Misheard lyrics

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Wikipedia isn't always everyone's cup of tea, but it is from there I found the "Cut the cable! Drop the cable!" line.
Thanks for the above info.

Having now checked a number of other websites such as lyrics.wikia.com, metrolyrics.com, lyricsfreak.com and even one of those YouTube clips where you can watch the words of the song appear as the song plays, I have found these words to be consistent:

Full speed ahead, Mr Boatswain, full speed ahead
Full speed ahead it is, Sgt.
Cut the cable, drop the cable,
Aye, aye, sir, aye, aye
Captain, captain

In Aretha Franklin's "Respect", when she sings "R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Take care, TCB" what does the TCB stand for?

In Beck's "Loser" I thought the first line of the chorus sounded like" Oh...help me home". It never considered any possibility he was singing Spanish.

One which I have had laughs over with a bookbinder in Richmond is from ‘Brown Sugar’ which has two parts:
  1. “Rap, sugar!/How come your den’s so dirty/Rap, sugar!/Just like a younger chook, ah, ha”
  2. “Yeah/Yeah/Just like a pack of chooks”
It’s a great recollection even today to recall the bookbinder telling me about “Mick Jagger singing about the chickens”! I was never sure I was right with this one when I first heard the song as a teenager (I was born six years after it came out) but it remains really funny even when I know I was wrong and with connotations of racism and sexism masked by mishearing the lyrics.

Another Stones one I have discussed much less is from ‘Get off of My Cloud’ where I thought the chorus went “get out of my car” as a child.

Last edited:
Does anybody know what is spoken before the instrumental break in I'm A Believer by The Monkees? I've always thought it was "I love it" but after watching the clip on YouTube I'm not so sure.

Go cook a jew Mrs Robinson cause Jesus loves you more than you would know

As far as Simon & Garfunkel and anti-Semitism go, I always heard,

"Fools," said I, "you do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you

As,

"Fools," said I, "you do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I am anti-Jew

From Queen of Hearts by Juice Newton, there is part of the chorus which goes:

Laying out another lie,
thinking 'bout a life of crime.

I misheard "life of crime" as "Life of Brian", but I knew it probably wasn't correct.

In Aretha Franklin's "Respect", when she sings "R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Take care, TCB" what does the TCB stand for?

Pretty sure it means Takin' Care of Business, which can sometimes have the connotation 'get a job'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a misheard lyric, but a misheard answer to a question that became a song lyric.

New Wave legends Suburban Lawns most famous song is JANITOR, and the chorus is based on a conversation between lead vocalist Su Tissue and a friend. Su asked him what his profession is and he said he is a Janitor, but Su misheard what he said. Frankie Ennui overheard and wrote a song that appeared on their debut album and became the first single.

The chorus goes "I'm a Janitor, Ooh My Genitals".

It's a bizarre little song, especially Su vocals, but it's a great little song.

From the Fremantle Dockers team song:
Freo heave ho
Freo heave ho
It's a moldy old Freo heave ho

Actually "Give em all the old Freo heave ho"

I have only minutes ago discovered that In A Gadda Da Vida is not saying "In the Garden of Eden". When I saw The Simpsons scene in the church where Bart is having a dream of the parishioners singing this song, I thought I was hearing "In the Garden of Eden", which to me made sense because it was happening in a church and they were singing about Eden.

For the Billy Ocean song, "Carribbean Queen", I often think it sounds like he is singing "Carrie...You Quit!"

I joke to others that that is what the actual line is, and say that it was sung by Ocean to be used in the movie "Carrie".

Up until last year, I had thought the chorus to Korn's 'Freak on a Leash' was "Sometimes I cannot take this place; sometimes it's my life I can't take", which always made me think whoa, deep, relate. Then I found out it's actually "it's my life I can't taste" and now I think, trying to rhyme stuffs literally, grade school, lame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back