Missed free kick after siren: changes result of tonight’s game

Remove this Banner Ad

He intentionally climbed the post. The post shook.

Pretty simple free kick.

Also incredibly easy to fix going forward. Added rule: You cant climb the post. Sorted.
That argument would last a nano second in a court of law. Every single act a human does is ‘intentional’ one way or another. The wording is to ‘intentionally shake the post’ which he didn’t do. Sure it shook, and I would have paid the free against him, but he did NOT INTENTIONALLY shake the post. So we can’t claim letter of the law, just the spirit of the law, which actually supersedes the letter and a free should have been paid.

one day soon maybe Essendon supporters will come to understand that the surest way to win a match is to play well and kick more goals than the other team. And that when you lose its best to start by looking at yourselves rather than everyone possible external factor. Until then they will remain the comps saltiest tribe.

That argument would last a nano second in a court of law. Every single act a human does is ‘intentional’ one way or another. The wording is to ‘intentionally shake the post’ which he didn’t do. Sure it shook, and I would have paid the free against him, but he did NOT INTENTIONALLY shake the post. So we can’t claim letter of the law, just the spirit of the law, which actually supersedes the letter and a free should have been paid.
Yeh I'm probably not getting too technical here. For me it's common sense, he climbed the post and it shook, so it's pretty easy to pay a free kick for intentionally shaking the post.

one day soon maybe Essendon supporters will come to understand that the surest way to win a match is to play well and kick more goals than the other team. And that when you lose its best to start by looking at yourselves rather than everyone possible external factor. Until then they will remain the comps saltiest tribe.
LOL Collingwood fans started a petition to get the GF result overturned due to umpiring and still boo Dom Sheed for having the audacity to kick a goal.

Helps when you win the free kicks 24-8, like you did against Carlton.

Yeh I'm probably not getting too technical here. For me it's common sense, he climbed the post and it shook, so it's pretty easy to pay a free kick for intentionally shaking the post.
I wasn’t talking ‘common sense’ just the letter of the law. Funny that’s how Robbo argued it, and in that argument he was factually wrong.

Maybe one day soon the AFL will realise that if you continue to treat fans like mushrooms, eventually they become (even more) disillusioned & start to walk away.

Polegate is symptomatic of the ever increasing decent into farce this game is undertaking, as was ANZAC Day, as was 24-8, take your pick. Game sucks? not enough scoring? Easy fix, we'll change this & that & hey presto you just watch!. All that BS is now being justified via media arms with comments like "yeah, scoring is down but gee the game just looks better, we're getting tighter contests". * me, piss on my leg some more & keep telling me it's raining.

If you are happy, fine. Just don't come whining the next time it goes 24-8 against...

AFL needs to reverse the result, unacceptable really. Not like a normal missed free kick as in this case umpire acknowledged infringement but chose not to pay it. Clearly robbed of 4 points

Much as I'd love to see it just for the lols it won't happen but lodgement by Essendon of a formal complaint with the AFL against the decision & AFL's handling in the aftermath should happen as a matter of due course (& be made public) but of course wont as we are a spineless excuse of a club these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL needs to reverse the result, unacceptable really. Not like a normal missed free kick as in this case umpire acknowledged infringement but chose not to pay it. Clearly robbed of 4 points

Win the game and get a better draft pick? Where do I sign lol.

Myers probably would have missed anyway

Maybe one day soon the AFL will realise that if you continue to treat fans like mushrooms, eventually they become (even more) disillusioned & start to walk away.

Polegate is symptomatic of the ever increasing decent into farce this game is undertaking, as was ANZAC Day, as was 24-8, take your pick. Game sucks? not enough scoring? Easy fix, we'll change this & that & hey presto you just watch!. All that BS is now being justified via media arms with comments like "yeah, scoring is down but gee the game just looks better, we're getting tighter contests". **** me, piss on my leg some more & keep telling me it's raining.

If you are happy, fine. Just don't come whining the next time it goes 24-8 against...
So a bloke has a laugh climbing a pole and you want to stop watching footy? Seriously?

Best post the above on your own clubs board so your mate that started the FB petition after the GF can read it.....

God this thread has gone on and on annnnd on. Hells Bells just give em 2 points each and be done with it.

Two things.

1. Please stop this ridiculous argument that he didn’t “intend” to shake the post. He chose to jump on the post, an unnatural act, and it was reasonably foreseeable that the post would shake as a result. If he didn’t intend for it to happen then he should’ve known it would happen.

2. Enough with the churlish requests for the result to be overturned. It was an umpiring mistake. They happen. They will happen again. This particular one didn’t go your way. Move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back