Research Missing DOD or DOB for League players (AFL)

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Looks like one of our "names" slipped through the net back in February. Found thanks to entry on the Ryerson Index.

Lionel Charles Upton listed in the Herald Sun on 25 Feb 2019
“Passed away peacefully on Thursday, February 21, aged 94 years.
Dearly beloved husband of Jean (dec)….”

in 1949 electoral roll for seat of Melbourne in sub-district of Newmarket
there is a Lionel Charles Upton with address of 4 Chatham Street, fitter
and at same address Jean Beattie Upton, home duties.

Vic BDMs have a marriage in 1947 for them [her maiden name Soutter] #4843/1947
ping WhiteHartLane23 to add to spreadsheet for Stephen R/Col H

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
So Stephen Rodgers has sent me a handwritten note advising of a 'very slow, non-urgent, put-it-on-the-backburner' type of exercise.
Incredibly, The AFL only has 5-10% of middle names for AFL players from 2000 - 2018.
In the off-season he will revisit the list and contact the relevant schools where they were recruited from, to obtain their full names.
In the meantime, if you come across middle names of players feel free to advise (perhaps DM me incase the list gets too big).

He's given me a 50page printed spreadsheet of every player and handwritten in the middle names he has.
So if you want a copy of that huge spreadsheet, DM me , and I'll run it through the photocopy and mail it to you.

I dont think we need to put any ones we find on the WhiteHartLane spreadsheet as we will be here for ever.

Gibbsy

Oct 12, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester City, Victory, Cavs
So Stephen Rodgers has sent me a handwritten note advising of a 'very slow, non-urgent, put-it-on-the-backburner' type of exercise.
Incredibly, The AFL only has 5-10% of middle names for AFL players from 2000 - 2018.
In the off-season he will revisit the list and contact the relevant schools where they were recruited from, to obtain their full names.
In the meantime, if you come across middle names of players feel free to advise (perhaps DM me incase the list gets too big).

He's given me a 50page printed spreadsheet of every player and handwritten in the middle names he has.
So if you want a copy of that huge spreadsheet, DM me , and I'll run it through the photocopy and mail it to you.

I dont think we need to put any ones we find on the WhiteHartLane spreadsheet as we will be here for ever.
Crazy but somewhat unsurprising. What does it look like pre-2000? Better, I’d hope?

GreyCrow

Hall of Famer
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
Adelaide Football Club current and some past list (SA Born players)

*all sourced from publically available websites and sourced from newspapers at the time of birth

Bryce Leigh Gibbs
Rory Fitzgerald Laird
Sam Jacobs looks to have no middle name
Scott Thompson looks to have no middle name
Brodie Francis Smith
Riley Thomas Knight
Luke Lee Brown
Matthew John Jaensch
Mitchell Raymond Grigg
Brodie Daniel Martin
Andrew James McPherson

Just as an option, the AFL put out a player survey, maybe thats the format to ask for full name

the croucher

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2000
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong

Very puzzling. Why doesn't he just go to the AFL office files and check the registration form each player has presumably filled in ?

Last edited:

RedmanWasHere

Rarely in kitchens at parties.
Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Richmond AFLW
Benjamin Luke Cousins.
Christopher Dylan Judd.
Albert Bartlett Bickford.
Leon Francis Rice.
Billy Barnard Longer.
Justin Robert Aloysius Michael McDuff Koschitzke.

Source: Here.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Surely not?! The AFL having a record of which foot players kicked with has to be more important than them knowing the full name of players?!!!

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I hear ya all. Just passing on what I received in the mail (out of the blue).
Ive asked Rodgers about any registration forms that the AFL would have.
But I'm beginning to sense they have nothing

ThePope

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2003
32º 03'S 115º 45'E
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Most WAFL players have their middle names listed on the http://waflfootyfacts.net/player/all.php website.
I am starting to wonder if, especially for living players, are we going too far?

Most 18 year old yet to be drafted players have their dates of birth published. Now we are talking middle names. I know that this is mainly a question for sites like AustralianFootball.com, waflfootystats, draft websites or the Footy Record, and indirectly for all Wikipedia editors or list publishers elsewhere/here, but when does limiting the risk of invasion of privacy step in?

I understand that in sports like cricket, it is traditional to know, and refer to players by their full initials, and publishing dates of birth is also common, but does anyone know of any sportsman who's been the victim of identity theft from this public release of personal info?

Imagine being Jack Silvangi dealing with a bank over the phone. The whole football world knows his DOB, mother's maiden name, schools attended, could probably even find his dog's name with a bit of digging.

Rhett is probably more in tune with this that anyone else- did you have to take any extra precautions with your privacy?

Top Bottom