Mega Thread Miscellaneous Freo Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as they are fit enough they are here to play footy, not to look great at the beach.
That's always the thing right? It's more than just getting onto the park - it's about getting the most of themselves and their talent. It's a visible signal that they don't do everything they can to be the best

You don't see Fyfe having a dart or looking anything other than cut for a reason

They might be good enough on skills alone, I'd love to see what they could be if they tried to be more than just good enough. Worked for Walters

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's always the thing right? It's more than just getting onto the park - it's about getting the most of themselves and their talent. It's a visible signal that they don't do everything they can to be the best

You don't see Fyfe having a dart or looking anything other than cut for a reason

They might be good enough on skills alone, I'd love to see what they could be if they tried to be more than just good enough. Worked for Walters

It may well be that Cox and McCarthy don't work hard enough. But I will just point out that Mundy has never looked cut. He has almost no muscle definition, yet he is very strong in the contest and we all love him these days and appreciate every game we get from him.

Some have the genes to look cut, some don't.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Fully agree with this. For us to be serious contenders we pretty much need everyone doing everything right. But there are two things different about the upcoming season that will help that;
  • there is realistic competition for list spots, notably in the positions where some posters believe that there has not been enough effort. Getting a game is not going to be automatic.
  • we are clearly building a competitive list, and winning is key driver for sportspeople.
Those things may or may not work, but if they don't then we keep sorting the wheat from the chaff.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fully agree with this. For us to be serious contenders we pretty much need everyone doing everything right. But there are two things different about the upcoming season that will help that;
  • there is realistic competition for list spots, notably in the positions where some posters believe that there has not been enough effort. Getting a game is not going to be automatic.
  • we are clearly building a competitive list, and winning is key driver for sportspeople.
Those things may or may not work, but if they don't then we keep sorting the wheat from the chaff.
I also think Ross and the club have acknowledged they have had more of a focus on developing an environment that will help with player retention - no doubt relaxing the standards with some of the young/new boys would have been part of this. No point being a drill sergeant and riding them too hard when we all knew losses were more likely than wins.

As you said, with increased competition for spots, comes increased standards. Hopefully the “off-field” bonds are strong and we keep this “rat-pack” group together, because they are some of our highest potential players going forward.

DeanS

Club Legend
May 16, 2007
Tuart Hill
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Perth
I was hoping to ask this on the pre-season training thread but........well, you know. Anyway, the reports (all of which I love and cannot work out for the life of me why people feel the need to debate the reporters opinions) often refer to Kersten just running laps. I can’t remember what his injury was but it seems to be going on for a while. What’s up with him and what is the prognosis?

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was hoping to ask this on the pre-season training thread but........well, you know. Anyway, the reports (all of which I love and cannot work out for the life of me why people feel the need to debate the reporters opinions) often refer to Kersten just running laps. I can’t remember what his injury was but it seems to be going on for a while. What’s up with him and what is the prognosis?
Was similar situation for him last pre-season - running stacks and stacks of laps. I think he has had some groin issues but perhaps there is the aim to build his tank ... not sure. Make or break year for Kersten.

Someone asked him last week but I can't remember what his answer was.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Kersten trained fully today. I heard a watcher say that he had a hot spot in his groin (no nudge nudge wink wink intended) and they were being careful. Seems like he is back to full training.

Btw I like healthy debate of reporters opinions. Just don’t like people calling me a liar or sycophant.

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle

AFL put this up today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My missus is still dirty that she gave her seat to my brother for that great game! Reminds him about it regularly. Shoe could be in my foot in R1 as I will be in Melbourne for the Norf game and my Bro is taking my seat this time!

Halfbaked

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hi, I am not going to say why I was I reading about Benjamin Franklin last night.

It is sad and pathetic tale.
However I truly believe for a man who died in 1790, in Philadelphia, he should be our spiritual leader.
This is what he had to say about (the) Eagles.

Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District.

(And)

You may have seen him perch’d on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk [Osprey]; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.

Not a big fan of eagles was our ben.

Hi, I am not going to say why I was I reading about Benjamin Franklin last night.

It is sad and pathetic tale.
However I truly believe for a man who died in 1790, in Philadelphia, he should be our spiritual leader.
This is what he had to say about (the) Eagles.

Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District.

(And)

You may have seen him perch’d on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk [Osprey]; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.

Not a big fan of eagles was our ben.

Ben Franklin didn't like the slave trade. He also didn't like Eagles. Therefore, if you like Eagles you like the Slave trade.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fact: Stalin, Hitler and Bin Laden all had pet eagles they loved.

I know we don't like to read too much in to some things but clearly Eagles Lover = Evil Psychopath

Fact: Eagles prey on animals smaller than them... like most of Australia's worst criminals

Clearly our worst criminals in Australia are/were Eagles supporters

The prosecution rests... and tries to forget the horror that was last season :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back