Miscellaneous Sports 2021 off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Team

After a good suggestion, we’ve decided to move all non-AFL threads to the old and dusty “Purple Horde” sub thread. The hope is it has the following effects
A) Keeps them easily available but still out of sight
B) Encourages the use of the sub-forums like they are meant to be used for and brings a bit more organisation to the forum
C) While I love how passionate everyone is on the topics and that there is terrific debate on the topics, moderating the politics thread can get... tiresome. I’ll be letting things go a bit more, however personal attacks will not be tolerated and I encourage you to report them in any shape or form.

As usual, reach out to BeinPurplenGreen, myself and Tonga Bob to discuss anything as needed. Thanks for making the forum what it is.

Last edited:
This Glory game is ******* crazy. 1-0 down at half-time and now it is 3-3 after 73 minutes. This could easily finish 5-5 the way it is going.

edit: 4-3 now.

edit 2: 4-4 now.

edit 3: 5-4 now.

Last edited:
Yuk
More poms as if there aren't enough in Australia & particularly on TV
Seriously wtf is a pommy chick commentating on Aussie TV the cricket between Australia & India for?

Because she is hot as * and she is a better commentator than all the Aussie ones put together.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Hot?
Yuk
Not even close
If they want a female there are a few Aussies that do the female games

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Each to one's own; I generally don't like most of the female sports commentators the TV channels have chosen to commentate sport but Abbey comes across as way more articulate and intelligible than most of her male counterparts and I genuinely like listening to her. Additionally, if looks are important to the role then she looks stylish; I am pretty sure she (or rather her wardrobe assistant) is not trying to (maker her) look "hot", so I will run with that term instead (although I note that it is possible that the typical Australian male usage of that term often translates to a different word that women use if one is to try and map the images together).

Yuk
More poms as if there aren't enough in Australia & particularly on TV
Seriously wtf is a pommy chick commentating on Aussie TV the cricket between Australia & India for?
because isa guha is a genuinely good commentator

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers

You're insane. Isa Guha is a class act.

Lovely voice to to listen to and has that understated class common in English commentators. Away Ashes are always my favourite series because of the quality of their commentary. Understated class reminiscent of Richie and co, while we get loud patriotic cheerleading over here (though life is much better now I have Kayo and don't have to listen to Healy and Slater screaming at me anymore).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
I read that they were looking at expanding the completion a while back with a few of the possibilities being Geelong, GC and Fremantle.
The Big Bash should not expand. There's not even enough talent around to prop up 8 teams. Too many grade cricket plodders going around.

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
After a crap start the season has turned out to be pretty exiting for us, I hope we can push on and get some home finals.

I read that they were looking at expanding the completion a while back with a few of the possibilities being Geelong, GC and Fremantle.

Would anyone here jump onto the Freo team if they joined? (I would stick with the Scorchers)

Nah I wouldn’t change. The reason I changed was Eagles were so arrogant & full of them selves (players like Jackovich & Peter Wilson were carrying on) and I didn’t identify with that. Fremantle came in and were playing some exciting footy with Wills, Abraham, Durkey & a bit later Pavlich so gave me an option so I switched.

Scorchers & Wildcats have always been humble even in victory so I wouldn’t change.

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
The Big Bash should not expand. There's not even enough talent around to prop up 8 teams. Too many grade cricket plodders going around.

The Big Bash is suffering from lack of talent as you say and the fact it's run to maximize financial returns and not as a sporting event.

Less games with each game result having a greater bearing on who qualifies for finals creates more tension than any amount of fireworks and ott loud gibber at the ground.

The NFL in the USA achieves that mix by having just 16 games where there is almost no such thing as a dead rubber.

I think the Big Bash has killed the goose that layed the golden egg to some degree with too many meaningless games and a reliance on theatrics over substance (cricket)

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Big Bash is suffering from lack of talent as you say and the fact it's run to maximize financial returns and not as a sporting event.

Less games with each game result having a greater bearing on who qualifies for finals creates more tension than any amount of fireworks and ott loud gibber at the ground.

The NFL in the USA achieves that mix by having just 16 games where there is almost no such thing as a dead rubber.

I think the Big Bash has killed the goose that layed the golden egg to some degree with too many meaningless games and a reliance on theatrics over substance (cricket)

I don’t see a lack of talent compared to other seasons if I’m perfectly honest. The renegades have been so much worse than every other team so they may be the exception but they’re very much doing what all bottom teams do in Australian professional sport - playing youngsters. I certainly think the squads of the other seven sides stack up very well compared virtually every other T20 league, bar IPL.

I actually think one more team would work wonders for the comp. If we did that everyone could play each other once and have the same amount of home games. The comp could be compressed into January potentially allowing our International players to get involved and have more of the overseas guys staying the entire tournament.

They could open another spot for each side to be filled with someone from the lower grades only, like a promotion player. Someone who never got higher up in the system because they sink too many beers but can hit 50 off 20 balls.

I only say this because if each team required one of these players for every game then the scorchers with all of WA grade and park cricket to choose from would have an advantage.

The characters coming out of that could be very fun too.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
They could open another spot for each side to be filled with someone from the lower grades only, like a promotion player. Someone who never got higher up in the system because they sink too many beers but can hit 50 off 20 balls.

I only say this because if each team required one of these players for every game then the scorchers with all of WA grade and park cricket to choose from would have an advantage.

The characters coming out of that could be very fun too.

Dunno. Someone like Andrew Tye was almost a story like that. He’s lasted. Craig Simmons was similar but didn’t last.

Ultimately T20 teams are picking grade cricketers already if they show the qualities necessary for T20 cricket for mixed results. Overall it has to happen because realistically state squads are based around the shield and the two games are so different not every Shield player can play BBL as well as some of the best grade cricketers in the country.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
No. The negativity towards Isa is what I was referring to.
Ah gotcha. Agree 100%. She’s all class, and sticks to commenting on the game rather than cracking (attempting to) crack lame jokes, tell insider stories, and pumping up the tyres of fellow commentators.
If all commentators were like Isa we wouldn’t miss half the game because the ‘boys’ are talking ‘remember the time’ and not watching the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back