Miscellaneous Sports 2021 off-season

Team

After a good suggestion, we’ve decided to move all non-AFL threads to the old and dusty “Purple Horde” sub thread. The hope is it has the following effects
A) Keeps them easily available but still out of sight
B) Encourages the use of the sub-forums like they are meant to be used for and brings a bit more organisation to the forum
C) While I love how passionate everyone is on the topics and that there is terrific debate on the topics, moderating the politics thread can get... tiresome. I’ll be letting things go a bit more, however personal attacks will not be tolerated and I encourage you to report them in any shape or form.

As usual, reach out to BeinPurplenGreen, myself and Tonga Bob to discuss anything as needed. Thanks for making the forum what it is.

Last edited:

kp junior

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
Her reasoning in the thread was pretty blunt.

She doesn't like seeing viewpoints she doesn't agree with, so she closed the whole thread.
Unfortunately a par for the course approach to dissenting opinions from today's left. (Having said that I haven't read any of the comments you guys are referring to)

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Why do we still use Lyon.
Seems like the same issue since I last watched cricket a few years ago. Can't finish off the tail..
Is Lyons always rubbish or does he have his moments.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Na he's played 100 test matches because he's always rubbish...
He played 100 tests because there is literally no one else. He always seemed one bad tour or one up and coming chubby blonde leg-spinner away from being shafted
Need some more chubby blonde leggies.

Demons09

Premiership Player
Jan 12, 2009
rockingham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah I don’t think you’re a dud if you take almost 400 wickets in test cricket, the best offie in australian cricket history , and would have the most wickets for an off spinner in world cricket if it wasn’t fior a guy with a sus action.

i mean did Warnie only get a game because there was no one else the facts of the matter are our wickets don’t deteriorate enough they’re still good to bat on in the fourth innings, i have more of an issue the lengths our quicks bowl.

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
NFL results are quite interesting, TB12 has got Tampa Bay into the final 4 and should be able to move straight into an old peoples home when he eventually gives the game away in 20 years time. An amazing career.

The Cleveland Browns did themselves proud with a real gritty effort on the road. Hopefully for the sake of their long suffering fans this is the beginning of better times rather than a one off blip.

Baltimore looked like a real top line team last season but have stagnated a little this season. Lamar Jackson was stunning last season but seems to have been worked out by the opposition this season.

Nov 7, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
It looks like the demons are being released from this Gabba pitch...I wouldn't want to be an Indian batsman facing the Aussie pace battery on day 5.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Australians are weak. India B deserves to retain the trophy hands down. I hope they do it by winning the series because Australia doesn’t deserve either.
No question in my mind that at full strength they are better. Our batting is too fragile and I think tactically we are off bowling too often for how good the bowlers are. Also Lyon a complete passenger this series.

Probably not popular but I also think Bumrah is just as good as Cummins.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
No question in my mind that at full strength they are better. Our batting is too fragile and I think tactically we are off bowling too often for how good the bowlers are. Also Lyon a complete passenger this series.

Probably not popular but I also think Bumrah is just as good as Cummins.
Might not be popular but I agree it’s true.

greatgatsby

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2010
The Seat of Power
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Washington Commanders, Black Ducks
The Australians are weak. India B deserves to retain the trophy hands down. I hope they do it by winning the series because Australia doesn’t deserve either.

Agree - neither side deserves to win this series but India have definitely done enough to deserve to retain the trophy. Oddly enough, we might have made some progress, finding an opening batsmen and a No. 6 all-rounder. We've also had it confirmed that Wade is not a Test batsman's shoelace and that Lyon is near the end of the road.

As for India, we've learned what we've always feared - that they have enough Test cricketers for two sides. Soon they'll have to farm one or two out to each other country, like internationals in the BBL.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, he tried hard in the opening position, but it would be a blight on Aussie cricket if we could not find a better batsmen that him in the middle order for test cricket.
The depressing part is that the next guy probably isn't any better. Pucovski and Green were the only two piling it on in the shield and haven't already been shown up at test level (Marsh is probably better but is also ancient).

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
The depressing part is that the next guy probably isn't any better. Pucovski and Green were the only two piling it on in the shield and haven't already been shown up at test level (Marsh is probably better but is also ancient).
It will depend on his Shield start next spring, but considering next summer is the Ashes if SMarsh is still in great Shield form it would be ridiculous to ignore him just because of his age.

Back