Misheard lyrics

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LFC, Demons, Melb City, Bears
Thread starter #1
So owing to the fact I just found out I've been getting a line in Supermassive Black Hole wrong for the last seven years (apparently it's "Glaciers melting in the dead of night", not "Ray shields"....), what have been ones you or others have misheard over the years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Miguel Sanchez

Arrogant and insolent
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Black Ducks, SAS, NYR, BEARS
So owing to the fact I just found out I've been getting a line in Supermassive Black Hole wrong for the last seven years (apparently it's "Glaciers melting in the dead of night", not "Ray shields"....), what have been ones you or others have misheard over the years?
Did you only just pick that one up at one of their concerts in the last few weeks? So did I!

ioppolo

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Pretty much this whole entire song.

I'm sorry to the posters who decided to listen to it.

benji2

Club Legend
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Sheffield Wednesday
"Don't you cramp my style, don't you wee on the pitch" (perhaps the English cricket team misheard this lyric last summer?) (is actually "don't you queer me pitch?")

"How can we dance when our herpes burning?"

Last edited:

hcd199

Club Legend
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Waterford GAA, Glenorchy, Hob (BBL)
I misheard the Manic Street Preachers' "Kevin Carter" as saying "Kevin Carter can't fall over forever", rather than the actual lyric, "Kevin Carter, kaffir-lover forever".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roobs321

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Sydney Swans GWS CBR United
I don't know if anyone has seen the Australian 80s film The Coolangatta Gold, but in the film there is a band the protagonist manages. One of the key songs they play in the film is something like 'There's a fraction too much friction, yeah", and the first few times I was hearing "There's an erection to perfection, yeah" :oops:

rocker_oz33

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't know if anyone has seen the Australian 80s film The Coolangatta Gold, but in the film there is a band the protagonist manages. One of the key songs they play in the film is something like 'There's a fraction too much friction, yeah", and the first few times I was hearing "There's an erection to perfection, yeah" :oops:
This one?

worbod

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
From "The Ballad of John and Yoko" I misheard "You can get married in Gibraltar near Spain" as "You can get married and you'll probably just faint".

A mate misheard Otis Redding singing "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" as "Sitting on the top of the bed".

AFL Club
North Melbourne
Calvin Harris, "You Used to Hold Me":
"You used to hold me,
You used to hold me,
You used to hold me, beef, beef eater"...

Agree with the Manfred Mann Earth Band/Bruce Springsteen one, definitely sounds like "douche".

Some funny ones, here:
http://www.clashmusic.com/feature/25-ridiculous-misheard-lyrics

There's even a word to describe the misheard song lyric phenomena: mondegreen. :cool:

Oh, and I have heard that there's a band that perform's a cover of Steve Miller Band's "Jet Airliner"; instead of "Oh, oh big ol' jet airliner", they sing "Big ol' wet v*****"... :eek:

Roobs321

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Sydney Swans GWS CBR United
Yep, that Tim Finn song is the same (just a rockier band version in the film I guess).

Top Bottom