer an explanation or that it is was close, which is wrong.
Who knows, maybe Dusty has another Brownlow or two by the time he retires.
Hopefully Nat has 3 Norm Smiths by then too :)

If anyone can find it, don’t forget to watch Melbourne v Fremantle, Round 6 2005.
Ordered this game on DVD as soon as this game finished. McPharlin 5 goals, Farmer with 7.

143 defeated Melbourne 129. Great game, think we were $5.20 to win prior to this game too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sadly I think he's an Essendon fan, his uncle (Robert Shaw) might have still been working at the club when that picture was taken

Mundy match vs Richmond last quarter is on Fox now.
which one?

on a not so great note, believe the game being played on the AFL app right now is the game against the Bulldogs in 2008 (loss by 3 points after being up by 3 goals at 3QT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back