Miscellaneous Sports 2021 off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Team

After a good suggestion, we’ve decided to move all non-AFL threads to the old and dusty “Purple Horde” sub thread. The hope is it has the following effects
A) Keeps them easily available but still out of sight
B) Encourages the use of the sub-forums like they are meant to be used for and brings a bit more organisation to the forum
C) While I love how passionate everyone is on the topics and that there is terrific debate on the topics, moderating the politics thread can get... tiresome. I’ll be letting things go a bit more, however personal attacks will not be tolerated and I encourage you to report them in any shape or form.

As usual, reach out to BeinPurplenGreen, myself and Tonga Bob to discuss anything as needed. Thanks for making the forum what it is.

Last edited:

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
In light of discussion around the correct place for political discussion, I thought I'd chance my arm and create a dedicated thread. That way, those of us who are interested can discuss freely and those who aren't can stay the * away :)

I respect the rights of all to their political views, no matter how extreme, and I respect the rights of others to argue those views. This is a discussion forum and has no influence on anything that happens in the real world, but it does allow us to vent.

For mine, I will go on record as saying I don't think we are doing enough to deal with the climate crisis, but it really comes down to what are we prepared to sacrifice? Are we prepared to sacrifice our cars, boats, air conditioning, overseas holidays and other non-essential items? Or do we expect "others" to make the sacrifices for us. If we are not prepared to make meaningful personal sacrifices, then we have no right to lecture others. Come at me ;)

Hopefully this is OK moderators, if not please feel free to delete it and everyone can just post their political views on all the other threads.

Can we talk about, like maybe, the cricket and ‘other’ off-season sport and whatnot here? Leave all the s**t at the door and just talk about Marnus’ great century and his mindless, stupid shot where he got himself out.
And whether Wade is really a Test batsman, or whether he doesn’t have the temperament to concentrate for extremely long periods of time.
And if Tim Paine and his primary school attempts at sledging are an embarrassment or an embarrassment.
And whether anyone really cares about Perth Glory and that Cogs is the no1 ticket holder.
And can the Scorchers win the BBL, or will they choke? And is BBL even cricket at all???

That kind of stuff.
Thoughts?

Why not just call this a cricket thread then?

Why not just call this a cricket thread then?
Because some people like to talk about NFL or EPL or A-League or SWPTWC or LLCF or whatever the * they want to talk about that isn’t polluted by people and their disparate political views which inevitably cause conflict and clog up every thread where posters are TRYING to talk about ‘other’ but they can’t.

How long exactly has the politics thread been closed? A simple quantifiable unit of time is a sufficient answer to the question, without it degenerating into a shitfight about the merits, or lack thereof, of it being shutdown in the first place.

With endless thanks and much appreciation in advance.

Because some people like to talk about NFL or EPL or A-League or SWPTWC or LLCF or whatever the fu** they wanted to talk about that isn’t polluted by people and their disparate political views which inevitably cause conflict and clog up every thread where posters are TRYING to talk about ‘other’ but they can’t.

How long exactly has the politics thread been closed. A simple quantifiable unit of time is a sufficient answer to the question, without it degenerating into a shitfight about the merits, or lack thereof, of it being shutdown in the first place.

With thanks and appreciation in advance.

I'm too stupid to understand your question, or your answer to your own question.

I'm too stupid to understand your question, or your answer to your own question.
1. You said why not call it the cricket thread?
2. I said because people like to talk about other sports and stuff too.
3. Then I asked (general question, not aimed just at you) how long the politics thread had been closed. I guess to ascertain how long it had taken for other threads to become infected.
4. Then I ranted a bit. Somewhat sarcastically, but with elements of serious.

1. You said why not call it the cricket thread?
2. I said because people like to talk about other sports and stuff too.
3. Then I asked (general question, not aimed just at you) how long the politics thread had been closed. I guess to ascertain how long it had taken for other threads to become infected.
4. Then I ranted a bit. Somewhat sarcastically, but with elements of serious.
Politics is " stuff too". Just not the"stuff too" that you want to talk about (though you have been known to make the odd strident sexual politics point over the years when you felt like it). Cricket has as much relevance to a footy forum as politics, namely zero.
Anyhow, is anyone happy that the politics thread was closed and all this was necessary? Anyone?

Anyhow, is anyone happy that the politics thread was closed and all this was necessary? Anyone?

I think that's the entire point?

Have a non-sports off-topic thread for the boring people who like politics and stuff and a sports off-topic thread for people who like other sports - including us boring people who like cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Politics is " stuff too". Just not the"stuff too" that you want to talk about (though you have been known to make the odd strident sexual politics point over the years when you felt like it). Cricket has as much relevance to a footy forum as politics, namely zero.
FFS - can we not leave this? Homophobia and sexism is inherently political so I’ve called it out when I’ve seen it. My bad that I didn’t take it to the politics thread. Apologies to all.

But you’re already derailing this thread with the sort of s**t that it was entirely not designed for, and if you’re really wanting to start something, then take it to the ‘off-season’ thread, bag the s**t out of me to your heart’s content, I won’t be following and you can diss me as much as you want and you will have the joy of getting the last say regarding whatever it is you want to say about me.

You’re very boring if the best you’ve got is to argue about why/what/how a thread in an online forum exists in the state it does.

Go Scorchers.

Politics can be unnecessarily divisive, and to the benefit of what? People getting to say they're right?

Left or right, or bang up the middle you say all smart things, dumb things and hypocritical things. Although I will say one side does seem to have kinder intentions than the other.

Ideally the reason really we are on BigFooty is the sense of unity and discussion talking about Fremantle. Talking about cricket in the off-season is a great deal more friendly, than whipping everything into place political arguments where there must be a winner.

FFS - can we not leave this? Homophobia and sexism is inherently political so I’ve called it out when I’ve seen it. My bad that I didn’t take it to the politics thread. Apologies to all.

But you’re already derailing this thread with the sort of sh*t that it was entirely not designed for, and if you’re really wanting to start something, then take it to the ‘off-season’ thread, bag the sh*t out of me to your heart’s content, I won’t be following and you can diss me as much as you want and you will have the joy of getting the last say regarding whatever it is you want to say about me.

You’re very boring if the best you’ve got is to argue about why/what/how a thread in an online forum exists in the state it does.

Go Scorchers.

You're taking this too personally. Peace.

Go Green Bay Packers tomorrow!! #1 offense vs #1 defense of the “modernly” uniformed LA Rams (I love how their unis glow! Wheeee!).

No way Packers are held to under 24. As long as the Green Bay defense holds up, we should be moving onto the next round. I’m actually more concerned about playing the Buccaneers, who beat the Packers earlier in the year. Dang I hate that Tom Brady. Frigging GOAT!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m with you 100% Square Peg, closing the politics thread was unnecessary and has caused problems for people in other threads as welll as for those of us who like to talk or read politics.

stupid decision.

This is amazing, Scorchers need to give Roy and Livingstone lifetime contracts!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back