Movie Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
For some reason not as loved as most of the other action franchises that are churning through installments, the Mission: Impossible movies haven't really had a backwards step since the second one.

The latest is getting all sorts of hype, with some reviews declaring it one of the best action films ever made.

I've seen it, and while I wouldn't get that carried away, it was absolutely brilliant, just a real thrillride and an utter joy. It's the kind of movie that action blockbusters should aspire to be! Tom Cruise is a nutcase, but that's partially what makes him so great. The dude is 56 and still doing these films, breaking his ankle leaping from buildings and just generally throwing himself into these things 110%.

Trailer, for those who've somehow avoided seeing it before a movie:

Comes next Thursday, 2 August.

musclehead22

Senior List
Sep 21, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I feel like people gave up after MI:2 which is fair enough but they have turned things around in amazing fashion. You would think sequels get worse as they go on but this is one of the rare franchises where they seem to get better (well from MI:3 anyway).

Fallout just looks insane, real stunts, real locations, very little CGI, they are kicking Bond's ass. Right now Ghost Protocol is my favourite. If Fallout can top that I will be impressed. Got my tickets for next friday. cant wait. Hopefully with Cavill's appearance (moustache included) it will bring some new fans to the series.

Not sure how people take Rotten Tomatoes but right now Fallout (updated) is 97%. 229 reviews. 223 Fresh. 6 Rotten. Damn, it must be good.

Last edited:

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Absolutely devo the IMAX theatre in Perth is going through renovations as of this upcoming Monday, so no IMAX viewing for this film. Wtf.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
This was my least fave M:I to date, just felt like a bit of a tipping point into franchise dilution, self-reference and irrelevance.

My personal enjoyment would go 1>2>Rogue Nation>3=Ghost Protocol>Fallout

1 is the only classic, but the rest are fine.

Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
This was my least fave M:I to date, just felt like a bit of a tipping point into franchise dilution, self-reference and irrelevance.

My personal enjoyment would go 1>2>Rogue Nation>3=Ghost Protocol>Fallout

1 is the only classic, but the rest are fine.

Well that's a unique perspective!

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Well that's a unique perspective!
Apologies, I'll try to explain myself. Glad others are enjoying this one immensely.

M:I - Fatigue

Aaaaand, we've reached boring point. Fallout is a finely tuned, classy modern blockbuster, but as a Mission film it is too big and self-referring to function. We've seen various franchises reach this tipping point, where the previous entries bleed into a bigger, louder, more serious, more convoluted critical mass; overestimation of self. And that is what we get here. The laughs are more scarce, the practical and legacy dialogue is more laboured, the deceptions more enumerated and tedious, the mechanics more glazed, the ensemble more decentralised, the product more diluted. The previous few entries were warmly full of frothy thrills, caper throwbacks more than anything, secure in their world, whereas this consciously attempts to take on several modern franchises at once (from The Dark Knight to Spectre) and suffers emptily for it.

Tom Cruise returns to form after his wax-mask botox-terror in Rogue Nation, Rhames has now gone full Grandma Hunt, Pegg (whose contribution to the previous two films is one of the series great pleasures) is straight-jacketed by plot and Thom torqued with the equally squirrelly Harris, who erases the goodwill he oozed in Rogue Nation. Meanwhile, Ferguson battles admirably with a peripheral role, Cavill defines the low-light tone on offer, Baldwin looks distracted, and Monaghan continues to linger. Vanessa Kirby scene steals uncannily as a voraciously swanning echo of Max.

The most irrelevant film in the franchise. Whereas III and Ghost Protocol were lovable and impressive despite their middling fate, this is trudging. You could do a lot worse, Fallout maintains the franchise stamp of approval, full of wondrous Ethan-lore shots and iconic moments. However this is all window dressing over a stale, bruised flesh, I couldn't care about this glossy listlessness like I could with the previous five films.

6.5/10

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Didn't like fallout. I thought it was too farfetched. I understand the premise of MI is doing the impossible. It seemed to me the whole movie was impossible, not just 1 or 2 scenes. Like Cruise sprinting for what seems like 2-3 kilometres without taking a breath. Not even Olympic athletes can do that. Helicopter scene where he can fly like a fighter pilot, dodge and weave despite the helicopter being on fire, and then hit the other helicopter. Don't get me wrong. I like action scenes, but i think most of the movie was too over the top and if the movie loses any realism, then it hurts the movie because it is just not believable.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
It's a normal MI movie. A series of action sequences in exotic locations linked by a flimsy plot.

Ethan has to meet a beautiful blonde in a Paris rave club - taxi from Orly? Nah, let's drop him from a military aircraft into an electrical storm!
Nuclear bombs that will contaminate the food of 1/3 of the world's population. Let's have his ex-wife there too, because that's clearly much more important.
The bad guys have two nuclear weapons. Let's have them put both bombs in the same place for no good reason, but cunningly link them together just in case the good guys track them down in a remote mountain region and try to defuse them. Then have the main bad guy fly off in a helicopter clutching the 'detonator' so Ethan can hang onto a ball under another helicopter, overpower the crew, instantly learn how to fly the helicopter etc etc...

Of course Tom is awesome. I could forgive all the plot nonsense but the action sequences were overly long. I was bored.

5/10

Back