Mega Thread Miscellaneous Freo Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think it breeds and promotes comfort and perhaps after quarter time last week there were some players comfortable to do just enough.
Ross seems to have adjusted some aspects he was criticised for, but needs to sort this one out. It's fine to back players in but there definitely is a limit and we have crossed it for sure last week.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Jaded Freo Fan bingo, Derby Edition. Claim all 5 and win an evening of groaning and loud sighing.

1. Goal-less quarter
2. 4 or 5 goal quarter, without scoring as many for the other 3 quarters combined
3. Hurn/McGovern/Sheppard win the medal
4. 29-19 free kick count for the Eagles
5. Honourable Lossᵀᴹ
The last two weeks have us all a bit jaded my friend. I'm still in shock we've lost to 16, 17 ad 18th. I honestly thought we were better than that.

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
The last two weeks have us all a bit jaded my friend. I'm still in shock we've lost to 16, 17 ad 18th. I honestly thought we were better than that.

I think that 98% if us thought the same thing. Hard to have faith now. But I didn’t predict finals back in March so I can’t wine and bitch now. Just hard to swallow when we were/are so close.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think you underestimate them a little and definitely the evenness of the comp this year. Melbourne is not playing like a bottom 4 side and hasn't done so for 5 or 6 weeks. Carlton are nowhere near as bad as they were last year and could easily have won 2-3 more games (and frankly probably should have). I'd say they are at a similar level to us last year. Gold Coast play their best 5 games for the season in the first 5 games every year (except maybe the Sydney game last year) and unfortunately for us, we played them away in that time.

We weren't at our best in any of those games obviously, but that's because we are young still and many of our players are inconsistent. We struggle big time when the bottom half of our 22 doesn't turn up, which many of them regularly don't.

We've lost to the bottom three, but we've beaten three of the four "top five" teams that we've played so far. To paint that picture fully, if those three teams had beaten us they would be ranked #2, #3 and #4 on the ladder.

If our improvement is going to come from us beating the bottom teams on the ladder, that's some easy upside. If our problem is that we switch off against teams we expect to beat and stay switched on against the big challenges, we can fix that.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
Lived there for a while can vouch for that , Good footy club back then though . I see they have struggled in recent times but they were a very powerful club in their heyday.

I also lived in Kambalda for 2 years in the 90's.
The pub had the nickname "swinging arms hotel" with a few.
I started off having a dry spell there, but quickly began drinking again, & boy did we drink!
I had fun there, but I'm not interested in ever going back.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
And beaten 2 and 3 I believe in GWS and Collingwood.. Let's not overestimate the wins but lets also not get too down about the losses. Classic stuff from a developing team and the fact that we were at 7 and 6 looking to go 8 and 6 after last week magnifies the position a bit. Realistically though how many of us had Freo down as finals locks when the season hadn't started?

My thinking back then was likely about 10 - 11 wins and at the fringes of the 8 was where would land. We could still outperform that....

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
To paint that picture fully, if those three teams had beaten us they would be ranked #2, #3 and #4 on the ladder.
If we're paining a picture fully by hypothetical, lets say we beat 16,17 and 18th.

We're 2nd on the ladder, a lock for Top 4, a home final and double chance.

Still happy we didn't win the one's we should have?

If we're paining a picture fully by hypothetical, lets say we beat 16,17 and 18th.

We're 2nd on the ladder, a lock for Top 4, a home final and double chance.

Still happy we didn't win the one's we should have?
It isn't a requirement that someone is happy that we didn't beat the bottom three in order for us to be happy that we beat the teams at the other end of the ladder.

It's a quirk but if we go into next year thinking we have the game plan to beat the best teams and need to switch on against the bottom sides, potentially meaning three or four more wins in the season, then we are very well set up for a home qualifying final and home prelim.

I expect the loss against Gold Coast helped us beat GWS away, I expect the loss to Carlton will offer similar lessons that we might see the benefit from next season.

If we aren't winning the flag this season then wins this season don't matter next year. Finals experience would be ideal, I really want that but I wasn't expecting it this year.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
It isn't a requirement that someone is happy that we didn't beat the bottom three in order for us to be happy that we beat the teams at the other end of the ladder.

