AFLW Missing due to injury (and suspensions)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Physical Performance Manager Matt Parker provides Richmond Media with an update on Hannah Burchell, Laura McClelland, Courtney Wakefield, Ellie McKenzie, Poppy Kelly, Christina Bernardi and Ingrid Houtsma in the latest injury report.

Hannah Burchell, knee

"Really disappointing for Hannah. She sustained that injury in quarter three on the weekend. It's devastating for her but we know and she knows she's got so much support here at the Club for her and we'll commence that rehab journey as soon as we can."

Laura McClelland, ankle

"Laura, unfortunately, was in a tackling incident in quarter two on the weekend, and unfortunately scans revealed a syndesmosis injury, which is going to rule her out for the season as well. It's devastating for her and she's put a huge amount of work in over the course of the pre-season and season, and we'll wrap our arms around her and support her."

Courtney Wakefield, shoulder

"'Court' sustained a dislocated shoulder in Round 2. We've had further scans and we're continuing to assess her situation, and we're still working through what that will look like for her."

Ellie McKenzie and Poppy Kelly's returns from injury

"It was so pleasing to see both Ellie and Poppy back. Both of them had put a huge amount of work in, Poppy from that Round 1 game and then Ellie over a longer period of time. They worked their way into the game, no doubt they blew out some cobwebs but they'll be much better for the run and we're looking forward to seeing how they work into the rest of the season."

Christina Bernardi, knee soreness

"'Benno' has just been managing a little bit of ongoing knee soreness, and we just felt it was going to be best for her to take that week and hopefully rejuvenate, and we can expect her to potentially be available for this week. She'll still going to be a test to train this week to be available but we're hopeful."

Ingrid Houtsma, calf

"Ingrid had a very minor calf complaint off the back of last week. It's something that we've dealt with really quickly and hopefully managed fairly well. So, she's a chance to be available this week depedning on how she goes through the training week.

Wow just went thru our list, the only 2 players we haven't used yet, are Akec Makur-Chuot & Ingrid Houtsma :(
And Akayla Peterson? Are we at the stage yet where if you have a pulse you can player......? :whistle:

1644309275871.png

FEB 8. 2022. 2:15 PM

'It was a bit of a weird one': Tiger star's unusual injury revealed​

Sarah Black

yQvCwU9j.jpeg

Richmond's Ellie McKenzie poses for a photo on the Tigers' team photo day in December 2021. Picture: AFL Photos

FORMER No.1 pick Ellie McKenzie has revealed the nature of her unique calf injury for the first time.

Speaking to womens.afl, the Richmond midfielder said she required an operation on extra calf muscle that had grown around her Achilles and into her foot.

"It was a bit of a weird one. I had a bit of extra muscle in my calf, it was causing me some complaints last year," McKenzie said.
"We had some scans and had a look around to see what was going on, and it turns out I had extra soleus muscle in my calf that we went and removed and started that rehab journey from there.
"I had that surgery in August. It was a long rehab process and something that we don't see often as athletes. I was learning on the job, and so was the medical staff, but I think we handled it pretty well with a really good plan moving forward, and we were lucky we were able to move that goal forward and actually return a bit earlier than expected."

The extensive recuperation sidelined McKenzie for the first four rounds of the season, with the Tiger recording nine disposals, three tackles and a behind on her return against the Western Bulldogs, playing limited minutes.

The Tigers lost to the Bulldogs by 17 points, with the loss further soured with season-ending injuries sustained by Hannah Burchell (ACL) and Laura McClelland (ankle syndesmosis), while the extent of Kate Dempsey's ankle injury will be assessed during the week.

sxmamoxZ.jpg

Richmond's Ellie McKenzie is tackled by the Western Bulldogs' Katie Lynch during round five, 2022. Picture: AFL Photos

It was the Dogs' first win for the season, beating Richmond in the contested ball (112-87) and total disposals (244-183).

"The message (from coach Ryan Ferguson) was we kept our fight up. We ended up having one rotation, so we really kept fighting. Even though the going was getting tough, we just kept at it, and I think that was a strong message going forward.

"We won in clearances (by one), so that was a positive, but around the ground and that contested possession work, I think we lacked a bit, so I think we'll go ahead at training and work on that physical side of things."

A few more pics from your personal photo collection there TM2?

Test

Christina Bernardi - Knee Soreness
Ingrid Houtsma - Calf

Unavailable

Courtney Wakefield - Shoulder (Long Term)
Harriet Cordner - Knee (Season)
Hannah Burchell - Knee (Season)
Laura McClelland - Ankle (season)

Updated - February 8, 2022

Misdiagnosing an ACL on game day does not qualify as injury mismanagement LOW.

And read the article on Mckenzie in a post above, I am here to doubt Rob Innes could do any better getting her back given she looked in fine fettle first game back. And shoulder, syndesmosis are obviously impact injuries, as are ACLs.

So what evidence are we actually left with that any of these injuries have been mismanaged?
Thanks Peter, appreciate your input. Rob would have had Ellie back in 3mths not the 6mths it eventually took after the medical team made the rehab up as they went along.

Thanks Peter, appreciate your input. Rob would have had Ellie back in 3mths not the 6mths it eventually took after the medical team made the rehab up as they went along.

Upon what evidence are you relying to make that assessment, Rob? 🤨

And I like how you talk about yourself in 3rd person. 😁

Remove this Banner Ad

Back