Mission: Franklin

Lance Franklin, yay or nay?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He probably misses his old mate Jordan Lisle. ;)

Obviously any club would love to have Buddy, it's just a matter of risk v reward. If there's a way of fitting Franklin into our salary cap and keeping Rich, Redden, Rockliff, Polec, Beams etc. for the future and he wants to play here then sure, where do I sign?

Nah, would rather develop our own stars...of which we have a few coming through.

Buddy would always be a Hawk in the eyes of others, as Fev was always a Blue..

Can't beat home-grown champs...we've also had some of them as well.

At the least Hawthorn or the club that does end up signing franklin will go all out to get him which might shake free a couple of good players we could sign instead.

At the least Hawthorn or the club that does end up signing franklin will go all out to get him which might shake free a couple of good players we could sign instead.

This is also a good point.

I think we may attempt a raid on some of GWS's talent to.

This is an interesting point.

There seems to be a bit of a price bubble emerging for top line key forwards. The smart thing to do would be to stay away from that bubble, and strengthen our list in other areas.

Sydney won the flag last year without a star key forward. So did the Cats in 07, 09 & 11, and the Eagles in 06. An elite forwardline is no more important than an elite midfield or backline. Why spend so much money on it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh god no!!! Not another season long thread about a key forward we should be chasing!!! o_O

Im running for the hills on this one lol... the last one got me frustrated god knows what this one is going to do to me lol

Having said that, I say Nay and look after our stocks we currently have build em up and go forward with the team built from home instead of buying in and buying a premiership.

Nah - we're not going to get him. Would rather other clubs fight over him and we can pick up the 'scraps' (wouldn't mind Whitecross, for example!).

Nah - we're not going to get him. Would rather other clubs fight over him and we can pick up the 'scraps' (wouldn't mind Whitecross, for example!).

This post was going fantastically well until you said Whitecross. We can debate it all we want, the club has just drafted two tall forwards in the national, two tall forwards in the rookie combined with bringing in Martin and Voss' persistence with Luenberger forward as well as Staker coming back from injury, the club has pretty much already said not a chance in hell.

This post was going fantastically well until you said Whitecross. We can debate it all we want, the club has just drafted two tall forwards in the national, two tall forwards in the rookie combined with bringing in Martin and Voss' persistence with Luenberger forward as well as Staker coming back from injury, the club has pretty much already said not a chance in hell.

Whitecross is 184cm? Not a KPP.

Didn't Brisbane used to have the same cushion in their salary cap?

Yep, and if we still had ours I wouldn't have a problem with Sydney having theirs :p Just wait till they beat Collingwobbles in a grand final, then they'll lose it, cost of living variations or not.

Didn't Brisbane used to have the same cushion in their salary cap?

Nope, there were two separate salary cap bumps - one of clubs that didn't have a certain percentage of home-grown players, about 40% IIRC. Brisbane and Sydney qualified for it. The second was the cost of living bump. Sydney (and now GWS) qualify for it. The first was gotten rid of. The second still exists.

Even if he spoke to us, the cost to get him up here would I think hurt our salary cap in 2 or 3 years time as the young players come through.

Back