It's a quirk but if we go into next year thinking we have the game plan to beat the best teams and need to switch on against the bottom sides, potentially meaning three or four more wins in the season, then we are very well set up for a home qualifying final and home prelim.

I expect the loss against Gold Coast helped us beat GWS away, I expect the loss to Carlton will offer similar lessons that we might see the benefit from next season.

If we aren't winning the flag this season then wins this season don't matter next year. Finals experience would be ideal, I really want that but I wasn't expecting it this year.
Expectations prior to a season are irrelevant. West Coast, Richmond and Western Bulldogs were all expected to struggle in their respective premierships. They saw a crack of daylight to achieve something special and bashed down the door to achieve it.

My point is, Freo's wins against top teams should have been a catalyst for a really successful year - which it still may be, and I'll be there every step of the way at every game. But, if we keep waiting for next year, or the year after that, or the next Jesse Hogan we're in really big trouble.

The team that ran out on Sunday is good enough if they want it. Just lack belief, but can you blame them? All we keep hearing is; injuries, scapegoats, rebuilding, player development, contracts, trades etc etc. Ross Lyon had a presser today and what did he talk about? Harley freakin Bennell - I'm not making this up.

How about we collectively show a bit of class and stop making excuses, supporting our team and get on with winning games of football?

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Expectations prior to a season are irrelevant. West Coast, Richmond and Western Bulldogs were all expected to struggle in their respective premierships. They saw a crack of daylight to achieve something special and bashed down the door to achieve it.

My point is, Freo's wins against top teams should have been a catalyst for a really successful year - which it still may be, and I'll be there every step of the way at every game. But, if we keep waiting for next year, or the year after that, or the next Jesse Hogan we're in really big trouble.

The team that ran out on Sunday is good enough if they want it. Just lack belief, but can you blame them? All we keep hearing is; injuries, scapegoats, rebuilding, player development, contracts, trades etc etc. Ross Lyon had a presser today and what did he talk about? Harley freakin Bennell - I'm not making this up.

How about we collectively show a bit of class and stop making excuses, supporting our team and get on with winning games of football?
Do you think Ross and the coaches change their method from game to game?

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
6625B58F-2E42-4CC0-B44A-732947F1EDE5.jpeg

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Our 2:19 was just the third time that a team has scored more in points than goals since 2000.

The others were last year, the Bulldogs 2:14 vs Adelaide and you guessed it, us again 1:7 vs Adelaide in 2009!

We break all the wrong records!

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Not sure where to put this so it’s going here. My youngest daughter’s new boyfriend’s mum is the first cousin of Shaun McManus. As in he’s at family gatherings and stuff like that. The poor boyfriend has an unfortunate surname, although thankfully not related to that grubby mob... Selwood.
How does a cousin of Shauny Mac end up with the name Selwood? It’s a ******* travesty!

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Youngest daughter has a boyfriend.

That boyfriend has a mother.

The mother has a first cousin.

That first cousin is Fremantle legend Shaun McManus.

Boyfriend from line 1 has the last name Selwood. How is it possible?

Well, when one person loves another they propose a mutually beneficial union called marriage. Upon entering this union called marriage one person may choose to take the name of the other, which is generally the wife in a man / woman marriage.

It appears that your daughters boyfriends mother who is the 1st cousin of Fremantle legend Shaun McManus married someone with the last name Selwood.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Youngest daughter has a boyfriend.

That boyfriend has a mother.

The mother has a first cousin.

That first cousin is Fremantle legend Shaun McManus.

Boyfriend from line 1 has the last name Selwood. How is it possible?

Well, when one person loves another they propose a mutually beneficial union called marriage. Upon entering this union called marriage one person may choose to take the name of the other, which is generally the wife in a man / woman marriage.

It appears that your daughters boyfriends mother who is the 1st cousin of Fremantle legend Shaun McManus married someone with the last name Selwood.
I fully understand the logic behind all this, but thank you for mansplaining it to me.

But if these two get married, and as a modern young woman she takes his name, I will kick her backside all the way across the Nullabor to Geelong and she can stay there, with or without him. Worst thing is that my grandchildren would be Selwoods. :eek::mad::sob:

(She's already said she wouldn't change her name for any fella, and as long as she keeps to that decision, she's safe from said backside kicking).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back